FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Help me solve this redemption mystery (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1974515-help-me-solve-redemption-mystery.html)

chuck1 Jun 18, 2019 4:37 am

Help me solve this redemption mystery

Several months ago, before the points increase, I redeemed two rooms for 5 nights each at the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch.
They only had king beds available for awards and were priced as follows.
60,000 x 4 = 240,000 points per room (1 night free).

The points were deducted from my account.

I then called the hotel because I wanted connecting rooms and one of the rooms with two beds. They changed this by adding a cash only upgrade fee to one of the rooms as two beds are pricier at that hotel.

This was properly reflected on marriott.com under my bookings.

Fast forward a few months.

I notice the room with two beds went from 240,000 points to 340,000 points on the confirmation and indeed a 100,000 points was missing from my account.

I called whatever number they give Titanium members and she told me the system pulled the points back when I made the booking but just now issued a certificate at 85,000 x 4 rather than 60,000 x 4. That represents the 100,000 difference.

She credited back 100,000 points and all is fine.

The stay is not for another 6 months.

Is this a plausible explanation? The system deducted the points early morning on a Sunday so I do think it was automated.

Thanks.

troyb Jun 18, 2019 4:57 am

Interesting. I did a points advance reservation at a St Regis property for next year, back before the devaluation. The booking was for five nights, 240k points, I had the reservation but no points were withdrawn....at least until the past few days. Checking my account this morning, it looks like there were 340k points withdrawn in relation to that reservation.

Just when I thought things were starting to get better with Bonvoy.

TerryK Jun 18, 2019 5:14 am

Originally Posted by chuck1 (Post 31214069)
............... just now issued a certificate at 85,000 x 4 rather than 60,000 x 4. That represents the 100,000 difference.

Is this a plausible explanation?........

Yes. That's sop. I am a little surprised that system redeemed points for certificates six months out.

TerryK Jun 18, 2019 5:16 am

Originally Posted by troyb (Post 31214101)
Interesting. I did a points advance reservation at a St Regis property for next year, back before the devaluation. The booking was for five nights, 240k points, I had the reservation but no points were withdrawn....at least until the past few days. Checking my account this morning, it looks like there were 340k points withdrawn in relation to that reservation....

That's sop. Call Bonvoy and they can credit 100K back. Unfortunately, you may need to call a few times. Bonvoy is full of uninformed agents making up excuses instead of fixing issues.:(

MePlatPremier Jun 18, 2019 5:21 am

Originally Posted by chuck1 (Post 31214069)
Several months ago, before the points increase, I redeemed two rooms for 5 nights each at the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch.
They only had king beds available for awards and were priced as follows.
60,000 x 4 = 240,000 points per room (1 night free).

The points were deducted from my account.

I then called the hotel because I wanted connecting rooms and one of the rooms with two beds. They changed this by adding a cash only upgrade fee to one of the rooms as two beds are pricier at that hotel.

This was properly reflected on marriott.com under my bookings.

Fast forward a few months.

I notice the room with two beds went from 240,000 points to 340,000 points on the confirmation and indeed a 100,000 points was missing from my account.

I called whatever number they give Titanium members and she told me the system pulled the points back when I made the booking but just now issued a certificate at 85,000 x 4 rather than 60,000 x 4. That represents the 100,000 difference.

Is this a plausible explanation? The system deducted the points early morning on a Sunday so I do think it was automated.

Thanks.

When you modified the room type on the reservation, the system cancelled the old reservation and made a new one, under the current point rates. In my experience even the reservation number changes on such situations.

chuck1 Jun 18, 2019 5:33 am

So just so I understand...

1. I redeemed 2 king rooms at 60,000 x 4 = 240,000 each.
2. The system immediately pulled the points at time of booking.
3. The system did NOT pull the certificates at that time.
4. I called the hotel and made arrangements to change one of the rooms to two doubles and agreed to a cash upgrade as these were not available as points. This was done the day the points booking for the king rooms were made.
5. Months later the system pulled certificates and this caused an additional 100,000 points (85,000 x 4 rather than 60,000 x 4).
6. Why did this happen on one of the rooms (the 2 doubles) but not both rooms?

I got the 100,000 back but am still confused.

TerryK Jun 18, 2019 5:57 am

Originally Posted by chuck1 (Post 31214164)
......1. I redeemed 2 king rooms at 60,000 x 4 = 240,000 each.
2. The system immediately pulled the points at time of booking.
3. The system did NOT pull the certificates at that time........

You misunderstood. Bonvoy created ecert when pulling points from your account. The ecerts were sent to property as payment. Two ecerts should have been created when system pulled 240Kx2 points.

Originally Posted by chuck1 (Post 31214164)
.......6. Why did this happen on one of the rooms (the 2 doubles) but not both rooms?.....

When you modified reservation for second room, ecert was cancelled and point returned. System then redeemed points for ecert, after category change, at the new point level. The other ecert, for first room, was not affected. All pretty normal under current Bonvoy system.