Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott merged my accounts into my wife's without my permission or knowledge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Hello so I'm dealing with a dilemma with Marriott right now. So 2 months ago I transfered some points from my account to my wife's account. Not a big deal. We are using it for a upcoming hawaii trip. I checked the other day my account, to see how it looks and everything. Couldn't log in. thought it was password issue, nope. So the login said to call Marriott. I did. When I called them they said they couldn't find my account. They look closer and noticed that my account has been transferred to my wife. First thing I ask is. How? Second of all why and how to get my account back to normal. I didn't have much points in there but I had a Spg free night. It got transferred to my wife's account. I said what if she divorces me tomorrow. Then I don't have a account and lose my remaining points.

currently they are working on the issue but they said it will take a few days. Like all of there other problems. Their Twitter team also had no idea what happened and why, and they only responded to me 12 hours later after my rant and post. I figured they could help me out more.

Is this normal for Marriott to mess up? Also what should I do? Should I demand or ask for anything for this screw up? Am I entitled to anything? Not trying to be greedy but if I am, I want to know what I can ask for.

Thanks for everyone's help and input.
Star_Guy likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by brabb12
Hello so I'm dealing with a dilemma with Marriott right now. So 2 months ago I transfered some points from my account to my wife's account. Not a big deal. We are using it for a upcoming hawaii trip. I checked the other day my account, to see how it looks and everything. Couldn't log in. thought it was password issue, nope. So the login said to call Marriott. I did. When I called them they said they couldn't find my account. They look closer and noticed that my account has been transferred to my wife. First thing I ask is. How? Second of all why and how to get my account back to normal. I didn't have much points in there but I had a Spg free night. It got transferred to my wife's account. I said what if she divorces me tomorrow. Then I don't have a account and lose my remaining points.

currently they are working on the issue but they said it will take a few days. Like all of there other problems. Their Twitter team also had no idea what happened and why, and they only responded to me 12 hours later after my rant and post. I figured they could help me out more.

Is this normal for Marriott to mess up? Also what should I do? Should I demand or ask for anything for this screw up? Am I entitled to anything? Not trying to be greedy but if I am, I want to know what I can ask for.

Take some deep breathes and think about the gorgeous beaches in Hawaii while Marriott fixes this kerfuffle.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Also what should I do? Should I demand or ask for anything for this screw up? Am I entitled to anything? Not trying to be greedy but if I am, I want to know what I can ask for.

Doesn't seem like you've had any practical impact on you and like they are going to fix it. Personally, I wouldn't expect anything beyond getting it fixed.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Should I demand or ask for anything for this screw up?
If it's fixed in a relatively timely manner and more or less painlessly for you, why would it even occur to you to ask for something extra? Actually, that's a serious question, not rhetorical. I'm really curious about why so many FTers hold that every imperfection is grounds for compensation. Compensation for what? Someone made a mistake. I make 'em. I bet you do, too, from time to time.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I didn't know this account merge could even be done, did your wife's lifetime nights increase accordingly? I suspect this is going to be very difficult for customer service to fix and probably needs a DBA to go and recover your account from a previous snapshot. In my experience, this may take weeks to months to resolve and you may need to contact someone with more leverage to get it fixed.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
If it's fixed in a relatively timely manner and more or less painlessly for you, why would it even occur to you to ask for something extra? Actually, that's a serious question, not rhetorical. I'm really curious about why so many FTers hold that every imperfection is grounds for compensation. Compensation for what? Someone made a mistake. I make 'em. I bet you do, too, from time to time.
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I didn't know this account merge could even be done, did your wife's lifetime nights increase accordingly? I suspect this is going to be very difficult for customer service to fix and probably needs a DBA to go and recover your account from a previous snapshot. In my experience, this may take weeks to months to resolve and you may need to contact someone with more leverage to get it fixed.
Would be curious how this happened. A common email address? A common cell number?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I'm sure that if you called in and asked them to merge your account with your spouse's, you would be sent home with your tail between your legs.

Marriott IT. Expect the unexpected!
bosman, supatight80, JBord and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Would be curious how this happened. A common email address? A common cell number?
More likely an outsourced CS center operator error.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

They said on the phone it's gonna take a few days. But this isn't a minor mistake that's a big mistake in my opinion. If they wanna merge it and give my elite nights to my wife that's cool. But the other thing is, what about my SPG credit card spending? (will never call it bonvoy.) where have my points been going? They didn't know. Lol. Not into my wife's account. I haven't seen.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

More likely an outsourced CS center operator error.
nope. Totally different emails. Totally different first names also.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I can't add anything new, but I found it strange that you would use the 'what if she divorces me' argument with Marriott, having just transferred points into her account for an upcoming trip.
pewpew likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:21 am

You have been Bonvoyed!
mapu, Naldo1984, diburning and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: Peasant at large
Unless you had any material loss or were inconvenienced in some way, I don't see how to justify asking for compensation. That said, in entitled all about me age, I'm sure someone will come up with something.

What I think you should insist on is a formal response on what happened and what steps they have taken (or will take by x date) to prevent a recurrence. This looks like a security hole big enough to drive a truck through. It won't take long for the bad guys to figure out how it works and exploit it with far more severe consequences to all parties.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:55 am
GK8

Programs: Most of 'em
I just have this visual in my mind of your wife as a cartoon gleefully rubbing her hands together and saying, I got his SPG free night, now it's time to get rid of him! Hope you get your account back!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
I am constantly amused to read some comments suggesting that BonVoy IT will be able to fix this. Must be SPG people who had a great run before Marriott took over

I started with Sheraton ITT in the early 90's and have been Gold or Silver mostly ever since. BonVoy has me at 19 years and 180 nights. Have asked them to fix this but they cannot.

Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a dam!
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.