Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott requiring me to change my password

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:37 pm
abk
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.

I just received an email for a weekend promotion with a link to Marriott. The link took me to Marriott to log in and when I attempted to it required me to change my password. I changed browsers and then computers to log in to my account and each time received the same message:
​​​​​​
Your immediate action is required.

In a continuing effort to safeguard your account, we are requiring you to change your password.

We recommend that you create a password that is unique to this site to help ensure the security of your account.

I called them and the agent was clueless and of course there is no website security department to talk to as they only have an email link and not a phone number. I did ask the agent to make sure my points were still there.

Anyone else having this issue?

edited to add that I received the same message on my phone so it must be legitimate.

Last edited by abk; Jul 3, 2019 at 4:50 pm Reason: Add information
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:53 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by abk
I just received an email for a weekend promotion with a link to Marriott. The link took me to Marriott to log in and when I attempted to it required me to change my password. I changed browsers and then computers to log in to my account and each time received the same message:
​​​​​​
Your immediate action is required.

In a continuing effort to safeguard your account, we are requiring you to change your password.

We recommend that you create a password that is unique to this site to help ensure the security of your account.

I called them and the agent was clueless and of course there is no website security department to talk to as they only have an email link and not a phone number. I did ask the agent to make sure my points were still there.

edited to add that I received the same message on my phone so it must be legitimate.
Our apologies for any inconvenience, but this can happen from time to time. Members will occasionally be asked to change their online Passwords upon sign in. If asked about this, we are supposed to advise:
  • This is a normal process and you should not be alarmed
  • Password resets are in place to help protect your Personal and Account Information
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:07 pm

Obviously a scam, at least in my opinion. When it’s beginning with “Immediate action required”, I do not answer.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:33 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Simply searching "does requiring a password change increase security" shows that most studies end up determining that it does little to increase security and may actually decrease it. But, YMMMV.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Vulcan
most studies end up determining that it does little to increase security and may actually decrease it.
It's called "security theatre".
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Just don't log into sites you're directed to via email links as a matter of course. Safer that way.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:15 pm
abk
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
William thanks for the quick reply on the eve of a holiday weekend. That is really you and I can disregard the other posts?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
william usually signs his posts, doesn't he? could be another of the lurkers...

anyway, to be safe, try to log into marriott.com. if that requires a password change, do it. like you, I'm *very* suspicious of links in emails--as stated above, best course of action is not to log into sites you get to through an email link.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by karenkay
william usually signs his posts, doesn't he?
He did.

Originally Posted by karenkay
best course of action is not to log into sites you get to through an email link.
The best advice is simply to never click a link in an email.
karenkay likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:48 pm
Suspended

If its legit you wont beable to login unless you change your pin. I ran into this yesterday and dont recall getting an email to do so

But its not so simple, after I clicked to reset my pin, and inputted all the requested info and receieved a temp password via email to confirm everything, it was a total waste of my time. Went thru it twice and both times it didnt pick up on my new pin so I had to login using my old pin which of cause got me to the pg to change my pin. So I called up and the audio line doesnt recognize my tel#.

end result was the csr sent me an email that sent me to reset my pin and finally it took and I was able to gain access to my acct

Just gotta LUV being BONVOYED
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by abk

Yeah, me, a couple of days ago. Got the same message.

Went directly to the website and it forced me to change my password.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Elite, Formerly SPG Plat 100), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's called "security theatre".
My cynical side makes me assume that password has been compromised whenever a website fails to recognize my correct password (and/or user name) or requires an immediate reset.

It’s been happening more and more lately. Color me skeptical.
Jane
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
Obviously a scam, at least in my opinion. When it’s beginning with “Immediate action required”, I do not answer.
So logging into Marriott's site with your existing ID/pwd and getting this message is obviously a scam?

Who exactly are you not going to answer?

How will you ever log in to Marriott's site it it is forcing you to change your password and you "do not answer"?

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Just don't log into sites you're directed to via email links as a matter of course. Safer that way.
Good general advice, but not relevant to OP.

And yes, many common "security" processes are laughed at by security professionals. Force a user to change passwords every 60 days, with no repeats, and they'll start writing in on a sticky at their desk to keep track of it.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by JaneStarr
My cynical side makes me assume that password has been compromised whenever a website fails to recognize my correct password (and/or user name) or requires an immediate reset.
Our company once sent out a "It's cyber security month, so we are requiring everyone to change their passwords by 6p today or you will be locked out."

Needless to say, that wasn't why.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
He did.

The best advice is simply to never click a link in an email.
oddly, i didn’t—and still don’t—see the signature on my end.
you're absolutely right about the email links, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.