Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Results in getting the DESTINATION FEE waived at Marriott branded properties

Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum

I think this should be a thread, to hear from Marriott elite members and their successes or not in getting the hotel to waive the Destination/Resort fee. I think these are total money grab scam fees so I do my best to try and get the hotel to waive them for me. I thought of doing this thread like the one that was started here about 4pm late checkout successes or not.

So I'll start. I am Ambassador and Lifetime Titanium and I have been able to get the Marriott Marquis Times Square to waive the fee for me. Also the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina and the Renaissance Las Vegas. All waived.

Only one that gave me lots of problems was the Cosmopolitan Las Vegas. They kept pushing it to higher and higher managers and it became so tiresome I just gave up.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
What about the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina? I am staying there just prior to Thanksgiving for a conference.

The conference has the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina on their list, but the hotel claimed to be fully booked on one of the conference nights.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Xeno
What about the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina? I am staying there just prior to Thanksgiving for a conference.

The conference has the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina on their list, but the hotel claimed to be fully booked on one of the conference nights.
What do you mean what about it? I'm confused as to what you are writing.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
You offered the Marriott Marquis as a workable example so I was seeking input on whether someone got the fee waived for the Sheraton.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Originally Posted by mikebor
I think this should be a thread, to hear from Marriott elite members and their successes or not in getting the hotel to waive the Destination/Resort fee. I think these are total money grab scam fees so I do my best to try and get the hotel to waive them for me. I thought of doing this thread like the one that was started here about 4pm late checkout successes or not.

So I'll start. I am Ambassador and Lifetime Titanium and I have been able to get the Marriott Marquis Times Square to waive the fee for me. Also the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina and the Renaissance Las Vegas. All waived.

Only one that gave me lots of problems was the Cosmopolitan Las Vegas. They kept pushing it to higher and higher managers and it became so tiresome I just gave up.
What is the argument you make that is so effective for you?
Old Hickory and eyeball1 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Has anyone had success challenging destination fees for bookings made over the phone? I redeemed a travel package and the agent didn't say bupkis about a fee, but when I click into my reso there is a notice about one. There was also no resort fee specifically listed on my confirm, though there is a note way, way, way, way, way down the page (like 7 pages down the email if I print it out) that says
"Using your points will cover your room charge and tax. Additional service charges or resort fees may apply where applicable."
Still seems to me that this should have been disclosed when I booked, not after the fact in the finest print of the confirmation.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
The St. Regis NYC waives the destination fee on stays of five nights or more.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Xeno
You offered the Marriott Marquis as a workable example so I was seeking input on whether someone got the fee waived for the Sheraton.
The Marriott Marquis Times Square and the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina are not the same property. The waiver is done by the property and is not consistent based on brand.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I had the fee waived once at the Sheraton Harbor Island San Diego when I was staying for 1 night on points prior to an early morning plane flight and checked in late. Another time for a 2 night paid stay no.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
I always ask if the resort fee/destination fee includes internet. Nine times out of ten, they say yes and I point out that as an elite, I’m entitled to an alternative amenity and then show them the Marriott T&Cs., section 1.3.v.

Almost always successful and in particular the Westin Grand Central has been absolutely great with no escalation to a manager. The worst property I’ve encountered was the Sheraton in Kona, Hawaii. The resort fee includes nothing, is an obvious money grab, and they charge internet/parking on top of the fee. They give you a 99 cent bag at check in and claim it is worth $15. I spent an hour escalating this to a manager and could not get the fee waived. He did give me an extra 1000 points a day, and offered a useless bag every day when I was really only entitled to one at check in. Very obnoxious property.

RoyalFlush, KRSW, joakgarp and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sfosyd
show them the Marriott T&Cs., section 1.3.v.
I can't find any 1.3.v in the T&C. Can you provide a link? Are you sure you're not quoting the SPG T&C?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I can't find any 1.3.v in the T&C. Can you provide a link? Are you sure you're not quoting the SPG T&C?
It’s 1.3.c.v:

“v.Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property's discretion.”
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by TimesTwo

It’s 1.3.c.v:

“v.Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property's discretion.”
I’ve tried that twice now and was just told “no, we don’t do that”. Nobody in Marriott could care less, so I just left it. I raised two non-compliance issues towards the end of last year which despite 4 months of chasing with my Ambassador I never got a response on, so I’ve now stopped chasing.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott -Plat. Hilton -Diamond
Do you ask for it to be waived at check in, or prior to check in?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Has anyone had success challenging destination fees for bookings made over the phone? I redeemed a travel package and the agent didn't say bupkis about a fee, but when I click into my reso there is a notice about one.
So you apparently knew about the fee before you arrived at the property. Would you have been able to cancel if you wanted?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.