Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott STARS and Marriott Luminous (General Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott STARS and Marriott Luminous (General Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ABG
Items like that are perfect to communicate to whatever TA / advisor you work with to book the rates. Wine is a default usually, but things like fresh squeezed juice, smoothies etc can be requested.
Yup. For Luminous I suppose my expectations were lower than STARS so I didn't really bother.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can someone briefly summarize the difference between STARS and Luminous? Do any hotels participate in both? Do the same travel agents handle both? I'm confused.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can someone briefly summarize the difference between STARS and Luminous? Do any hotels participate in both? Do the same travel agents handle both? I'm confused.
STARs and Luminous are two separate programs.

STARS is for luxury brands such as BVLGARI, EDITION, Luxury Collection, Ritz-Carlton, Ritz-Carlton Reserve, and St. Regis properties and always comes with a $100 credit. Other standard benefits include daily breakfast for two, room upgrade if available at check in and welcome amenity.

Luminous is for participating hotels in the following brands: Autograph Collection, Marriott, Renaissance, Tribute, W, Westin, and is property dependent whether it includes a property credit. Standard benefits are daily breakfast for two, a room upgrade if available at check in and a welcome amenity.

Any travel advisor who has access to one, has access to the other.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
We finally have a list of all participating Marriott Luminous properties including which ones come with a $100 hotel credit.

https://www.liveluxetravelco.com/marriott-luminous
TravisMT81, svo242 and deathwatch like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 1:20 am

Do I still get my Titanium benefits like welcome points/lounge access if book through STARS/Luminous?
Nevsky likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 1:24 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FQ415
Do I still get my Titanium benefits like welcome points/lounge access if book through STARS/Luminous?
Yes.
Nevsky and FQ415 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Yes.
Thanks. Probably the best choice to book through them then if there is no special promotion.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 4:35 am
kkg

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1MM/1k
Pay 2 stay 3 night only get 2 elite nights?

This is from Milelion, https://milelion.com/2021/02/05/deal...-elite-nights/.

"What happens is the travel advisor will get the rate manually adjusted later such that the third night prices at S$0... you will only earn two elite nights here (and hence four, after the promotion)."

It also noted that this is a recent change that took place on 5 February 2021.

Can anyone comment if this is the case?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:33 am

Is there a rule of thumb about what the daily rate would be for these programs? The Hyatt Prive program theoretically uses the "Standard" rate, so one can easily assess whether Prive makes sense for a particular stay. Marriott room descriptions/categories are not stated similarly, so wondered if there might be a trick to make an assessment before bothering a travel agent.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by xooz
Is there a rule of thumb about what the daily rate would be for these programs? The Hyatt Prive program theoretically uses the "Standard" rate, so one can easily assess whether Prive makes sense for a particular stay. Marriott room descriptions/categories are not stated similarly, so wondered if there might be a trick to make an assessment before bothering a travel agent.
If you make a free account, you can look these rates up on Classic Travel. That’s what I usually do before deciding whether to contact my agent. Having said that, the rate is often just the best flexible rate.

However, STARS may have free night and extra saving promotions that you will be able to check out first on Classic Travel. For example, I just booked Barcelona EDITION for four nights using a “STARS and Save Offer” which knocked off 20% from the flexible rate and included breakfast plus daily 50 euro credit for food and beverages. Booking directly with Marriott would only yield the 20% off and the 50 euros credit, with no free breakfast (easy to spend 50-70 euros on breakfast for two people at Barcelona EDITION). I found the rate on CT before contacting my agent.
xooz likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
I appreciate this is subjective, but has anyone ever found a STARS rate has given them an upgrade in combination with their status that their status alone wouldn’t have been expected to yield? In my limited experience, properties often don’t really understand what STARS is and the main use for me are the promotional offers for free nights etc and getting breakfast at EDITION and RCs.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:48 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
I appreciate this is subjective, but has anyone ever found a STARS rate has given them an upgrade in combination with their status that their status alone wouldn’t have been expected to yield? In my limited experience, properties often don’t really understand what STARS is and the main use for me are the promotional offers for free nights etc and getting breakfast at EDITION and RCs.
Someone claimed STARS bookings have higher upgrade priority than elite upgrades. That person was a STARS travel agent though so take it with a grain of salt.

About half of my stays are preferred agent bookings these days. TBH I think the difference is negligible. I would only do it if the price is the same and would NEVER pay extra money for it.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 9:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Are all Luxury Collection hotels part of STARS or is it up to the property?
Old Jul 23, 2021, 1:55 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kkg
This is from Milelion, https://milelion.com/2021/02/05/deal...-elite-nights/.

"What happens is the travel advisor will get the rate manually adjusted later such that the third night prices at S$0... you will only earn two elite nights here (and hence four, after the promotion)."

It also noted that this is a recent change that took place on 5 February 2021.

Can anyone comment if this is the case?
It's nt the case for me.
I stayed at the above mentioned westin twice and both time it's 3 nights.
I believe it shld always be butt in bed nights that count.
​​​​

​​
Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:37 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Are all Luxury Collection hotels part of STARS or is it up to the property?
they are suppose to be yes.... but I've never gone thru the list to double check. If you want to know about a specific hotel just ask

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.