Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott STARS and Marriott Luminous (General Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott STARS and Marriott Luminous (General Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Will the rate get elite benefits?
Correct - you'll still earn points and get Elite benefits on all STARS and Luminous bookings.
Temedar, jaejaez and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Generally, I've noticed these rates, especially via Chase Luxury Hotel and Amex tend to be about $100+ more expensive. As a Titanium I've always booked the lowest rate on Marriott.com and just used my elite benefit.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
Correct - you'll still earn points and get Elite benefits on all STARS and Luminous bookings.

Which you typically don’t on FHR bookings - I haven’t tried in a while but never got them before - haven't stayed in probably 2 years though
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

Which you typically don’t on FHR bookings - I haven’t tried in a while but never got them before - haven't stayed in probably 2 years though
I've never had these problems with my FHR bookings, although now you need to avoid the prepaid rates offered by AmEx.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by seat38a
Generally, I've noticed these rates, especially via Chase Luxury Hotel and Amex tend to be about $100+ more expensive. As a Titanium I've always booked the lowest rate on Marriott.com and just used my elite benefit.
I've typically found these rates to be equal to the BAR -- i.e. the lowest refundable rate available to the public (including non-Bonvoy members). This, of course, is often more expensive than the lowest nonrefundable rate, but sometimes it's close enough that it makes sense to go for this rate, especially if you get a $100 F&B credit
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pewpew
I've typically found these rates to be equal to the BAR -- i.e. the lowest refundable rate available to the public (including non-Bonvoy members)
Agreed. Especially internationally, this is often the lowest available refundable rate.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Sheraton is a bit like the Lord & Taylor of Hotels. Despite ongoing and constant attempts at reinvention since the 2000s, it continues to be one relaunch or remodel away at newfound relevance.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pewpew
I've typically found these rates to be equal to the BAR -- i.e. the lowest refundable rate available to the public (including non-Bonvoy members). This, of course, is often more expensive than the lowest nonrefundable rate, but sometimes it's close enough that it makes sense to go for this rate, especially if you get a $100 F&B credit
However, AAA etc. rates are generally refundable and lower than BAR.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
All these require a little comparison ...

For example, I just used a pay at the hotel FHR rate and received Bonvoy credit/points but probably not the 5X on Amex points.
The hotel was $259 a night, $250 for members, $220 on AAA, and $215 on my rate.
Using FHR, it was $259 a night, with a $100 F&B credit, guaranteed 4 PM checkout, and a reduced resort fee.

For two nights, I was better off with the FHR rate as it was $6 a night cheaper than my corporate rate, saved on the resort fee, guaranteed the 4 PM checkout at a resort, and included breakfast (so I could still get the 1000 point welcome). When I was at the same hotel last month, the FHR rate was $75 more than my rate so it didn't make sense.

But ... between Stars and FHR, sounds like FHR will normally be the better choice if available at that hotel.

Also, sounds like there will be rate code we can use and don't need to go through a travel agent.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Many international properties do not offer AAA rate, or if they do, it's higher than BAR.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
Many international properties do not offer AAA rate, or if they do, it's higher than BAR.
As always, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. This announcement just means there are even more possibilities to consider.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: Titanium at Marriott & Platinum at American (both Lifetime) + various others
Lifetime Titanium sticking with current strategy

As a Lifetime Titanium, that's the strategy (just book cheapest on-line rate; and rely on elite benefits) that I use. Plus these days I get to use the Senior Rate, which usually means a modest extra discount, but more importantly is a flexible rate so I can cancel if needed.

Also, if the $100 credit is per stay and not per night, doesn't it work against longer stays?

Pity if it reduces complementary upgrades
t1c likes this.

Last edited by MisterE; Jun 24, 2019 at 12:52 pm Reason: claification
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you combine Citi Prestige 4th night free with STARS benefit?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:49 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TerryK
Can you combine Citi Prestige 4th night free with STARS benefit?
Without verifying I am 99% sure not- especially with the Prestige changes come September when we will lose the ability to book special rates and earn Elite benefits. Prestige was great while it lasted. I used it 3 times on our recent trip to Spain and the UK and and recouped over $2000 But I probably will cancel the card in September

What intrigues me about STARS is that we are still eligible for all of our Elite benefits. I won't know if it is really interesting though until I have time to really compare options.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:18 am
Suspended

Yeah, I think of Sheraton as slightly better than Marriott "full service."

Marriott is better than Sheraton and up to date with style...everyone from Starwood understands how much problem this brand had...not surprised it is not included in the list...I think Sheraton as standard business hotel and Marriott as flagship full service...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.