FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Results in getting the DESTINATION FEE waived at Marriott branded properties (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1976304-results-getting-destination-fee-waived-marriott-branded-properties.html)

eyeball1 Jul 3, 2019 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 31265801)

This topic is about getting such fees waived, based on Marriott Bonvoy status. I really don't want to plead with the desk agent and then escalate up the management chain until I find someone who agrees to waive the fee just to shut me up. That seems like an unpleasant check-in and a way to initiate a poor relationship with the staff for the rest of the stay.

This is a key point. If you complain at each stay you may get some waivers just to make you go away. I would guess if you do this there will be more than few notes on your account about being a difficult guest. Maybe not the best way to begin each stay.

Flying for Fun Jul 3, 2019 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31266906)
Regarding resort fees - if they are mandatory, they should be shown in the upfront price. I absolutely hate clicking in to a hotel rate and then seeing it jump at the end. Then I need to sum up the total, go back to the search page and compare. They are deceptive.

The Resort Fee is disclosed before the rates. It shouldn't be a shock when you see it added before booking completion. I don't agree with them either but Marriott is no being deceptive here; it is clearly disclosed.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9582b909f3.jpg
James

craz Jul 3, 2019 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW (Post 31263633)
I generally avoid hotels which charge destination/resort fees. I've not stayed in any this year, BUT, I have stayed in a few which normally charge for parking and have gotten that waived, sometimes proactively by the hotel because they recognize I stay there somewhat often.

So do I, however what I do different is I make a res that I can still CX and call the hotel ask for the MOD explain Im a LTT and then say if the hotel will wavier the scam of the fee be it resort (unless the place is a true resort) or destination fee to please cx my res

Recently ran into a CY in the middle of no where charging a $10 parking fee, MOD was happy to comp it even after telling him it will be a pts stay and a 1 nighter

Bottom line is theres nothing lose by asking and do it while you can still cx it, if youre with the no cx period then call before booking

as for LV I think the only place that will qualify as a resort is the JW, everything else is simply a hotel in a resort area, in HNL only the HHV is a resort

Antarius Jul 3, 2019 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31267403)
The Resort Fee is disclosed before the rates. It shouldn't be a shock when you see it added before booking completion. I don't agree with them either but Marriott is no being deceptive here; it is clearly disclosed.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9582b909f3.jpg
James

Not on the main page. If it was mandatory and disclosed, it should feature in the total price. The fact that it isn't is a function of SEO and trying to trick people.

If I pull up PVR on the Marriott app, i will not see an apples to apples comparison. And that is by design.

Flying for Fun Jul 3, 2019 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31267634)
Not on the main page. If it was mandatory and disclosed, it should feature in the total price. The fact that it isn't is a function of SEO and trying to trick people.

If I pull up PVR on the Marriott app, i will not see an apples to apples comparison. And that is by design.

One click, see the resort fee, move on. My point is, the fee is disclosed at the property level before the rates so I am not sure why you would say you hate to see the rate jump at the end. It has already told you it would!

If it bothers you that much, lobby to have the total price including all taxes & resort fees displayed like the airlines do. Until then, boycott properties with resort fees.

While doing that, do taxes bother you too or do you take those in stride? Are you aware that taxes vary significantly between municipalities in the same metropolitan area?

Looking at 2 properties near LAX for August 1st, one in Culver City, the other in Hawthorne, both at $175 per night, the Culver City property is $200.01 with taxes while the Hawthorne property is $217.49.

Even if a resort fee on a property search summary was included in the rates shown, it is still not an apples to apples comparison. If the Culver City property had a $15 resort fee, the summary would show $190, with taxes $215.01 at the end but would still be cheaper than the Hawthorne property that shows a rate of $175, with taxes $217.49 at the end.

I don't need someone to hold my hand. I thoroughly research all aspects of each property and select appropriately.

James

Kacee Jul 3, 2019 11:32 pm

When a hotel imposes such a scam fee, it's telling me it has no respect for guests. The hotel is telling me to book elsewhere. A hotel with the scam fee doesn't want my business.

Yup, if I have a choice (in some places, like Hawaii, I don't), I will actively book away from properties that charge a resort, destination, or facility fee.

I really don't want to plead with the desk agent and then escalate up the management chain until I find someone who agrees to waive the fee just to shut me up. That seems like an unpleasant check-in and a way to initiate a poor relationship with the staff for the rest of the stay.

+1000
And just kind of pathetic as well.

yoyotogblo Jul 4, 2019 5:14 am

Has any Gold members been able to get the fee waived? I'm going to a resort soon and would love to try but not sure if it's limited to Ambassadors or Elite members only

transparent Dec 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Was able to get the destination fee waived at the JW Marriott LA Live recently, I think mainly due to my elite status (Titanium / Lifetime Plat) and the fact that I was checking in after 11pm and only staying one night, and would not have the opportunity to really even try to utilize any of the "benefits" included as part of that fee. Called in advance to get it waived, while still able to cancel without penalty. That may have helped as well since it seemed like the hotel wasn't very full for my dates.

SPN Lifer Sep 16, 2020 11:10 pm

It would seem that Resort Fee, Destination Fee, and Amenity Fee are euphemistic synonyms for the same anti-consumer behavior.