Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Staying on Explore Rate but got "walked"

Old Jun 7, 19, 1:44 am
Original Poster

At the outset I just want to note that I am staying on the Explore Rate and I realize I probably am not entitled to anything based on this fact alone. However I am just curious about what others may think of this situation. I want to emphasize that I'm not upset in any way at the hotel. But in more than 15 years of using the Associate/Explore Rate, this is the first time I've ever been "walked". I don't know if it makes any difference, but I'm also Silver Elite and booked using my member number.

So I booked a stay at the Westin Excelsior Florence for a 4 night stay in June (in a few weeks). The reservation was made back in February. In mid-May, the hotel emailed me saying that the hotel was oversold due to a large group staying there and so they asked me to cancel my reservation. I subsequently booked another hotel in Florence.

However, I never actually cancelled my reservation and technically, I still have a confirmed reservation. I figure it wouldn't be acting in good faith, but could I still arrive at the hotel and invoke the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee? I wouldn't even want any monetary compensation but the points would be nice. Or would the fact that they notified me in advance invalidate the URG? Could I ask the hotel directly for some nominal number of points for the inconvenience (without showing up)? Or should I just let this whole thing go since I was using the Explore Rate?

I don't know how many people here are familiar with the Explore Rate and its terms, but the authorization form does say "on a space available basis". I know some will interpret this to mean, if they're oversold, then that's that, there's no space. I would argue that there was space available at the time of booking, so I would be entitled to a stay at that rate.

Anyways, I am curious about other opinions on this.

Last edited by ac130; Jun 7, 19 at 2:22 am Reason: added silver elite status
Old Jun 7, 19, 2:45 am
tyn

If you are on an Explore rate you should be familiar with the policy. It says that you can be walked and that the hotel will have to find for you alternative accommodation at the same rate.
This was not in the Starwood policy, though at times it was done on a courtesy between colleagues basis, but it is spelled out in the Marriott policy.
Old Jun 7, 19, 3:06 am

If itís not a Qualifying Rate (and Explore isnít) then itís not eligible for any elite benefits, including the ultimate room guarantee.
Old Jun 7, 19, 5:34 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LTPP; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier View Post
If itís not a Qualifying Rate (and Explore isnít) then itís not eligible for any elite benefits, including the ultimate room guarantee.
Probably a true statement for elite benefits, but Marriott hotels also have a general "walk" set of rules they have to follow (i.e. first night free at a close-by comparable hotel, transportation to that new hotel, etc.). And those rules I would think still apply as they are not tied to the Bonvoy program, but to all persons staying. And I suspect that is why the hotel called and asked the OP to cancel the reservation themselves. By doing so, the hotel doesn't have to deal with walking the OP and gets out of finding a comparable hotel and paying for that first night.
Old Jun 7, 19, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
Probably a true statement for elite benefits, but Marriott hotels also have a general "walk" set of rules they have to follow (i.e. first night free at a close-by comparable hotel, transportation to that new hotel, etc.). And those rules I would think still apply as they are not tied to the Bonvoy program, but to all persons staying. And I suspect that is why the hotel called and asked the OP to cancel the reservation themselves. By doing so, the hotel doesn't have to deal with walking the OP and gets out of finding a comparable hotel and paying for that first night.
that wasnít OPís question, and appears not be an issue here as OP made other arrangements. Had s/he wanted to be walked somewhere else s/he would have told the hotel so. Btw, the Explore rate provides for a walk to a hotel at a comparable rate, not to a ďcomparable hotelĒ at Marriottís lower discounted rate. OP wants to know if s/he is entitled to points as compensation, while Ďgenerouslyí offering to waive any pecuniary compensation. S/he isnít, either because the rate terms explicitly exclude it or because s/he isnít eligible to receive any elite benefits for that stay.
Old Jun 7, 19, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ac130 View Post
I figure it wouldn't be acting in good faith...
I think you answered your own question.
Old Jun 7, 19, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your opinions everyone.

I did ask them to find me a comparable hotel but it took them almost a week to respond. When they did respond, the hotel staff said I could keep my reservation but that they could not guarantee me a room. They did indicate that they would find alternate arrangements for me if they could not give me a room.

Because of the uncertainty, and before they got back to me, I searched for and booked another boutique hotel just to have something in hand. I would actually prefer a large chain because service and cleanliness are generally more predictable.

In any case, I contacted the hotel this morning to see if they could offer any points for the inconvenience. They said no, but also indicated that I still had a confirmed reservation and they are working on availability.
Old Jun 7, 19, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL 1.6MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ac130 View Post
Thanks for your opinions everyone.

I did ask them to find me a comparable hotel but it took them almost a week to respond. When they did respond, the hotel staff said I could keep my reservation but that they could not guarantee me a room. They did indicate that they would find alternate arrangements for me if they could not give me a room.

Because of the uncertainty, and before they got back to me, I searched for and booked another boutique hotel just to have something in hand. I would actually prefer a large chain because service and cleanliness are generally more predictable.

In any case, I contacted the hotel this morning to see if they could offer any points for the inconvenience. They said no, but also indicated that I still had a confirmed reservation and they are working on availability.
Out of curiosity since this is an explore rate through an employee of Marriott. Wouldnít you be getting your sponsor in trouble for not following the T&Cs of a room being available at the time of the stay?