Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott refusing to honor old points rate prior to March 5th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,

I made a reservation with Marriott points advance to the Maldives on March 4th and prior to March 5th (when the new categories came into effect). It is for a stay at St Regis Maldives. Because of availability, I had to make 2 separate bookings. 1st was for 3 nights in garden Villa and cost 180k points. The 2nd was for 2 nights in OWV and cost 160k points. Since it's 2 different bookings in different room types, Marriott refused to give me a free night (I'm a gold member) which is painful but that's apparently the rule.

However, now Marriott claims that my 2nd booking was made on the 5th (and the 1st booking on the 4th) and say they're going to charge 240k points for the 2 OWV nights (that's the new going rate). I told them that both bookings were made around the same time and for sure on the 4th. For some weird reason, I never got confirmation emails for either booking. However, I sent an email to St Regis Maldives on the 4th with both reservation numbers (gotten from the website) trying to combine both bookings into one. I've sent them that email twice but they've still not resolved the issue. I've now been trying to get those fixed for over a month now and they keep telling me someone from the right team would call or email me back but never do. It's been very frustrating.

Does anyone know of a way I can escalate this further? Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:47 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I'd suggest reaching out to one of the Marriott Bonvoy Lurkers. They should be able to help get your issue moving toward resolution.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:08 pm

I remember reading someone saying that bookings and cancellations follow properties’ timezones. I don’t know where OP is based and what time was the booking, but maybe it was already past the deadline in the Maldives?

Last edited by MePlatPremier; Jul 5, 2019 at 6:19 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:30 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
I remember reading someone saying that bookings and cancellations follow properties’ timezones. I don’t know where OP is based and what time was the booking, but maybe it was already past the deadline in the Maldives?
I am not trying to argue your point, but when I make a reservation where I am physically located and the rate offered at that time should be honored regardless of wherever the destination is. It's unfortunate that the OP never got confirmation showing the rate at the time of reservation, though.

LAX
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
I am not trying to argue your point, but when I make a reservation where I am physically located and the rate offered at that time should be honored regardless of wherever the destination is.....
My understanding is it is, akin to cancellation policy or advance purchase requirement, based on time zone of property. MLE is UTC+5 but St Regis is, one hour ahead, UTC+6. It is unclear when OP actual made those PA reservations.

I never understanding why people waited until very last minute to book when time zone difference became an issue. PA reservations don't generate confirmation emails. I take screenshots when I make PA reservations.

Main thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-thread-7.html
Happy and RedSun like this.

Last edited by TerryK; Jul 5, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:18 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by TerryK
My understanding is it is, akin to cancellation policy or advance purchase requirement, based on time zone of property. Maldives is UTC+5 but St Regis is, one hour ahead, UTC+6. It is unclear when OP actual made those PA reservations.

I never understanding why people waited until very last minute to book when time zone difference became an issue. PA reservations don't generate confirmation emails. I take screenshots when I make PA reservations.

Main thread:
I have never done a PA reservation before, so this is good for my future reference. However, if you are able to produce the screenshots of the reservation at a particular rate, shouldn't that be honored regardless of the difference in time zones between you & the property?

LAX
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
.........if you are able to produce the screenshots of the reservation at a particular rate, shouldn't that be honored regardless of the difference in time zones between you & the property?......
I agree for paid, either by cash or points, reservations. PA reservations, which is unique to Marriott, are a different animal. It is academic anyway as OP doesn't seem to have screenshots.

Note if you try to make a cash 3 day advance purchase reservation, you need to make it 3 days prior to hotel's time zone. I learn this the hard way.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:56 pm
kkl

I literally just called up yesterday to customer service to issue my a few PA reservations booked before march 5.

Took less than 2 minutes. Deducted the new cat 8 rates and received the difference back
Happy likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
I am not trying to argue your point, but when I make a reservation where I am physically located and the rate offered at that time should be honored regardless of wherever the destination is. It's unfortunate that the OP never got confirmation showing the rate at the time of reservation, though.

LAX
No. It goes by the time zone of the property.

Even SPG went by the property's time zone when the new chart went in effect. It has been a pet peeve for many SPG customers but that is how it is. On top of that SPG did not have point advance booking and points were deducted immediately at booking. People found the rate levels went up before the midnight of US time zones. SPG told them the change happened at the local time .

To go further on this, American Airlines ticketing deadline on award booking (the airline allows 5 days hold) is the 11:59pm of the departure city's time zone and NOT where you are physically located when you make the reservation, i.e. EST, CST, MST etc. Many have been caught by the CET - Central European Time when their departure cities are in Europe, and find out their reservations have been canceled when they go to ticket it before midnight of CST.

Why people wait till the very last moment to book their reward bookings is beyond me. But this seems to happen Every Year and then we see threads about their bookings are not honored...bla bla bla.
RedSun likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I'd suggest reaching out to one of the Marriott Bonvoy Lurkers. They should be able to help get your issue moving toward resolution.
Thanks. Any idea who these people are so I can get in touch with them?

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
I'm in the US on the East coast. I don't know when exactly I booked but I sent the email just past 8pm my time.

Regardless, it doesn't make sense that it'd be based on the time zone of the Maldives because when I booked it, it clearly showed me the points required and it was the fewer points. To then change it on me afterwards is the issue.

Originally Posted by LAX

LAX
Yup, that's what I think also

My understanding is it is, akin to cancellation policy or advance purchase requirement, based on time zone of property. MLE is UTC+5 but St Regis is, one hour ahead, UTC+6. It is unclear when OP actual made those PA reservations.

Main thread:
I don't think it's unclear. They have an email from me with the time the reservation was made. They can check when they received that email and so, it's very clear that I made it before midnight.

Main thread:
That explains why I didn't get a confirmation. Crazy that they are then asking me to provide that as evidence. Ridiculous

I agree for paid, either by cash or points, reservations. PA reservations, which is unique to Marriott, are a different animal. It is academic anyway as OP doesn't seem to have screenshots.

Note if you try to make a cash 3 day advance purchase reservation, you need to make it 3 days prior to hotel's time zone. I learn this the hard way.
You're right. I didn't realize I needed to take screenshots.

However, if it really goes by the timezone of the property, my first reservation would also not have applied for the credit. The resort is 10 hours ahead of me and I definitely made both reservations a few minutes apart and in the evening. There's no way either reservation would have been made before their midnight and they recognize the first as being made on the 4th. As such, I doubt your thoughts that it's based on the resort's midnight.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 6, 2019 at 10:25 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by gbenrus25
I don't think it's unclear. They have an email from me with the time the reservation was made. They can check when they received that email and so, it's very clear that I made it before midnight.
Email from you on what? The time you said you made the reservation or an email from Marriott date stamped on when you made a reservation?

And as someone else mentioned, midnight your time or the hotel’s time?

having said that, if you took a screen print, I hope Marriott will honor it.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kkl
I literally just called up yesterday to customer service to issue my a few PA reservations booked before march 5.

Took less than 2 minutes. Deducted the new cat 8 rates and received the difference back
Any chance you remember what time of the day you made the reservations?
​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Happy
No. It goes by the time zone of the property.

Even SPG went by the property's time zone when the new chart went in effect. It has been a pet peeve for many SPG customers but that is how it is. On top of that SPG did not have point advance booking and points were deducted immediately at booking. People found the rate levels went up before the midnight of US time zones. SPG told them the change happened at the local time .

To go further on this, American Airlines ticketing deadline on award booking (the airline allows 5 days hold) is the 11:59pm of the departure city's time zone and NOT where you are physically located when you make the reservation, i.e. EST, CST, MST etc. Many have been caught by the CET - Central European Time when their departure cities are in Europe, and find out their reservations have been canceled when they go to ticket it before midnight of CST.

Why people wait till the very last moment to book their reward bookings is beyond me. But this seems to happen Every Year and then we see threads about their bookings are not honored...bla bla bla.
It sounds like the SPG issue is different. From my understanding, in that case, people were expecting a price to remain till midnight but when they went to book, the price had increased even though it wasn't midnight yet. If when I went to make the reservation, it showed the new chart's points, that'd be a whole different ball game. However, for me to make a reservation and have that changed on me later on seems wrong. Not honoring rates that have been booked seems off to me.

Originally Posted by myperks

Email from you on what? The time you said you made the reservation or an email from Marriott date stamped on when you made a reservation?

And as someone else mentioned, midnight your time or the hotel’s time?

having said that, if you took a screen print, I hope Marriott will honor it.
I sent Marriott an email shortly after making the reservation to combine my bookings. The argument I've heard from Marriott so far is that I made the reservation after midnight my time. My email (and the time stamp on it) confirms that I made the reservation before midnight my time. It's only on this thread that I'm hearing about midnight the resort's time. Marriott's CS hadn't used that as the reason previously (but then again, I haven't talked to the proper department still).

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 6, 2019 at 10:26 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by gbenrus25
I sent Marriott an email shortly after making the reservation to combine my bookings. The argument I've heard from Marriott so far is that I made the reservation after midnight my time. My email (and the time stamp on it) confirms that I made the reservation before midnight my time. It's only on this thread that I'm hearing about midnight the resort's time. Marriott's CS hadn't used that as the reason previously (but then again, I haven't talked to the proper department still).
thanks for that clarification. Hope you work it out. Just out of curiosity, how close were you to midnight of local time? As much mess the Marriott IT system is, timestamps are harder to mess up (but I’m not a IT person). In the master points advance thread Marriott has been making good on (most) bookings that were properly time stamped in the system.

Someone mentioned that the two resorts were in two separate time zones so curious on that as well.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What exactly was the time your email was sent and from what timezone? If you tell us this information, someone here can double check what time it would have been in the Maldives.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

thanks for that clarification. Hope you work it out. Just out of curiosity, how close were you to midnight of local time? As much mess the Marriott IT system is, timestamps are harder to mess up (but I’m not a IT person). In the master points advance thread Marriott has been making good on (most) bookings that were properly time stamped in the system.

Someone mentioned that the two resorts were in two separate time zones so curious on that as well.
Thanks man. I believe I made the reservations around 7pm local time. I sent the email at 8:17pm local time.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What exactly was the time your email was sent and from what timezone? If you tell us this information, someone here can double check what time it would have been in the Maldives.
Timezone was EST. Email sent at 8:17pm local time

The reservations are for the same resort. Just different room types

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 6, 2019 at 10:27 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.