Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Keyless entry - does anyone use this feature?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)

I find the keyless entry feature disappointing, as it's too slow and cumbersome: I have to unlock the phone, bring up the app, tap on the key icon, then hold the phone to the lock for a few moments. Compare that to tapping with the card and watching the light turn green right away.

Am I doing it wrong?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
I use it when available and working correctly. At one property I frequent that means I can enter the building from the side door (next to the parking lot) and proceed to my room without stopping by the front desk.

If you have your key card already in hand, it is faster than using the phone. If your phone is already in your hand, can be unlocked with a fingerprint reader and you can get to the mobile key screen quickly via shortcut on home screen it avoids digging for a key card. I also have tendency to demagnetize key cards so having the phone avoids a trip back down the elevator.
markko likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fliesdelta

Am I doing it wrong?
No, I don't find it convenient either. Since I'm always carrying at least a credit card and a license, one more card is easy enough to carry, and is much easier to use than a phone...like you noticed, fewer touches with the card.

I'm stopping by the desk when I first get to a hotel anyway. Even if I were using the phone, I'd want a key as a backup in case my phone dies. But there are usually other reasons too. And while I'm sure it would horrify some people in these times, occasionally I don't want to carry my phone with me, such as if I'm going for a run.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Yes, I use it since my iPhone is always with me so no worries about the room 'key'.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Rarely find it to work and usually get error message. Some say it’s my phone yet the Hilton mobile key works flawlessly for me. 🤷🏻.♀️
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:28 am

If there are two people in the room, can each use keyless entry on their own phone or does one have to get a key card?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I hate the phone app for Marriott and Hilton and just use the actual key - faster and no errors
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
I really only utilize mobile key for two reasons (I'm a traditional key fan)

1. I forget my room key (usually right after my door shuts and instantly realize what I did) in my room.

2. The few instances where my key is available when using mobile check in, I use it to bypass the front desk and go straight to my room. The next time I go through the lobby, I ask for real keys.
KRSW, chrisl137 and JBord like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
No because outside of your actual room, I find that it does not work anywhere else. During my last couple of stays, I've had instances where the keyless would not work at the concierge lounge, the elevator or the parking garage. Whats the point if you need to still carry the actual keys for everything else including getting up to your room.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
rarely use it. too much trouble.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
My biggest problem with keyless entry: most of the time the elevator closes its doors and starts moving on me before I’ve managed to get the phone to trigger the lock that allows me to select a floor.
Thysk, Chewie and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I just get error messages. I've stayed at three or four Marriotts that had the functionality and even popped up the notice in the app to get the digital key, but it either never arrives or just crashes my app. Happens on both a Pixel 3 and an iPhone 6s. So I've literally never actually seen Marriott's version in action. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times.

I used Hilton's digital key all the time. I love it for arrival - going directly to my room without a stop at the front desk is a huge benefit. If I want a physical card, which sometimes I do, I know I can just ask for one whenever I pass the front desk later and there's no one else waiting for a clerk. Hilton's version occasionally has a snag - getting into pool or gym areas is one that's bitten me before - but overall it's reasonably good. At most hotels, the time it takes for the phone to open the door is about the same time it takes me to walk from the moment my phone is in range (and I can tap the green icon) to the door itself. So it does not feel like a real delay to me.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Marriott's isn't very good. With the Hilton version, you can unlock the door when you're still a few feet away allowing you to walk right in as opposed to needing to hold the phone near the door. This system works much better.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Echoing many comments here, rarely use it as it doesnt work consistently. Much easier to keep a real key in my wallet.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Rarely use it. When I do it is plagued with errors.
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.