FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott STARS and Marriott Luminous (General Discussion Thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1974839-marriott-stars-marriott-luminous-general-discussion-thread.html)

bcosinteno Jun 20, 2019 7:49 am

Marriott STARS and Marriott Luminous (General Discussion Thread)

As of July 1st, Marriott will be introducing two new travel advisor programs, Marriott STARS and Marriott Luminous. These two programs will replace Starwood Luxury Privileges and Ritz-Carlton STARS.

Marriott STARS

This will be a relaunch of the existing STARS program and will offer benefits at over 250 of Marriott's Luxury Hotels. The program will be valid at the following brands:

BVLGARI
EDITION
Luxury Collection
Ritz-Carlton
Ritz-Carlton Reserve
St. Regis

And you'll get the following benefits when booking an eligible rate through a Marriott STARS Travel Advisor:
  • Complimentary full or continental breakfast daily for up to two people per room
  • Complimentary WI-FI
  • Hotel credit valued at 100USD
  • In-person welcome
  • Personalized welcome amenity and note
Marriott Luminous

This will be a new program valid at mid-range Marriott Brands. The program will be valid at the following brands:

Autograph Collection
Le Meridien
Marriott
Renaissance
Tribute Portfolio Hotels
W Hotels
Westin

And you'll get the following benefits when booking an eligible rate through a Marriott Luminous Travel Advisor:
  • Complimentary daily breakfast for two people per room
  • Complimentary WIFI
  • Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability
  • Complimentary room upgrade, subject to availability at check-in
  • Local welcome amenity
  • Hotel credit valued at 100USD, but only at select hotels
Not all hotels in each brand will participate in the program. But we will have a list when the program launches on July 1st. Definitely could be beneficial, especially with the new Luminous program including mid-range brands.

I'll post more information as it becomes available.

MePlatPremier Jun 20, 2019 8:00 am

wow... sheraton is not included in the new program. that’s how much disregard Marriott has for the brand...

MSPeconomist Jun 20, 2019 8:07 am

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier (Post 31222089)
wow... sheraton is not included in the new program. that’s how much disregard Marriott has for the brand...

Yeah, I think of Sheraton as slightly better than Marriott "full service."

Circusplaza Jun 20, 2019 8:21 am

With all my respects and depend on a case basis... Overall Marriott properties are a bit above Sheraton ones, but a bit below Westin ones.
It might be my experience in the Sheratons I have stayed in.

Kacee Jun 20, 2019 8:23 am

So similar to Hyatt Prive, except with lesser benefits.

Originally Posted by bcosinteno (Post 31222063)
  • In-person welcome
  • Personalized welcome amenity and note

These are presumably in lieu of an upgrade. No thanks.

EuropeanPete Jun 20, 2019 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31222164)
So similar to Hyatt Prive, except with lesser benefits.

These are presumably in lieu of an upgrade. No thanks.

At least you get free breakfast at Ritz-Carlton though. If you combine an elite status upgrade potential with STARS breakfast you have a normal set of elite benefits.

MSPeconomist Jun 20, 2019 8:33 am

Can SNAs be applied to such bookings?

Ord Liza Jun 20, 2019 8:33 am

So, as of July 1st, complimentary status-based upgrades will be competing with these paid upgrades?

hhoope01 Jun 20, 2019 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Circusplaza (Post 31222156)
With all my respects and depend on a case basis... Overall Marriott properties are a bit above Sheraton ones, but a bit below Westin ones.
It might be my experience in the Sheratons I have stayed in.

Interesting how different person's experiences are. Based on my experience, I would agree that the average FS Marriott would be slightly better than the average Sheraton. And my experience is that a Westin is really just a FS Marriott without a lounge. (I do know that some Westins may have a lounge, but most every Westin I have stayed at didn't.)

So what is the difference between the Marriott STARS and say the Amex Plat Luxury hotel reservation benefits or the Marriott Brilliant Amex Luxury Hotel benefits? And do we have to go through a Travel Agent for the Marriott Luminous as well?

MSPeconomist Jun 20, 2019 8:45 am

FHR gives a guaranteed 4 pm checkout. The special benefit varies by hotel, but can be a $100 F&B or spa credit.

bcosinteno Jun 20, 2019 8:53 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 31222232)
Interesting how different person's experiences are. Based on my experience, I would agree that the average FS Marriott would be slightly better than the average Sheraton. And my experience is that a Westin is really just a FS Marriott without a lounge. (I do know that some Westins may have a lounge, but most every Westin I have stayed at didn't.)

So what is the difference between the Marriott STARS and say the Amex Plat Luxury hotel reservation benefits or the Marriott Brilliant Amex Luxury Hotel benefits? And do we have to go through a Travel Agent for the Marriott Luminous as well?

Correct, Marriott STARS and Marriott Luminous bookings will have to be done through a Travel Agent. AMEX FHR does get you guaranteed 4:00 PM check-out. However there are a lot of Marriott properties that don't participate in FHR - and I'm assuming you'll see more of them participating in STARS or Luminous.

flyingislove Jun 20, 2019 8:59 am

Is FHR considered a "travel agent" to get these benefits?

bcosinteno Jun 20, 2019 9:36 am

Originally Posted by flyingislove (Post 31222296)
Is FHR considered a "travel agent" to get these benefits?

No - the FHR program is completely separate than the STARS & Luminous program.

MePlatPremier Jun 20, 2019 9:54 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31222198)
Can SNAs be applied to such bookings?

I suppose these would be qualifying rates and regular elite benefits would apply on top of those rate-specific.

Kacee Jun 20, 2019 10:09 am

Originally Posted by bcosinteno (Post 31222274)
Correct, Marriott STARS and Marriott Luminous bookings will have to be done through a Travel Agent.

Will the rate get elite benefits?