Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington DC Attorney General sues Marriott over "deceptive resort fees"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington DC Attorney General sues Marriott over "deceptive resort fees"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:18 am

As I understand it, the DC District Attorney is representing the residents of DC and saying that Marriott is engaging in deception at all of their hotels that charge resort fees across the world. The suit isn't about whether Marriott hotels within DC can have resort fees.

If he prevails, the ruling would only apply to residents living in DC. At that point, Marriott could create a separate reservation process ("Residents of DC: Click Here to Search for Hotel Prices" on the main page) just for those people or they could simply force the mandatory fees to be included in the search results for everyone. Given that other jurisdictions might start copy-cat suits, I'd guess that Marriott would choose the later option.

In theory, all other hotel chains would voluntarily make changes to avoid a lawsuit. Since most online travel agencies (OTAs) pull rates from the chains, they would end up still having the same rates. Although if it happens, the changeover is going to be a mess.

I don't think the FTC applies here, since the ruling only affects residents of DC.

That's my take on it. For the record, I'm not a lawyer, although I did play one on TV once (seriously).
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Why do people keep saying resort fees are tax exempt?

From Sheraton Waikiki:

Please note-Daily resort fee of USD 36 plus tax will be added to room rate-includes Internet, bottled water, Go Pro rental and more.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve always been charged tax on resort fees in the USA. Incidentally the EU does say the price shown in the initial search must include all fees. So if I search on say hotels.com I’ll see say 3 nights £450. If I then go to book it might be £390 charged with a message stating I’ll have to pay $75 at the hotel. Still a bit of a muddle but at least it makes the search return a realistic price.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You generally can't overrule the FTC and Washington DC will have to convince the District Court of DC that 1) It has jurisdiction which DC justifies as violating their Consumer Protection Law 2) Marriott is hurting DC consumers, and 3) The much harder one - That the DC Consumer Protection Law supersedes the regulatory decisions of the FTC and that law pertains to the advertising of hotel pricing in the District.
This is not correct. If the FTC takes actions to preempt states from regulating in this area then DC would have to make this showing, but it hasn't done that. This is different from the airline fees issue, where the FAA has exclusive jurisdiction over airlines and states can't touch them. Even if the FTC says "we're fine with this hotel practice," states are free to say "that's great but our laws are tougher and we're not fine with it." That's not overruling the FTC, it's just applying different laws.

If it becomes a Federal Case other States can join in.

And this isn't even in a State Court - it is in a District Court.
Other states are free to join even if it's not a federal case, and local D.C. courts are considered equivalent to state courts.

The DC Attorney General does this for a living and knows what he's doing. There's never a guarantee that you'll win a case by bringing it but he's smart enough not to bring a case that's completely dead on arrival. Especially when the target is a semi-local business that can make big donations to his next election opponent. Give the guy a little credit for thinking this through before suing.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
If it becomes a Federal Case other States can join in.

And this isn't even in a State Court - it is in a District Court.

To really get the resort fees in the room rate - this really comes down to creating a Federal Law or the FTC making a ruling such as they did in airline pricing.
I would generally recommend reading a complaint before acting like you know what you're talking about, the complaint was filed in D.C. Superior Court. I'd also read up on exactly in what circumstances, and through what kind of action, an agency can pre-empt state action.

See https://oag.dc.gov/sites/default/fil...-Complaint.pdf
haveric likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Why do people keep saying resort fees are tax exempt?

Hotel taxes vary by jurisdiction. In the United Sates, often there are multiple taxes, such as sales tax, state lodging tax, and local hotel occupancy tax. There may be places where the scam fee is taxed at a lower rate than the room itself (or possibly not at all, although I assume this is very rare).

But that doesn't mean it's a wonderful deal for guests, especially not for Elite guests.

A Titanium Elite guest earns 17.5 Marriott Bonvoy Points per $1 spent — but not for taxes and fees.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
At the end of the day, I'm just glad this is getting some traction and I hope it generates some mainstream media coverage. Exposing this fraud on a bigger stage can eventually lead to some PR troubles for those who perpetrate it and - maybe - some change as a result of that.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:02 pm

The problem if you let every District/State/City regulate the online advertising of hotel prices is different laws everywhere and these advertisements certainly go across state lines. If you want confusing, lets say no resort fees in the District, resort fees ok in Hawaii but need to be disclosed, resort fees ok in Las Vegas and don't even need to be disclosed, and so and so on if you don't have Federal regulation.
This isn't really a problem, there are literally trillions of commercial regulations already that vary from state to state. If a particular company finds the variance too confusing they can simply follow the most restrictive state's regulations. E.g. if Nevada permits resort fees, it doesn't mean Marriott properties in that state are REQUIRED to charge them.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think what bothers me the most about these resort fees is I am forced to buy something I don't want and would never buy!

- photo taken by a photographer
- discount coupon for men's clothing shop
- discount coupon to aquariums that imprison dolphins
- bottles of water
- hula lesson
- ukulele lesson
etc

It's all nonsense. And if there is something of value like a free drink, then that's only available once even though you have to keep paying the resort fee every day!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Asia has had something similar called a "Service Charge". Inflates the rate by 10-20%, including food & beverage. And it rarely goes to the staff serving you.
At the hotels at which I stay in Bangkok, the 10% service charge goes to the non-management staff 100% of the time.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OT but I remember a time when IIRC Hilton had a policy that one guest sharing a room with an elite or HHonors participant would be free. They advertised it as a benefit to take one's wife along on business trips....
Great business strategy. The "wives" cause the hotel to incur negligible marginal cost in terms of room cleaning and preparation; but they eat and drink, resulting in additional spend with basically zero additional cost.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Great business strategy. The "wives" cause the hotel to incur negligible marginal cost in terms of room cleaning and preparation; but they eat and drink, resulting in additional spend with basically zero additional cost.
Seems Japan hasn’t caught on.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
In fact, Marriott loses when these fees are charged separately and not bundled into the room rate, as booking commissions are based on the room rate only.
I don't think Marriott loses overall. They get management fees for operating hotels as well as bonuses for hitting revenue and profit targets, so resort fees certainly help Marriott earn money in other places. I suspect if Marriott was 'losing' they wouldn't allow it. I think some management contracts call for a straight % of revenue so that would include resort fees.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I think what bothers me the most about these resort fees is I am forced to buy something I don't want and would never buy!

- photo taken by a photographer
- discount coupon for men's clothing shop
- discount coupon to aquariums that imprison dolphins
- bottles of water
- hula lesson
- ukulele lesson
etc

It's all nonsense. And if there is something of value like a free drink, then that's only available once even though you have to keep paying the resort fee every day!
Would it bother you less of the ukelele lesson was included as part of the room rate and the resort fee was just a fee and didn't explicitly fund any amenity at all?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:17 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Would it bother you less of the ukelele lesson was included as part of the room rate and the resort fee was just a fee and didn't explicitly fund any amenity at all?
If rates are more transparent, market forces are more likely to impact a hotel's decision to have ukelele lessons included at all.

I think margarita girl makes a good point, though. With maybe one exception (at an actual resort), I think I've always looked through the list of 'amenities' and decided I don't care about any of them except for wifi. The hotel is clearly making things up to justify the scam.
IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Nicoolio
I don't think Marriott loses overall. They get management fees for operating hotels as well as bonuses for hitting revenue and profit targets, so resort fees certainly help Marriott earn money in other places. I suspect if Marriott was 'losing' they wouldn't allow it. I think some management contracts call for a straight % of revenue so that would include resort fees.
Marriott loses the booking commission even if the negotiated management or franchise fee is based on gross revenue. That’s probably why properties’ decisions to apply resort fees have to be approved by Marriott. A $50 resort fee bundled into the room rate would generate Marriott some ~$7 in booking commission on top of whatever management or franchise fees those $50 would already generate as standalone resort fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.