Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Problem with a booking at a Sheraton

Old Jun 30, 19, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; TG ROP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1

I have a non-refundable reservation with the Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Hotel which I made via marriott.com. Naturally I did it as a logged-on member and all my details including my credit card are correct on the system. So, I was surprised to receive the following email:

“Good Evening
I am Alysia J. the Reservation Agent with the Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Hotel. I am reaching out to you to discuss the status of your upcoming reservation.
The credit card we have on file seems to be invalid and will not authorize. In order for the reservation to remain in good standing, we must collect a guaranteed method of payment to secure the 1st night room and tax. Should we not receive a response back or a valid payment within 24 hours, the reservation status will change to cancelled. Should you need to contact the hotel to resolve this billing matter, feel free to respond to this email directly or reach out to us via the hotel operator at (757) 425-9000.

Please ask to speak to the Front Desk Supervisor or the Front Office Manager who will be happy to assist you. Thank you so much for your time and for choosing The Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Hotel for your upcoming stay on the oceanfront!

Have a great day,”

Is this some sort of scam?
Old Jun 30, 19, 8:59 am

Google separately the phone number to call and see what’s what. Sounds like your CC declined the charges. Did you get a fraud warning?
Old Jun 30, 19, 8:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
The obvious question is whether your credit card is indeed invalid. If it were this is exactly the kind of email you’d receive.
Old Jun 30, 19, 9:02 am

I have had this happen when auto issued a new CC a few months before the expiration date. Even though the CC # doesn't change, of course the expiration date does, and that will cause it to bounce back.
Old Jul 1, 19, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; TG ROP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1
Just to be there is not a problem with my credit card, I have had no warning from the CC company, the card has been used for a number of Marriott stays when I have used the sme method for booking the rooms. The card is valid until 2023. Also I have replied to the original email stating these facts and asking for the details of the card they have tried to use. There has been no reply to my email.
Old Jul 1, 19, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Ah - I have just recieved this from the hotel:

Good Morning Mr Alexander,
I do apologize for this error it was a mistake on our part here at the hotel. We have been able to guarantee your reservation with the Mastercard on file ending 0082,
Again I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, But if you have any more questions or concerns feel to reach out to me or the hotel directly
Thank you and Have a great day
arlflyer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 19, 7:23 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by johnaalex View Post

I do apologize for this error it was a mistake on our part here at the hotel. We have been able to guarantee your reservation with the Mastercard on file ending 0082,
Again I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, But if you have any more questions or concerns feel to reach out to me or the hotel directly
Maybe next time, reply to the email and wait for their reply before starting another thread? The title doesn't even describe the issue (card authorization issue AFTER booking, not a problem WITH/during the booking process)

and if everyone who had an issue like this started a new thread instead of simply contacting the hotel, FT would be more littered than it already is
Old Jul 1, 19, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
Maybe next time, reply to the email and wait for their reply before starting another thread? The title doesn't even describe the issue (card authorization issue AFTER booking, not a problem WITH/during the booking process)

and if everyone who had an issue like this started a new thread instead of simply contacting the hotel, FT would be more littered than it already is
I just dropped a cracker on the floor. Do I 1) pick it up and eat it, 2) pick it up and throw it away, 3) run screaming out of the room?

Responses needed within five seconds, please.
Old Jul 1, 19, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by johnaalex View Post

The moral of the story? Let's (as FTers) not be so quick to condemn and bad mouth our vendors like Marriott, AA, etc. Sometimes honest mistakes do happen, and they can be corrected very easily. And while that doesn't mean that all errors are nothing more than honest mistakes, neither does it mean that all errors are evidence of a pervasive malicious intent or complete lack of caring for the customer/guest/passenger.
Old Jul 1, 19, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
But, but, but... compensation!
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jul 2, 19, 7:25 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
There was on poster-that I truly cannot remember-that deliberately left an invalid card on his account so hotels couldn't charge prepaid rates. Instead, they would get that email-in essence turning that reservation into cancelable. That was a scam for sure, but he mentioned getting that kind of email every time.