Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Have You Changed Brands Now That Marriott Has So Many?

Have You Changed Brands Now That Marriott Has So Many?

Old Jul 3, 19, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire, Bonvoy/HH/Melia/Club Carlson Gold, Shangri-la Jade
Personally Iíve enjoyed the extra brands since the merger but still prefer the old SPG brands.

Ritz-Carlton, Edition, Autograpgh, Ren, Moxy and AC hotels are all welcome editions to the old Starwoods portfolio. Still think we could do with more hotels in the UK
Old Jul 3, 19, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by GateGuardian View Post
Want to try staying at a W, but never within our company budget.
If you're traveling for work, a W is probably the last place you want to be staying. Even for leisure travel, you're not missing much.
Old Jul 3, 19, 6:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
If you're traveling for work, a W is probably the last place you want to be staying. Even for leisure travel, you're not missing much.
A bit of a generalisation, surely.
Old Jul 3, 19, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I actively seek out Ws on my work trips. Not even a Millennial! But I do have to dodge the groups of low income 6 21 year olds staying in a single room, carrying up their beer coolers.
moondog and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jul 3, 19, 8:44 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Exp, Shangri-La
The opposite scenario from what the OP is referring to, but I was lifetime Platinum in Starwood, so, in true FlyerTalk fashion, now that it has carried over to Lifetime Titanium at Marriott, I have not stayed in many Marriott brands as I build up status in other chains.

I have managed around 15 Marriott nights this year, around half of them at the JW Marriott Dubai, which used to be my go-to hotel in Dubai and my favorite value of any Marriott (rooms often well under $100) in the system -- until it closed permanently and unexpectedly a month ago.

Looking forward to trying the W in Muscat soon, though. Marriott's promotion of 1,500 bonus points for a two-night stay, minimal as it, was a tie-breaker vs. the Grand Hyatt, though the two hotels are in the same location and around the same price and I assume that the W will be far superior even before taking status benefits into account.
Old Jul 3, 19, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K & MM, MR Titanium, Discovery Plat
I've been staying at a few Sheratons and have liked the properties and the lounges. But I have to admit I am slow at crossing over to former SPG properties because I am never sure how I will be treated as an Elite.
Old Jul 3, 19, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Before the programs were combined, I was 2/3 SPG & 1/3 Marriott. I stay slightly more in legacy Marriott now because of proximity to my clients.
Old Jul 3, 19, 9:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
I actively seek out Ws on my work trips. Not even a Millennial! But I do have to dodge the groups of low income 6 21 year olds staying in a single room, carrying up their beer coolers.
Indeed, Doha is one non-stop frat-fest. You'd think they'd stop hosting spring break there all the time.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Aug 2, 19, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A lot of my travel is to second and third tier cities which aren't within 100 miles of a former SPG property so I'm still at a lot of CY/FI/SHS type places. However, when I'm in big cities I have been able to enjoy some ex-SPG places which has made for a nice change.
Old Aug 2, 19, 10:15 pm

Programs: SPG LTP
We were all SPG all the time. We haven't necessarily sought out new (to us) Marriott brands for the sake of doing so, but have enjoyed additional options for some our post-merger trips. Of note, Domes of Elounda and Renaissance Beijing, both of which we really liked. Stayed at the Courtyard King Kamehameha in Kona last month. Not spectacular, but a good value in a nice location.

More than anything, what the merger did for us was open our eyes to life without SPG, which has also meant stays at VRBO, Airbnb, and non-Marriott/SPG hotels. In Vietnam, we chose a boutique hotel in Hoi An and an Angsana resort because it met our needs more than anything Marriott has. For an upcoming stay in Honolulu, we were planning our usual hotel (Sheraton Waikiki), but the price was unreasonably high so we did something we haven't done in almost a decade...Hotwire.

I guess we're less blinded by loyalty than we used to be and that's ok. We'll continue to choose Marriott hotels when they fit our needs and are located where we want to be. We used to go out of our way to be loyal. I think those days have passed.
Old Aug 3, 19, 2:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver
I treat all Bonvoy properties the same when it comes to choosing where to stay. Ever since the merger and combination of programs, I really like how regardless of the size of the city, I can easily find a Bonvoy property. Before the merger, primary loyalty was to SPG and then to IHG for all the small town stays. Now, I can do a road trip through Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, and Colorado and I don't have to stay outside of Bonvoy.

Never knew there was a Sheridan Wyoming, until I booked a room for a night there at the Fairfield Inn, or a Deadwood South Dakota till I spent a night at their Springhill Suites. On week+ vacations, I even plan it so at least couple of times we stay at Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, Fairfield Inn so we can do laundry. Last December, I chose to stay at the Residence Inn Frankfurt because it was centrally located, had coin laundry and was reasonably priced. Well, go figure the hotel was too new that they hadn't put in the laundry machines yet and we had to go searching for coin laundry in town.

Last edited by seat38a; Aug 3, 19 at 2:37 am
Old Aug 4, 19, 2:37 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
After the merger I had stays in Marriott, JW Marriott, Renaissance, Courtyard, Moxy, AC Hotel, Residence Inn, Autograph Collection and Luxury Collection, while before I was only at Sheraton, Four Points, Le Meridien and Westin.

My TOP 3: Marriott, Sheraton, Renaissance.

Search this Thread