Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Best Marriott Bonvoy property in Colorado for a ski trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LTT, EK Gold

Hi all!

My first question on the forum for FlyerTalk veterans ;-)

I am planning for this coming winter a ski trip to the US (never been to the Rockies before), redeeming Bonvoy points.

I was wondering what, in your opinion, is the best Marriott property of the pack and why?
I am sure they are all “special” in their own way, but which one(s) would you really recommend?

The few ones I am looking at are: St Regis Aspen, RC Bachelor Gulch, the new W Aspen, Westin Riverfront.
I also imagine that the different towns have quite a different vibe to them.

Thanks everybody!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch is really good. I have not stayed at the others. Have a great trip.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pete.82
..........The few ones I am looking at are: St Regis Aspen, RC Bachelor Gulch, the new W Aspen, Westin Riverfront.......
Don't forget Talisa in Vail. I would spend at least a few days in Vail if you have never been to the Rockies. There is also a Marriott in Vail but Talisa is nicer.

St Regis Aspen is a nice property near lifts. It is fine if you want to visit Aspen and don't expect much in terms of elite recognition. RC Bachelor Gulch is a really nice resort but location is isolated. Westin Riverfront is a condo-hotel in Avon, not really at ski base. You cannot go wrong with any of them. Please read various review threads and see what fits you best.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You may want to look at the Marriott/Bonvoy forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tt-bonvoy-766/

In particular, these threads might be helpful:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...eek-hotel.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-thread-4.html
Marriott for a Family Mountain Vacation
St Regis Aspen, Colorado [Master Thread]
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-thread-8.html
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:30 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, pete.82
I am moving your query to the Marriott Forum. I'm sure that you will receive many helpful answers.
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
! There are lots of great options! However, as a matter of principal, many of us would strongly recommend against the St Regis Aspen.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Are you looking for great skiing or a great property? I'm sure everything in Aspen is nice and fancy and all, but I've never found the skiing at Aspen up to par with many other locations.

We typically stay/ski at either Steamboat, Beaver Creek, or Vail, but as we spend minimal time in our rooms, we go cheap.

If you're looking to spend a lot of points on a fancy property in addition, I'd guess the RC Bachelor Gulch would hit both criteria. The Westin Riverfront in Avon is also very nice at a slightly lower price point.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I can only comment on the venue but not the property. I was in Breckinridge for 3 days this weekend. I did notice a Marriott property. We stayed in a Condo. Breckenridge is exquisite.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everybody!
Indeed I read about the crazy cancellation / late arrival charges at StR Aspen..

@CPRich - so for great skiing you would recommend Vail or Beaver Creek over Aspen I guess?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Westin Riverfront is pretty much my favorite hotel worldwide. RC Bachelor Gulch is nicer, but I’ve had more stays at the Westin. There is a gondola you can catch at the Westin that takes you part way up the mountain, and they have a shuttle you can take up to Beaver Village as well. Vail Village for me is kind of bleh, but mostly because it feels like a fake Swiss ski village, so I prefer the Westin and Beaver Creek personally.

Sitting in one of the infinity edge hot tubs at the Westin looking out on the Eagle River after a day of skiing with a drink is pretty nice.

Westin Steamboat is also nice as well. While not Bonvoy, there’s the Hilton GV Valdoro lodge I’ve been meaning to check out in Breckinridge.

if you want to consider Lake Tahoe (more beautiful IMHO but snow can be finicky), the Marriott Timber Lodge at Heavenly Village and RC Northstar are excellent choices as well. Northstar is my preferred ski destination, but isn’t quite as large a mountain as Vail or Beaver Creek. But, and this is an excellent but, if you stay at the Timber Lodge on South Shore Lake Tahoe you can pick up a multi-day Epic pass that gets you access to Heavenly, Northstar, and Kirkwood (which is excellent and typically devoid of the crowds that can descend on the Lake Tahoe ski slopes).

theres also the Westin at Mammoth Village which is an ok hotel on a gigantic mountain, but it’s isolated from major airports (10 hours from SFO, 6+ from LAX).

Lastly (sorry for the edits), but there’s the Equinox near Stowe in Vermont. Decent skiing, but not CO or CA equivalent, but a really, really cool historical hotel.

i think there is also a Marriott (or Marriott vacation club) in Park City, as well as the StR Deer Valley but I’ve got no personal experience at those hotels. One I have been looking at is the Hotel Park City, which looks pretty awesome (giant rooms, excellent hotel location) that’s part of Marriotts Autograph Collection.

no matter what, you should be in for an awesome trip.

Last edited by doggiefizzle; Jun 19, 2019 at 10:45 pm
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I've never been - but my best advice is stay away from St. Regis Aspen
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I don't suppose that there is anywhere in North America, or even the world, where a one-week Cat 1-4 Travel Package certificate actually can get you a week near a ski resort...
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be very *very* *VERY* careful about cancellation and late arrival penalties at some ot the Colorado properties. There are horror stories from StR Aspen etc. and many seem to have the same management.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I don't suppose that there is anywhere in North America, or even the world, where a one-week Cat 1-4 Travel Package certificate actually can get you a week near a ski resort...
Definitely - I am in fact planning to go with normal points (instead of a certificate)
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pete.82
Definitely - I am in fact planning to go with normal points (instead of a certificate)
Such as? The hotels you mentioned previously are WAY above Category 4...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.