FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Have You Changed Brands Now That Marriott Has So Many? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1976396-have-you-changed-brands-now-marriott-has-so-many.html)

Dalewood Jul 1, 2019 4:28 pm

Have You Changed Brands Now That Marriott Has So Many?

Not only have I yet to stay at an ex-Starwood property, I have not even stayed at the newer brands such as Moxy, Aloft, or Autograph Collection. I guess I have not "gone exploring" because I know what I am getting from the old Marriott brands. Anyone else like me?

ftrichard Jul 1, 2019 6:20 pm

Definately. I'm staying at Courtyards, Marriotts, JWs, and Renaissances that I would not have done when it was just SPG.

Courtywards in Asia (Taipei Downtown, Iloilo, HK, Sha Tin) are great value with lounges, breakfast, suite upgrades at some, evening food and drinks. Full service. I find them better than Four Points because of the lounges.

New Marriotts (HK Ocean Park, Shenzhen Nanshan) are great hotels with good recognition and lounges. Old ones are indestinguishable from legacy Sheratons.

JW (KL, HK) and Renaissance (Shanghai Yu Garden) are solid hotels though I don't find the brands to be particularly distinctive for the prices (much like Sheraton Grands and Westins).

I don't stick to one brand but tend to stick to around the same rate of US$120-150 inc taxes etc. So that determines where I look in a particular city. The merger has expanded my footprint of available hotels.

Dr. HFH Jul 1, 2019 7:18 pm

I haven't had occasion to yet, but I would in a minute. When I'm looking for a room in a certain location, I now consider all Marriott brands equally.

mahasamatman Jul 1, 2019 7:32 pm

When booking, I consider any and all Marriott brands except W. More brands means more opportunities for BRG.

ryw Jul 1, 2019 9:28 pm

Legacy MAR member. I'm definitely staying at more US Courtyards this year since they implemented the $10 F&B platinum benefit, and will likely stay at them more (whereas I used to avoid them like the plague due to their complete lack of benefits previously). I still tend to stick to legacy MAR properties, but have gone to a Sheraton and a Four Points this year when the price was right, and had a decent experience. I'll consider almost any property in the combined portfolio, but I'm often paying out of pocket for stays, so I tend to be more price sensitive in my choices.

kaizen7 Jul 2, 2019 3:18 am

Not change, but additions.

Still stays at St R and LuxCols but now can consider RC properties as well for luxury hotels.

And for the rest I find that Marriott legacy brands complement legacy SPG well

Beltway2A Jul 2, 2019 5:02 am

Legacy SPG - I find myself staying at more Courtyards than I previously did. I still favor the legacy SPG brands I enjoyed (Aloft, Westin, W, LuxCol), but don't mind a Courtyard or RC where the above are not available.

Handcake Jul 2, 2019 6:27 am

Was Marriott only before. I've done Westin and Sheraton since the merger. I really like Sheraton's beds/pillows and lounges so probably would stay with them when the price is right!

TechnoTourist Jul 2, 2019 6:36 am

I've got an upcoming stay at the SFO Westin instead of the Marriott which is my usual hotel for the night before early morning SFO departures. Prices were similar, so I decided to try to the Westin for a single night just to see how it compares. Most of my stays are still at legacy Marriott brands.

JBord Jul 2, 2019 6:57 am

I wouldn't say I've changed brands. But when all else was equal in the past, I considered Marriott, Hilton, Starwood, Hyatt, in that order. Now it's Marriott/Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt, so I find I'm rarely staying at Hiltons -- just a few nights so far this year.

Among the Starwood brands, I still find myself staying mainly at Westins and Sheratons. But it's the same with Marriott. I rarely stay at Fairfield Inn (1 night this year), RI (0), or SHS (0) - mostly CY's, FS Marriott, and Ren.

CPH-Flyer Jul 2, 2019 7:26 am

I have tried a couple of St Regis, Four Points, and have partially forgiven Westin and stayed at a few of them again, Sherston has also gotten a few bookings. Most of these would not have happened without the merger.

I also got around to staying at Protea, it that was more a consequence of finally going to a country were it was an option.

EuropeanPete Jul 2, 2019 7:29 am

At the budget level, I’ve found newer Renaissance hotels to be good, plus some AC’s and Moxy’s when really trying to save money. At the luxury/ close luxury level I have been staying at but not really enjoying RC’s and I do look out for any good Autographs just in case.

Ryno1234 Jul 2, 2019 9:18 am

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist (Post 31261282)
I've got an upcoming stay at the SFO Westin instead of the Marriott which is my usual hotel for the night before early morning SFO departures. Prices were similar, so I decided to try to the Westin for a single night just to see how it compares. Most of my stays are still at legacy Marriott brands.

Please report back and let us know about the SFO Westin. I am in San Fran frequently and the SFO Marriott is not only my go to there, but one of my favorite non-beach Marriotts in the country. Great lounge. good restaurant, awesome plane spotting :), good staff, decent gym, etc. I've been hesitant to change due to "if it aint broke dont fix it" syndrome.

injian Jul 2, 2019 10:09 am

legacy SPG and still prefer staying at either Sheraton, Four points or a Westin. Have stayed at a Courtyard for one night stays and its perfectly fine.

arlflyer Jul 2, 2019 10:39 am

Westins. So many Westins.