Fee to empty mini bar fridge

Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JBord
It's ridiculous to charge for this. But there's a fairly easy solution, although it will be a bit of a hassle at check out.

Just remove enough items so that your water bottles fit. Set them on a table, desk, wherever. On your last day, replace the items, take a picture of the full fridge and stop by the front desk to dispute the charge.
Yeah, hotels tend not to like that because you can use the same approach to take what you want, then just before you go, replace the items you consumed with identical ones from the local 7-11 at a fraction of the cost.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by cre95

I imagine they would charge a delivery fee for the bucket (that you request every few hours)...
Or after the second delivery "forget" the order !
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:58 pm

Oh, by the way, the St. Regis I spoke of? The booze (except for beer) was not actually in the mini bar. It was in full sized bottles and was sitting on the desk in the room. They charge a fee to remove the booze from the room.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
The usd50 or so fee relates to minibar fees , not consumption fees. RESTOCK fees are often a fixed per day fee, often usd15++ at my 5star hotels. REALLY annoying/unfair if just want 1x usd10 cola/perrier etc.
Thus emptying minibar costs hotel + you two restocking fees...just about bearable/ok if on a 5nighter, too much if a 1night stay
Plus most hotels t+c's state only f+b purchased on property can be consumed in property, so will not want to forgo drinks income on your stay.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:56 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Seems odd - I cant ever remember seeing a restock fee for a minibar, and the only properties Ive seen which only allow their own alcohol are a handful of party Ws in the US.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Many hotels list 'air conditioning' as a feature in the room. How many people would be OK if the hotel said "Yes, the room HAS air conditioning- but there is a fee of $50 to actually USE it"
For better or worse, this is indeed how things work in a lot of hotels in Africa
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by scubaccr
The usd50 or so fee relates to minibar fees , not consumption fees. RESTOCK fees are often a fixed per day fee, often usd15++ at my 5star hotels. REALLY annoying/unfair if just want 1x usd10 cola/perrier etc.
Thus emptying minibar costs hotel + you two restocking fees...just about bearable/ok if on a 5nighter, too much if a 1night stay
Plus most hotels t+c's state only f+b purchased on property can be consumed in property, so will not want to forgo drinks income on your stay.
You know, the idea of being dinged (hypothetically) for having gone out to McDonalds' and bringing back some McNuggets is absurd to the point of farce.
peroorim, KRSW, CO-PLAT and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by catocony
Ask for a bucket of ice to be brought up every few hours to keep your bottles cold, and I'll bet they will relent on the $50.00 charge.

I've had similar issues in Amsterdam, where they refuse to clear out the fridge and the pressure sensors go off with the slightest movement. I filled the recycling bin in the room with ice and it was better that way.
On the Bonvoy tv loop in Marriott properties, the girl keeps asking for more ice ... I didn't see anything about a charge for it
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yeah, hotels tend not to like that because you can use the same approach to take what you want, then just before you go, replace the items you consumed with identical ones from the local 7-11 at a fraction of the cost.
If this from your actual experience? I ask because there are two things wrong with your post:

1. I've never had a problem doing this or having charges wiped from my bill
2. If I were going to go to the 7-11 to buy identical booze for half the price, then why in the world would I go to all the trouble of taking from the minibar and replacing? Because it's easier to go to the 7-11 at the end of my stay rather than at the beginning?

Anyway, whether hotels like it or not, it's a very simple solution that works just fine, and is generally drama-free.
peroorim and Dalewood like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:19 am

A lot of hotels I stay in at now have given up on the mini bar and just have an empty fridge.
There must only be a very small percentage of people who actually pay the exhorbitant prices.
estnet, cre95, HMPS and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I have eaten a $6 Snickers from the mini-bar at midnight, and replaced it with a $0.90 one from 7-11 the next morning....
justforfun, camsean, KRSW and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bill them $50 for restocking then...

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I have eaten a $6 Snickers from the mini-bar at midnight, and replaced it with a $0.90 one from 7-11 the next morning....
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by expert7700
you just do not want it in your room because you are a recovering alcoholic.
This works 100% of the time. In many countries/states its required of them to remove it as well if you ask for similar considerations or children having access.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by austin_modern
This works 100% of the time. In many countries/states its required of them to remove it as well if you ask for similar considerations or children having access.
Although I suppose technically they could still try to charge a fee for this. Or just bring a padlock to the room . Especially when they see you sipping a cocktail at the bar that evening!

Seriously, the easiest way to do this, without needing to lie or waste a lot of time is just remove stuff, put it back before you leave and stop once at the desk to remove any charges. You can't be charged for removing stuff (if you put it back), but not consuming it.
peroorim likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by jrich7970
Oh, by the way, the St. Regis I spoke of? The booze (except for beer) was not actually in the mini bar. It was in full sized bottles and was sitting on the desk in the room. They charge a fee to remove the booze from the room.
The W Atlanta downtown had a few different bottles of booze placed in the room. And a minibar. The two comped water bottles there also were clearly labeled as so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.