Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft: Standard rates get free breakfast, but not Bonvoy redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

I just checked into the Aloft, San Jose CR, which offers a very nice breakfast buffet for free as part of standard rates. I was informed, however, that redemption guests -- I have no status, but redeemed points for the night -- have to pay for breakfast. Does this make sense?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by ajl1239
I just checked into the Aloft, San Jose CR, which offers a very nice breakfast buffet for free as part of standard rates. I was informed, however, that redemption guests -- I have no status, but redeemed points for the night -- have to pay for breakfast. Does this make sense?
yes. It makes sense since redemption rewards by definition is room only. aloft brand standards do not include breakfast. This property just so happen to only quote rooms with breakfast rates. Actually there are lots of properties that do this. If you were at a property that has breakfast as part of the brand standards, I would contact Marriott customer care.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myperks
yes. It makes sense since redemption rewards by definition is room only. aloft brand standards do not include breakfast. This property just so happen to only quote rooms with breakfast rates. Actually there are lots of properties that do this. If you were at a property that has breakfast as part of the brand standards, I would contact Marriott customer care.
I totally understand what you're saying, but it feels really "cheap" to me that the only people expected to pay for breakfast are loyal Marriott guests. They can do this, and I guess it makes sense based on your explanation, but I won't return to the hotel. I'd rather stay at a hotel where I feel like I'm treated fairly as a frequent Marriott guest.
GUWonder and downinit like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:06 pm

I totally understand what you're saying, but it feels really "cheap" to me that the only people expected to pay for breakfast are loyal Marriott guests. They can do this, and I guess it makes sense based on your explanation, but I won't return to the hotel. I'd rather stay at a hotel where I feel like I'm treated fairly as a frequent Marriott guest.
i get your point of view. But would you feel better if the hotel had a room without breakfast rate that was $1 cheaper than the rates with breakfast?

I dont know rate rate ranges for hotels in the area, but maybe others may ask why are all rates are including breakfast when I don’t want breakfast and subsidizing others to have them.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
'Loyal Marriott guests' can select breakfast as their welcome gift at Aloft brands.
KRSW, nexusCFX and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Do I get a welcome gift? I did a redemption, but don’t have status
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:02 pm

It makes sense since redemption rewards by definition is room only.
Is this actually defined in bonvoy T&C?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:58 pm

Do I get a welcome gift? I did a redemption, but don’t have status
No status, no status welcome gift

Originally Posted by rrgg
Yes
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
One can’t really claim to be that loyal a Marriott customer if one doesn’t have any status at all. That sounds like more of a loyal American Express user to me.
lougord99 and KRSW like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Pretty much every word in the T&C is defined within the T&C. It even includes a line that says essentially, Marriott can change anything they want whenever they want it's even in like the first few paragraphs, not buried way at the bottom:
"All Loyalty Program benefits, amenities, offers, awards and services are subject to availability and may be changed by the Company at any time without notice."

People REALLY don't read the T&C. I get that they're long, and boring...but you should really know exactly what it is you've agreed to before calling all bent out of shape about something, when it was in the rules all along. Just because you don't like a given rule, doesn't make you exempt, or special. I really wish Marriott would be more rigid about enforcing all of it's policies. Rules either apply or they don't and if they don't you shouldn't have them in place.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

My point is just that the hotel de facto has free breakfast for everyone -- not from the little Aloft market, but a buffet from a restaurant in the hotel -- except for Bonvoy guests. This feels really weird to those redeeming points. They're free to enforce policies to the letter, but I'm also free to leave a two-star Trip Advisor review noting how silly and nit picky it is to deny a handful of guests breakfast.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by ajl1239; Jun 23, 2019 at 5:43 pm Reason: added detail
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:45 pm

My point is just that the hotel de facto has free breakfast for everyone -- not from the little Aloft market, but a buffet from a restaurant in the hotel -- except for Bonvoy guests. This feels really weird to those redeeming points. They're free to enforce policies to the letter, but I'm also free to leave a two-star Trip Advisor review noting how silly and nit picky it is to deny a handful of guests breakfast.
that is why TA reviews (both good and bad) needs some filtering. A two star review for breakfast not given for free seems more silly and nit picky than anything.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

that is why TA reviews (both good and bad) needs some filtering. A two star review for breakfast not given for free seems more silly and nit picky than anything.
That's your opinion. Do you think it makes sense for a hotel to deny a handful of guests a breakfast buffet just to make a few extra bucks? I don't.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:20 pm

That's your opinion. Do you think it makes sense for a hotel to deny a handful of guests a breakfast buffet just to make a few extra bucks? I don't.
again, would you feel differently if there were standard rates without breakfast but only $1 less than breakfast rates? Based on your responses so far, probably not.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
If they sell exactly 0 rates excluding breakfast, aren't they then required to include breakfast in redemptions too? I recall people getting all bent out of shape when Al Maha started refusing full board to redemptions despite not selling any room-only rates, and Marriott (?) Eventually made them return to offering full board + activities to award stays. As an LC, there was no brand standard requiring them to offer these to everyone.
btonkid12345 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.