Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Newb Question: Elite Night Credits w/Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Is it worth working on status for lifetime elite night credits w/Marriott personal card?
The numbers needed are daunting. We do not have a particular loyalty. That said there aren't too many other areas of interest to focus energy at present ~ so this is better than nothing. Long term slow road mind you, not a drop everything and gun for status. The question is subjective of course. Interested in hearing from folks what they love about their high Marriott status perks.

We have business versions of both Chase and Amex Marriott cards (pre-merger.) We only get credited for ONE of the two cards for elite night credits each year. We are unable to earn elite night credits with spend (even though we were pretty sure this feature was part of the package when we obtained the cards.)

We are considering getting the personal version of the Marriott card, as you can earn elite credits with spend. No need for THREE Marriott certificates each year (or THREE Marriott fees) so we will likely downgrade or close one of the business cards. We are not loyal, and yet love the idea of LIFETIME anything, vs. how everything is always expiring within a year or so.

Last edited by pixelrogue; Jun 27, 2019 at 11:30 am
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by pixelrogue

We are considering getting the personal version of the Marriott card, as you can earn elite credits with spend.
Only the "classic" (pre-Bonvoy) version of the Chase Marriott Visa personal card gives extra elite night credits based on spend. The current version of the card does not. So switching credit cards isn't going to help you.

And it's not just elite nights that qualify for lifetime status --- you'll also need a minimum number of years at a particular status level (10 years of platinum status for lifetime platinum --- in addition to the required 600 elite nights).

Platinum status requires 50 elite nights in a calendar year period. You're getting 15 elite nights towards the 50 from one of the credit cards. In order to achieve your goal, you'll need another 35 elite nights annually for a ten-year period.

If you're relatively far away from the goal and not a road warrior, I'm not sure that it makes sense to establish a plan to get there.
CCIE_Flyer likes this.

Last edited by dgreen12; Jun 27, 2019 at 12:26 pm
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

I was just on a page last week showing the elite credit at 3k spend. Maybe I hit an archived page or something.

Ahhhh, Platinum status for 10 years.....nope, we are not road warriors by any stretch. Certainly appreciate the clarity. Thank you.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Only the "classic" (pre-Bonvoy) version of the Chase Marriott Visa personal card gives extra elite night credits based on spend. The current version of the card does not. So switching credit cards isn't going to help you.

And it's not just elite nights that qualify for lifetime status --- you'll also need a minimum number of years at a particular status level (10 years of platinum status for lifetime platinum --- in addition to the required 600 elite nights).

Platinum status requires 50 elite nights in a calendar year period. You're getting 15 elite nights towards the 50 from one of the credit cards. In order to achieve your goal, you'll need another 35 elite nights annually for a ten-year period.

If you're relatively far away from the goal and not a road warrior, I'm not sure that it makes sense to establish a plan to get there.
Do a reward event for a 100 usd or something and you will be down to only 25 nights each year. A reward event will get you 10 nights per year.
That's easy peasy for most of us.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:11 pm

If you're spending your own money and not your employer's, you need to ask yourself if elite-level status is worth the effort. I chased status for a couple of years and found myself paying more or staying in less desirable properties just to stay within the hotel group. It took some time, but I finally realized the benefits I received weren't worth the effort.

Now, I book the best hotel in the best location at the best price regardless of hotel brand. If I want an upgraded room, I just reserve it when I book. That action eliminates the "will this hotel follow the rules and upgrade me at check-in" issue that seems to happen at too many hotels.

For the record, I'm not a breakfast eater. So, that perk doesn't matter to me. If that's important to you, it might change the calculus.
CCIE_Flyer and markko like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.