Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Getting night credit and elite benefits while on tour [group rate] ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM

My husband and I are planning to join a tour group to Egypt. Good number of nights are at the Le Meridien. I was wondering if it is possible to get stay credit or elite benefits (such as upgrades) in this situation. This is our first time travel with a tour group.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
no stay credit and points. You will likely (IMO) get some Elite benis ... show your credentials at check-in.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by cfischer
no stay credit and points. You will likely (IMO) get some Elite benis ... show your credentials at check-in.
+1

Master billed/group bookings don't normally get credit although occasionally the hotel makes a mistake.
I believe there are a couple of posts where master billed/group bookings don't get lounge access -- which may be consistent with the T&C which seems to say that -- but I've never had that issue.

And, I was on a master billed stay at a US legacy Marriott property a few days ago. I gave them my MR info at check-in. The FD stepped away for a couple of minutes and came back from the MOD. They told me they had upgraded me to one of their best suites and asked me to give them advance notice in the future if I was staying on a master billed stay so they could pre-upgrade me. But ... they had my name on the reservation as part of the group -- not sure that's the case on a tour as you describe.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've gotten nice upgrades even when I've been master-billed, but it was a case where the event was so large that we had basically taken over the hotel. A smaller tour group might be getting a block of rooms that they aren't upgrading out of.

For the best chance, phone Marriott and get your Bonvoy number added ahead of time. As others have stated, no points...but maybe someone will notice your status and upgrade you. (I have no idea how many suites a LM in Egypt has to begin with.)
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've gotten nice upgrades even when I've been master-billed, but it was a case where the event was so large that we had basically taken over the hotel. A smaller tour group might be getting a block of rooms that they aren't upgrading out of.

For the best chance, phone Marriott and get your Bonvoy number added ahead of time. As others have stated, no points...but maybe someone will notice your status and upgrade you. (I have no idea how many suites a LM in Egypt has to begin with.)
I'm not sure Marriott will have the info on a master billed account. OP may need to contact the hotel. And, its my sense that in some cases the tours book XX rooms and that the tour company collects XX keys to distribute so the hotel may not have your name in this situation.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm not sure Marriott will have the info on a master billed account. OP may need to contact the hotel. And, its my sense that in some cases the tours book XX rooms and that the tour company collects XX keys to distribute so the hotel may not have your name in this situation.
That's what I've noticed when I've watched tour groups checking in hotels.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
If your stay is going to go to a master, get your Marriott res. # and while not logged in, put in that number and edit the stay, adding your Bonvoy # and your email. It will then appear in your account. Still not a guarantee you'll get the points/credit, but I'm better than 50% using this method.

On the very rare occasion, this will trigger your CC you put down for incidentals being charged the full amount. I can usually get this corrected, but honestly hope they don't because them I'm definitely getting full credit.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
That's what I've noticed when I've watched tour groups checking in hotels.
I think there is a distinction sometimes between how it is handled with tour groups vs. master billing although I haven't been on a tour group in many years -- that's just what I see from my observation, organizers in the lobby handing out keys.

Master billing will usually have your name as you go to the desk to check in. But ... I'm skeptical that the meeting folks I deal with have readily available reservation numbers and wouldn't bug them about it. Marriott, Hilton, Hyatts all have my name, I give them my number, they usually give me the appropriate benefits of status Sometimes I get points/nights credit; sometimes I don't. Nights credit seems to happen sometimes when I give them my number and make incidental purchases during the stay. I always get points for the incidentals but usually not for the room rate.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It took me a while to realise this post was literally about being on a tour as opposed to figuratively being “on tour”.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It took me a while to realise this post was literally about being on a tour as opposed to figuratively being “on tour”.
Yeah, I was like.. Aerosmith cares about Marriott points now?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Some months I feel that way ... it's Tuesday so this must be Poughkeepsie That's what I originally thought when I saw the thread too!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
So this is a big change from SPG where you received stay credit and elite benefits. I just stayed at a former SPG hotel for a work offsite. Was told will receive stay credit but no points and no elite benefits. Well just got off with Marriott. No stay credits either. I think this is a big mistake. I am actually the one that voted for the hotel. Always try to keep it SPG. Won't be doing that anymore. Now will vote on the best possible hotel - maybe Marriott maybe not. Stay credit costs Marriott nothing. You actually have to go out of your way to even add your number to the rest so I bet most don't even do that. Just annoying the most motivated people. SPG had it right. I have always hated that hotel chains offer the bookers of the events points. Should never be that way.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
So this is a big change from SPG where you received stay credit and elite benefits.
SPG never gave credit for master billed reservations -- payment had to be in your name. E.g.:

Frustrated: No Stay credit as meeting planner because room is on master bill
Benefits with a stay that is ona master bill?
TerryK, C17PSGR and margarita girl like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
So this is a big change from SPG where you received stay credit and elite benefits......
There has been no change. SPG operated the same way. You might have gotten credit before due to system error or human error. However, you should not have received credit if you go by the rules.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:13 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Try asking the hotel if you can pay extra to upgrade to have a qualifying rate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.