Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft: Standard rates get free breakfast, but not Bonvoy redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft: Standard rates get free breakfast, but not Bonvoy redemption?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It seems really simple to me - the hotel isn't being petty - they are sending a message, at least how I read it, that they'd like to discourage award bookings. A bad TA review stating no breakfast accomplishes that as does this thread
You know, people can argue T&C till they're blue in the face, but I wouldn't stay at a place where they treated Reward stays differently than their revenue stays.

You can be right and still be wrong.
ajl1239 and Enigma368 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RichMSN
You know, people can argue T&C till they're blue in the face, but I wouldn't stay at a place where they treated Reward stays differently than their revenue stays.

You can be right and still be wrong.
There are many cases when Bonvoy Points don't provide the same options as cash. For example, Bonvoy Points usually only provide the cheapest room category, while there are often cash rates for higher categories with just a small price difference. At higher-end properties, there are sometimes upgraded options with additional Bonvoy Points or cash on top of Points, but these are usually quite pricey, if they're available at all.

This is an interesting thread. Technically, the hotel is doing nothing wrong. This is not a case of cheating on Elite benefits. This is not a failure to adhere to Aloft brand standards. And it's not a case of promising something and then not delivering. Yet it rubs people the wrong way.

If this Aloft hotel also offered room-only rates at Marriott.com, in addition to breakfast-inclusive rates, we wouldn't have this thread.
ajl1239 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
If one can’t afford breakfast on an award stay at a given property one should book elsewhere more in line with one’s spending patterns.

Yes, because the cost of the breakfast is the issue, not the general point that treating award stays separate to the cheapest cash stays is, in some peoples view, petty. Of course you know this..
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368

Yes, because the cost of the breakfast is the issue, not the general point that treating award stays separate to the cheapest cash stays is, in some peoples view, petty. Of course you know this..
What general point? Where does it say that award redemptions have most-favoured-nation statuswith cash rates? If they they go above and beyond, kudos to them. If you don’t like the hotel’s policies don’t go there. What is petty is complaining about not getting a breakfast you’re not entitled to in the first place. Of course you don’t know this...
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:15 pm

so at what point is it not petty? Property has room only rates only $1 cheaper than current breakfast rates? Breakfast is $15pp (this number is made up because I don’t know the price of breakfast here)
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Horace
Technically, the hotel is doing nothing wrong.
Every reply should begin with this fact.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
What general point? Where does it say that award redemptions have most-favoured-nation statuswith cash rates? If they they go above and beyond, kudos to them. If you don’t like the hotel’s policies don’t go there. What is petty is complaining about not getting a breakfast you’re not entitled to in the first place. Of course you don’t know this...
The point the OP is making is not that he should be entitled to a breakfast because of his status, it is that is unusual and petty for a hotel to offer one thing as standard on the cheapest paid rates and not offer it on award stays. I don't know of any hotel I have stayed at where award stays were treated less favorably than the cheapest, most basic paid rates that the hotel offers. We can certainly agree to disagree on whether this is petty but at least acknowledge the point the OP is actually making - the cost of the breakfast or whether he can afford it is irrelevant to his point and this thread.
ajl1239 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:00 pm

I don't know of any hotel I have stayed at where award stays were treated less favorably than the cheapest, most basic paid rates that the hotel offers.
I just cited four legacy SPG hotels that I know from my own experience also follow that practice, and there are many more in the system I just can’t remember them all—Pine Cliffs Hotel, W Verbier, St Regis Mumbai and The Library Koh Samui.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by ajl1239
I expected a free breakfast, because almost all of the Trip Advisor reviews mention free breakfast. While a generous free breakfast is not "brand standard" for Aloft, it is "San Jose, Costa Rica standard" for three/four-star hotels to provide a generous free breakfast, so I assumed Aloft was just going above and beyond to fit the local market expectations.

In any event, I will give them a chance in the morning to offer me breakfast by asking, "How much does breakfast cost?" If they say, it's free, I'll remind them what I was told yesterday and then see what they say. If they say it's $15, I'll walk across the parking lot to McDonald's or the Juan Valdez cafe in the mall.
so did they end up offering you breakfast?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sure it is. The property is charging only award guests for a meal that is included in the rate for all other guests. In that respect it is exactly the same.
All right. I'll change my position.

It *is* exactly the same and Marriott corporate should come down like a ton of bricks on this Aloft for its discriminatory practices that humiliatingly treat award stays like second class citizens.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Breakfast isn’t free at Alofts, that’s not the brand standard. The hotel chooses to offer only “bed & breakfast” cash rates and that is their choice, this is not the same as an all-inclusive hotel in the middle of the desert suddenly changing it’s policy and refusing the all-inclusive F&B and amenities to redemption guests it includes for all others. As you say, there’s a McDonald’s nearby the Aloft, and I’m sure there’s other local breakfast choices too!
How about Priceline or Hotwire guests? Do they get free breakfast? I bet they don't...

Your complaining about this is why hotels can't easily exceed brand standards. This hotel opts to comp breakfast for all who pay rack rate. They do not advertise breakfast as a benefit as a standard amenity nor is it a brand specific/required benefit. For whatever reason this hotel has decided to go "above and beyond" for its rack rate paying guests, regardless of status. Leave it alone. Did your rate confirmation say breakfast included? Nope, so that means it wasn't included with your rate type. Is it lousy? Yes. Does it feel like they do not value your loyalty as a no status customer? Yes. They get paid less for your points redemption and they are giving you less in return, than a rack rate paying customer. Next time, I suggest redeeming your points at a hotel that does not engage in this sort of practice.

There are times properties go above and beyond for loyalty customers (particularly those with status) too... of course then people complain that the hotels that follow minimum standards don't go "above and beyond" like that other hotel. So then the hotels that exceed standards get slapped by corporate into only following minimum standards.

If you don't get what you are entitled to, by all means, complain. However you booked a brand that does not include breakfast. You booked a rate type that does not include breakfast. Leave it alone. Move on.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:43 pm

I just checked priceline express deals for this hotel, it does indeed shows "free breakfast" for one of the amenities. So it looks like reward night is the ONLY type of booking that does not get free breakfast. For the same night, it's $71 for priceline express deals vs. $108 on marriott.com. It just seems strange that they would go above and beyond for even opaque bookings.
dgreen12 and ajl1239 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I can understand the OP’s frustration, but given all the problems Marriott is having in providing the services clearly promised to its customers, I don’t think condemning a property for being a bit tight on awards bookings made by non-elites would make it into the top 1,000 things for the company to look at.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by gbdbld
I just checked priceline express deals for this hotel, it does indeed shows "free breakfast" for one of the amenities. So it looks like reward night is the ONLY type of booking that does not get free breakfast. For the same night, it's $71 for priceline express deals vs. $108 on marriott.com. It just seems strange that they would go above and beyond for even opaque bookings.
my corporate rate (global partner rate) doesn’t include breakfast at this property, and it appears some other poster’s corporate rate doesn’t either. The rate is about 10% less than the random date I looked at.

just think of award rooms as corporate rates at this hotel
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:45 pm

Just curious; if this or another hotel was offering free parking for all guests except for those on award stays or corporate rates, would the people who are siding with the hotel here still side with the hotel? If so, fair enough, at least you are being consistent in your view on this.

I personally would see that as a bit weird but as with the breakfast, perfectly legal for the hotel to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.