Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Damascus, Syria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Damascus, Syria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Arrow Sheraton Damascus, Syria [Master Thread]

I stayed one night each at these properties in the fascinating city of Damascus. I would highly recommend a trip here, but that's a separate discussion.

These properties are well-located in the center of town, each a long, but possible, walk from the old city, and a short walk from the main commercial area (which seems to be the area around the Cham Palace hotel). The Sheraton is probably 1km farther from the old city than LeM. Both have plenty of taxis available and on-site car services.

In both properties, as SPG Platinum I got an upgrade to a mini-suite. The rooms were decent, but old. The Sheraton room was much larger, with a large sitting area, featuring a sitting areas with a large coffee table, sofas, an entertainment center with CD, VCR, and DVD, and a large flat-screen TV. There was another large flat-screen in the bedroom. The TVs definitely out-classed the room, although (for an English speaker), there wasn't much to watch, anyway. The room was a bit dark, however, with limited windows and dark carpet and furnishings. The room had wireless internet access, but you have to go to the front desk to obtain (for a fee) an hour- or day-pass.

The Le Meridien room was, not surprisingly, a bit nicer but smaller and much brighter. All the rooms there have balconies; this room had two -- one off of the sleeping area, and one off of the living area, which were part of one room separated by an entertainment center with a cabinet on each side opening to a small TV. The room had no high-speed internet access; I believe that none of the rooms do.

Neither room had a single clock in it. Both properties have club lounges, but I was not granted access to either (I didn't ask). Both hotels have relatively ornate, clean lobbies, with LeM more elegant. Both have business centers with cheap internet access.

Front-desk service at both lacks professionalism, not surprisingly for the region. Neither one has a conceirge, apparently (although the Sheraton driver that I engaged to help me find an out-of-the-way restaurant in the old city did an impressive job, and we found it), and most of the front-desk staff that I encountered were not particularly helpful, partially due to very limited English skills and partially due to poor business processes. Although the personal service -- bellmen, waiters, etc. -- was friendly and helpful at both places.

Le Meridien divides the front desk into several sections -- "information,"
"reception," and "cashier." Usually, the service that I wanted was not staffed. For example, when I wanted to check out, the guy at the "information" station pointed to his left and said to see the "reception" station. But there was no one there. There was one guy at the front desk, perhaps the manager, who was repeatedly pretty helpful once I found him.

I found the service at the Sheraton a bit better, although, annoyingly, they didn't have change to break a large bill. They exhibited a frustrating indifference, basically shrugging their shoulders. I said, well, what about the restaurant, and they said something like, sure, go try. I only had a SYP 500 note (about $10), and needed to pay the taxi SYP 50. The bellman was nice enough to front me the money, until I finally found a helpful person at the bar who explained, sorry, it's Friday and we don't have much cash in the hotel, and then managed to find some for me. When I first got there, I handed the reception lady my passport, and she came back with, "welcome, Mr. XXXX, I see you are here for three nights." I said, no, my reservation is for one night, and my name is YYYY. She handed me the reservation card, which was obviously for someone else, whose name bears no resemblance to mine. Funny. We eventually sorted out this challenge, and she was very friendly. She even gave me a bunch of maps and brochures for Syria. They also got my early-morning wake-up call and driver to the airport mostly correct (they called at 5:00 instead of 5:30), which surprised me.

Both have large, well-equipped, although again aging, pool facilities. Le Meridien's is more upscale, but smaller. There was a shwarma guy out by the pool at the Sheraton (I think a special on Friday and Sunday), which was kind of fun. The food wasn't great, though (nor is it anything special in Syria in general), and I don't believe that they serve liquor at the pool.

The Sheraton has more amenities, including a large, attractive outdoor courtyard with trees, colored lights, tables, and sofas for snacks and sheesha. It's a nice environment. The hotel also has Arabic and Italian restaurants, both with outdoor seating, and an English-themed pub.

I ate the breakfast at Le Meridien, which was the typical Middle Eastern buffet -- fruit, lots of cheeses and breads, mezzeh, and a handful of Western and Arabic hot dishes, including pork bacon -- with a few Japanese-type items thrown in. Overall, I would rate it pretty good. Service was good, too, and it was only about $12. The hotel also has a few other restaurants, an attractive bar/lounge off the lobby, and a seemingly-happening night club (although I did not visit this).

Overall the two properties are similar. As you would expect, Le Meridien is a bit more upscale. Both were very crowded. There's not too much to distinguish them, though -- if you're going, you might choose on price. (In my case, the two were exactly the same price -- $150 + 10% per night.) They are both adequate, but don't expect to be pampered.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Also, there's a second Sheraton resort about 10km outside of town. I didn't experience that one.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Thanks for posting this mecabq. I'm staying at the Le Meridien soon there in Damascus and this is the only real trip report!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:43 am

To follow up - only the Sheraton Damascus is a viable choice now that the Le Meridien has closed. The other Sheraton (Ma'ret) is a bit further outside the city and more of a resort type place.

The hotel is fine - there's a nice chai man in the lobby who will bring you tea, although the prices at the hotel bar/cafe are exorbitant. There's an executive lounge that serves free coffee all day and alcohol from happy hour (7-9PM I recall).

The desk offered a suite upgrade if I wanted to wait, but I declined as I needed the room immediately. It was on the club floor.

Be careful though of the loud windows - I was kept up for hours by the loud windows, whistling in the winds blowing over the mountains. I would recommend asking for a room that is quieter - surely they know.

Last edited by BobbySteel; Apr 26, 2010 at 5:55 am
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:44 am

Moderators - I suggest changing the title to take out Le Meridien and making this a master thread for this hotel, as there are no other pieces of info on it here.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:35 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Moderators - I suggest changing the title to take out Le Meridien and making this a master thread for this hotel, as there are no other pieces of info on it here.
Done. It is a timely thread for me, as I am considering a visit to Damascus.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:48 pm

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.593 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120)

Highly recommended city. Pm me for details.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS-MM 75K, Marriott Plat Lifetime, SPG Plat Lifetime, HH Gold
Trip Report: Damascus Sheraton (Syria)

SHERATON DAMASCUS HOTEL

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

SHERATON DAMASCUS HOTEL

Beirut Rd Damascus, Syria SY 4795

Trip Report: Damascus Sheraton (Syria) (0 Photo)

SHERATON DAMASCUS HOTEL

Stay dates: 12/28/10 to 01/01/11

This was an award stay. Mrs Magiclamp is a Plat, they recognized the Plat and told us that our room would be on the 5th floor.

Room

A 2 room, 1.5 Bathroom suite with a huge terrace. Very modern and updated room with 2 huge flat screen TVs

Lounge

The lounge on the 4th floor is open the entire day and has wireless and computers for surfing the web. There is some munching items and good tea/coffee/juice selection available.

The hotel is about 2-3 KM from the old city, about SYP50 taxi ride, step outside the hotel to take a yellow taxi, dont take the hotel taxi.
The lobby is updated and very nice, there are computers in the lobby for surfing. The staff is very professional and friendly

Dining

The restaurant: Our breakfast was included and we had to go to the restaurant for it. A huge variety of western and arabic items for breakfast. We did 2 meals in the restaurant - excellent food. On the expensive side, not surprising since it is a Sheraton. The food is good and the restaurant staff is the among the best/friendliest I've ever seen.

Overall

Bottom line: Excellent hotel, excellent staff, location not very convinient but not a huge problem

All in all an excellent hotel.
Thanks

Trip Report: Damascus Sheraton (Syria)

Would you like to write a review on the SHERATON DAMASCUS HOTEL?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Damascus Sheraton [Master Thread]
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:55 pm

may be better in: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

EDIT: oops...too slow in posting
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
An award stay during a civil war? Wow.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Has anyone visited of late?

The hotel is no longer listed on the Starwood website, but it retains Sheraton branding on Trip Advisor and on its Facebook, the latter of which is updated quite regularly.

http://www.facebook.com/Sheraton-Dam...4701505595602/

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Aug 20, 2017 at 8:38 am
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I was wondering, if there is any news about this hotel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.