Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Results in getting the DESTINATION FEE waived at Marriott branded properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Results in getting the DESTINATION FEE waived at Marriott branded properties

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My employer won't reimburse resort fees, although I'm not sure what the rule is if it's labeled as a destination fee or some other euphemism for scam fee.
Horace and Thysk like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Huh?

High-speed ("enhanced" internet access) is available to Golds and above as an elite benefit per Terms & Conditions section 4.3.b.v. (some brand exclusions apply, such as EDITION, Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Aloft, Element, & Vistana.)

It's not a replacement benefit.
I guess it is how they define "enhanced," but yes, on further thought, I agree with you. I typically don't stay at properties that impose a resort fee unless the fee combined with the room rate is still a better value. I was unaware of the "replacement" verbage. I will give that a go next time.

I just completed 2, 2 night stays at the Westin Puerto Vallarta which imposes a daily $15 resort fee. I was on a $102 nightly rate with a daily $100 resort credit so I wasn't too concerned about the resort fee. I was even upgraded to a Preium Ocean View, Club level with a Whirlpool on the deck.

James
dgreen12 and Thysk like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My employer won't reimburse resort fees, although I'm not sure what the rule is if it's labeled as a destination fee or some other euphemism for scam fee.
so if hotel A is $140 a night plus $35 resort fee and a similar hotel is $185 a night with no resort fee, you are forced to stay at the $185 a night hotel.

This is one of the reasons I am thrilled to be self employed.

i also do not understand the ‘ I will never pay a resort fee’ attitudes. As long as you tell me, in advance, what I am paying then I can make an informed decision and i am fine with it.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:52 pm

I generally avoid hotels which charge destination/resort fees. I've not stayed in any this year, BUT, I have stayed in a few which normally charge for parking and have gotten that waived, sometimes proactively by the hotel because they recognize I stay there somewhat often.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Curious ... while all things being equal I'll avoid hotels which charge destination/resort fees (which I consider to be deceptive even if disclosed), what do you give as an explanation for getting it waived?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Curious ... while all things being equal I'll avoid hotels which charge destination/resort fees (which I consider to be deceptive even if disclosed), what do you give as an explanation for getting it waived?
I think this was already asked and OP still has not answered.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by eyeball1
I think this was already asked and OP still has not answered.
Sorry for the long delay in replying. This is to all that asked what I tell the hotel to get it waived. Basically once I find out if the hotel has a resort fee I call and ask for the front office manager. I tell him or her I am an Ambassador and Lifetime Titanium and I don't want to pay the fee. I explain that other hotels have waived it and I won't be using any of the "stuff" included like wine tastings or whatever. Except for the Cosmo I never had an issue getting it waived. In fact at the NY Times Square Marquis 1 of the assistant managers like 18 months ago offered to waive it for me when I called to go over my room requests. He just brought it up and told me I don't want to pay that fee so he'll waive it. Ever since then I try to be proactive and ask for it to be waived. Some hotels are stingier than others but most if you escalate it high enough and I would assume are a high level Marriott member, will waive it.

Like at the Marquis San Diego they didn't want to waive it but I told them they waive it for me at the Times Square Marquis so then they said okay lol. If I stay a week at $34 a night for a worthless destination fee x 7 that's almost $250 I am saving thank heavens.
Thysk likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I guess it is how they define "enhanced," but yes, on further thought, I agree with you. I typically don't stay at properties that impose a resort fee unless the fee combined with the room rate is still a better value. I was unaware of the "replacement" verbage. I will give that a go next time.

I just completed 2, 2 night stays at the Westin Puerto Vallarta which imposes a daily $15 resort fee. I was on a $102 nightly rate with a daily $100 resort credit so I wasn't too concerned about the resort fee. I was even upgraded to a Preium Ocean View, Club level with a Whirlpool on the deck.

James
How did you pull this off/where did you book it? Amex FHR?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Thysk
How did you pull this off/where did you book it? Amex FHR?
I booked it on Marriott's website. The promotion, IIRC, is available for Mexican & Central American properties and is still ongoing. The nightly credit requires a 2-day minimum stay. Bookings May 1st to June 3rd received a daily $100 credit while bookings June 4th through July 30th receive a daily $75 credit. You can find it under the packages tab in rates.

James
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I booked it on Marriott's website. The promotion, IIRC, is available for Mexican & Central American properties and is still ongoing. The nightly credit requires a 2-day minimum stay. Bookings May 1st to June 3rd received a daily $100 credit while bookings June 4th through July 30th receive a daily $75 credit. You can find it under the packages tab in rates.

James
That is awesome! I just checked. I wish I knew about this before. I don't think this deal can be beaten
And Westin PVR is a very nice property (I stayed here 7 months ago). They have one of the nicest lounge for Plats and Tits.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

The term "scam fee" sums up mandatory resort fees and mandatory destination fees very well.

I have nothing against optional resort fees. For example, a lakefront resort might offer an option for unlimited rentals of kayaks, bicycles, and other recreational equipment. Some guests will opt for it. Other won't. That's a true resort fee.

Scam fees are another thing entirely. They are not qualifying charges earning Marriott Bonvoy Points. They make the process of choosing a hotel more difficult because they are not included in search results on Marriott.com. Points stays that should be free are no longer free. The list of "benefits" provided by a scam fee almost never adds up to the amount of the fee (and often includes things that should be standard at a resort or full-service hotel anyway). And if you overlook the scam fee during the reservation process, you're in for a rude surprise when you get your folio after your stay.

When a hotel imposes such a scam fee, it's telling me it has no respect for guests. The hotel is telling me to book elsewhere. A hotel with the scam fee doesn't want my business.

This topic is about getting such fees waived, based on Marriott Bonvoy status. I really don't want to plead with the desk agent and then escalate up the management chain until I find someone who agrees to waive the fee just to shut me up. That seems like an unpleasant check-in and a way to initiate a poor relationship with the staff for the rest of the stay.

I wish Marriott would take a leadership role in the hospitality industry by eliminating scam fees and encouraging the rest of the industry to follow.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I don’t expect Marriott to be a leader in much. But they could at least be a follower of other hotel chains in eliminating them for some level of loyalty.

Fat chance though.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lougord99
so if hotel A is $140 a night plus $35 resort fee and a similar hotel is $185 a night with no resort fee, you are forced to stay at the $185 a night hotel.

This is one of the reasons I am thrilled to be self employed.

i also do not understand the ‘ I will never pay a resort fee’ attitudes. As long as you tell me, in advance, what I am paying then I can make an informed decision and i am fine with it.
No kidding. Stupid policies trumping common sense are all to common, especially in companies with loads of red tape. I got in trouble for using hotwire instead of concur and saving several grand; glad I'm not there anymore.

Regarding resort fees - if they are mandatory, they should be shown in the upfront price. I absolutely hate clicking in to a hotel rate and then seeing it jump at the end. Then I need to sum up the total, go back to the search page and compare. They are deceptive.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Antarius
No kidding. Stupid policies trumping common sense are all to common, especially in companies with loads of red tape. I got in trouble for using hotwire instead of concur and saving several grand; glad I'm not there anymore.

Regarding resort fees - if they are mandatory, they should be shown in the upfront price. I absolutely hate clicking in to a hotel rate and then seeing it jump at the end. Then I need to sum up the total, go back to the search page and compare. They are deceptive.
I am in total agreement with you. Except the resort fees exist and aren't going away. I am not willing to eliminate a hotel because of the resort fee as a 'cut off your nose' move.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lougord99
I am in total agreement with you. Except the resort fees exist and aren't going away. I am not willing to eliminate a hotel because of the resort fee as a 'cut off your nose' move.
Yes and no. I wouldn't purposely pay a lot more out of spite and avoid the hotel, but if the prices are even or close, I'll choose the non-resort fee every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.