Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft: Standard rates get free breakfast, but not Bonvoy redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft: Standard rates get free breakfast, but not Bonvoy redemption?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by ajl1239
That's your opinion. Do you think it makes sense for a hotel to deny a handful of guests a breakfast buffet just to make a few extra bucks? I don't.
hotels, as a business, have freedom to charge what they want for those who are willing to pay for it. You didn’t pay for anything at this hotel.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If you search for rooms, you will find standard rates that say "Member Rate with Breakfast". Award rates say "Aloft, Guest room, 1 King", Note that there are a few specific words missing.

There's nothing in the Room Details or Rate Details that would lead one to expect breakfast is included with the rate. It's not a standard at Aloft properties. Were you somehow expecting breakfast to be included based on...., I don't know what, ... or are you suddenly feeling you didn't get what you expected only after you arrived?

They're free to enforce policies to the letter, but I'm also free to leave a two-star Trip Advisor review noting how silly and nit picky it is to deny a handful of guests breakfast.
"enforce policies to the letter" = give you what you reserved?

Yes, they are free to give you what you reserved and you are free to complain about not getting what you didn't reserve/pay for. I'm sure you'll include that detail in your negative review, right?

That's your opinion.
Mine too. And seemingly everyone so far.

Does this make sense?
So you really didn't want answers, you just wanted agreement and sympathy?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't see this property offering any paid rates without breakfast.

This seems to me very similar to what Al Maha was doing, and they got busted for it.
GUWonder, KRSW and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee

This seems to me very similar to what Al Maha was doing, and they got busted for it.
except for Al Maha switched from providing it to award stays to not providing for award stays... and the property is an “all-inclusive” type of property.

This property however, doesn’t appear so.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Collierkr

hotels, as a business, have freedom to charge what they want for those who are willing to pay for it. You didn’t pay for anything at this hotel.
Yes, he did. He paid with points. Marriott paid the hotel.

I simply can't believe everyone here saying it's perfectly fine for everyone paying cash for a room to get a free buffet breakfast, but if you pay with points get nothing. That's ridiculous.
GUWonder, mecabq, KRSW and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Unlike Fairfield Inn, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, Towneplace Suites, and Element, daily breakfast is NOT a brand standard at Aloft.

Daily breakfast for member plus one is a Welcome Gift option for guests at the Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite tier and higher (instead of Welcome Gift points) at Aloft properties — but OP is below Platinum — so that’s not an option for OP.

Any brand that offers breakfast as a paid option can also offer breakfast-inclusive rates. That’s the case at quite a few Courtyard by Marriott properties. Usually there would also also be traditional cash rates and points rates without breakfast.

It’s odd that Aloft San Jose Hotel (Costa Rica) does not offer any room-only cash rates, only room-only points rates — at least for the random dates I checked — but the property is not doing anything that violates the Marriott Bonvoy T&Cs.
Tanic and Collierkr like this.

Last edited by Horace; Jun 23, 2019 at 8:21 pm
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by RichMSN

I simply can't believe everyone here saying it's perfectly fine for everyone paying cash for a room to get a free buffet breakfast, but if you pay with points get nothing. That's ridiculous.
you have backed up my statement, albeit I will clarify that the OP paid Marriott in points for a room, not for breakfast.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

I expected a free breakfast, because almost all of the Trip Advisor reviews mention free breakfast. While a generous free breakfast is not "brand standard" for Aloft, it is "San Jose, Costa Rica standard" for three/four-star hotels to provide a generous free breakfast, so I assumed Aloft was just going above and beyond to fit the local market expectations.

In any event, I will give them a chance in the morning to offer me breakfast by asking, "How much does breakfast cost?" If they say, it's free, I'll remind them what I was told yesterday and then see what they say. If they say it's $15, I'll walk across the parking lot to McDonald's or the Juan Valdez cafe in the mall.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by RichMSN

by your logic, OP paid points to Marriott, Marriott paid a room only rate to the hotel. Everyone did not pay for a room with free breakfast because Marriott paid a room only rate. There are two rates at the hotel. Room only rate and room with breakfast. Just so happens only Marriott can get the room only rate .

At this point, all hotels that want to include breakfast for paying guests should just have a room only rate and have a breakfast rate $1 more than that. Then more people will complain .
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

There are some very pedantic people in this thread. The bottom line is that it's a "bad look" for this hotel to deny breakfast, breakfast that is effectively a universal amenity, to Bonvoy folks claiming a redemption. They're effectively devaluing the program and I'll be letting Marriott know my opinion of how this hotel treats members.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:06 pm

I am confused. The OP may have redeemed points, but has no status; thus no loyalty to the Marriott brand; thus no benefits. I had almost 100000 MR points gathered over a few years, before I had Silver. I just didn't stay enough nights on an annual basis to earn status and demonstrate my loyalty.

There are many many packages, to include breakfast, at many of the Marriott brands. But it is not 'free'; it is included in the room rate.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
If the hotel has no cash rates that don't include breakfast, then, ipso facto, breakfast is included in a paid stay. The exclusion of only one form of payment (points), should, at the least be reported to Marriott, with a requested resolution.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
There are some very pedantic people in this thread. .
Welcome to FlyerTalk...
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee

Not the same at all. A stay at Al Maha includes activities and meals. It's in the middle of the desert. They were forcing redemption guests to pay mandatory additional fees for the activities and meals that were all-inclusive on the most entry-level paid stay. That's what they were busted for.

Breakfast is not mandatory at an Aloft.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Originally Posted by ohmark
If the hotel has no cash rates that don't include breakfast, then, ipso facto, breakfast is included in a paid stay. The exclusion of only one form of payment (points), should, at the least be reported to Marriott, with a requested resolution.
Exactly. If there are no rates without breakfast, then breakfast should be offered for the redemptions as well, otherwise it feels like discrimination.

I have been a few times in similar situations, got it free with a bit of reasoning. Once I was in a Designhotel property, where they told me it's room only, but at the same time as breakfast offered for all. I asked then what's the price for the breakfast, they said they don't sell it for outside guests. I pointed out that I am staying guest, just points only and they understood that they can't charge me for something that they have no price-list for

I hope that "innovative" airlines do not get inspired with making business and first class award redemptions also "seat-only", where in particular long-haul business class paid customers would get lounge access, food, drinks and entertainment and travellers on awards would need to pay extra for those services, because essentially they have just bought a seat from point A to B. I see that Emirates is already aiming for business class without the airport benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.