Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Another Renaissance Hotel in Nothern New Jersey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC

It appears that the Sheraton Woodbridge (exit 10) will soon become a Renaissance. I have all the confidence in the world that the new GM (from the Meadowlands Ren) will make this a great place to stay. This new location has tremendous potential!! ^
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:32 pm

Staying there next week. Will post review as I couldnt find a review.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: United, Marriott Platinum
Staying there now. Modern decor. Nice indoor pool and gym. Was upgraded to a suite on club level. Modern, minimalistic rooms. No free internet, but parking is free. Did not eat in the restaurant. Lounge was well stocked, lots of seating at a long bar along the windows. Power available at each seat.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 4:10 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
One night stay.

According to staff about 8 months in as a Ren. "Bones" of the property are identical to the Sheraton in MahWah - which means there are lots of "Junior" Suites. On a res made 5 minutes before I walked in the door, was upgraded. If you like contemporary decor you will love this place. What I call a 3/4 remodel - all new decor & furnishings, but rooms/halls are same configuration, etc.

Free parking. Check-in friendly, Plat status recognized. 2 room junior suite. Minimal is a good word for furnishings - but comfortable and well kept. Closet in bath. Spotless bath - odd tub. Think jacuzzi size and depth with no jets - looks like "old" tub was just built up????? Care upon entry is definitely needed! Nice desk area. Had windows on 2 walls - but they were tiny. Noise prevention? Energy efficient?

Lounge is similar to FS Marriott @ Newark - large windows, "counter" seating with plugs, 1 large hi-rise table, remainder 2 or 4 tops. On the better end of recent CL offerings - 2hot, plus veggies, cheese/crackers, fruit, along w/ coffee and dessert. Pleasant host. Another guest was complaining about the view...please.

Did not use any other facilities.

Lots of dining and shopping (chain) in the area - including a Pollo Tropicale!
Easy drive to EWR (at 9AM). IMO preferable to the EWR Ren; priced about the same - would stay here again.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
I consider staying there in March with my wife using a 2-4-1 coupon. Is there any information if the lounge mentioned in here is open at weekends, even if only to get a few soft drinks?

Greetings - Dirk
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
The lounge is not open on weekends.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
My company puts me here regularly, and has for many years. Seen the property through many changes, Sheraton, then Woodbridge Independent Hotel and now Ren.

Very happy with the trendy (almost a bit over the top) decor!

The staff are great here. Feels like they all get on with each other, and they recognise me because of regular stays. They seem to have a new enthusiasm now the Hotel has been rebranded and always make an effort.

Now... if they would just open the lounge on weekends!!!!!

(They have got a fast Starbucks service at the bar in the mornings for a grab and go coffee and pastry though!!)
Old Aug 19, 2010, 5:47 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I stayed at this property last night and overall give it a thumbs up.

I called for a pickup from the Metropark train station when I arrived and was told the shuttle would arrive within 10 minutes. After 20 minutes later, I called back and was told he was on his way. Thirty minutes later, the driver finally arrived, however, while I know that it did not take 30 minutes to get from the hotel to the station, traffic was very heavy in/out/around the station so I overlooked this mishap.

As I went to check-in a gentleman was working the desk. As I walked towards him, he picked up a box of cigarettes and went on a smoke break. Another associate had to come over and check me in, though she stopped a few seconds beforehand to friendly chat with the associate going on break .

I was given a Junior Suite on the third floor, but I am not sure what's Junior about it other than the fact it seems to be smaller than the other suites on the floor. I would consider it a full sized suite with a sitting area when you first enter the room with a television, sofa, and chair. Then there is a small hallway with the large bathroom off to the right (with the aforementioned odd tub) and then a fully separate bedroom which was also pretty sizable. My only complaint about the room was that you can only control the a/c in the bedroom, so the living room and bathroom tend to get a bit stuffy.

I got there past the official hor d'oeuvres time, but the lounge still had out fried ravioli and miniature chicken cordon bleu with miniature modified renditions of strawberry shortcake out for dessert. The lounge attendant was a bit surly though as she just sat in the back room reading a paper. I had dropped a piece of cake (which I planned to clean up) and she just said "You dropped some cake, there are napkins over there, you can put it on this tray after you clean it up" as she continued to read .

Checkout staff was much friendlier than check-in or lounge staff. A request I had made during my stay was never fulfilled, so I mentioned it to the front desk manager when I checked out, who went to follow up on it. Apparently the request was never made note of, and the person whom I had spoken to did not "recall" ever having been given the request, so I asked to speak to the General Manager, not really to complain, but just to let him know what had happened. Very personable guy, spent ten minutes just chatting with him about life and whatnot. He offered up his card and a sincere apology for the mishap. Definitely will be staying here again should my travels bring me back through to the area.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
I stayed at this property last night and overall give it a thumbs up.

I called for a pickup from the Metropark train station when I arrived and was told the shuttle would arrive within 10 minutes. After 20 minutes later, I called back and was told he was on his way. Thirty minutes later, the driver finally arrived, however, while I know that it did not take 30 minutes to get from the hotel to the station, traffic was very heavy in/out/around the station so I overlooked this mishap.

As I went to check-in a gentleman was working the desk. As I walked towards him, he picked up a box of cigarettes and went on a smoke break. Another associate had to come over and check me in, though she stopped a few seconds beforehand to friendly chat with the associate going on break .

I was given a Junior Suite on the third floor, but I am not sure what's Junior about it other than the fact it seems to be smaller than the other suites on the floor. I would consider it a full sized suite with a sitting area when you first enter the room with a television, sofa, and chair. Then there is a small hallway with the large bathroom off to the right (with the aforementioned odd tub) and then a fully separate bedroom which was also pretty sizable. My only complaint about the room was that you can only control the a/c in the bedroom, so the living room and bathroom tend to get a bit stuffy.

I got there past the official hor d'oeuvres time, but the lounge still had out fried ravioli and miniature chicken cordon bleu with miniature modified renditions of strawberry shortcake out for dessert. The lounge attendant was a bit surly though as she just sat in the back room reading a paper. I had dropped a piece of cake (which I planned to clean up) and she just said "You dropped some cake, there are napkins over there, you can put it on this tray after you clean it up" as she continued to read .

Checkout staff was much friendlier than check-in or lounge staff. A request I had made during my stay was never fulfilled, so I mentioned it to the front desk manager when I checked out, who went to follow up on it. Apparently the request was never made note of, and the person whom I had spoken to did not "recall" ever having been given the request, so I asked to speak to the General Manager, not really to complain, but just to let him know what had happened. Very personable guy, spent ten minutes just chatting with him about life and whatnot. He offered up his card and a sincere apology for the mishap. Definitely will be staying here again should my travels bring me back through to the area.
Welcome to New Jersey!

I can't tell where you spend most of your time, as you have multiple locations listed in your profile, but if you are used to Las Vegas customer service, you will be disappointed in NJ.

I have stayed several times at this place, and although I haven't had such insulting service as you describe, I have certainly seen their surly side. I would have to say that it's not a culture of the hotel, but a few bad actors. Some individual staff (a doorman, a front desk clerk, and a waiter) have been genuinely concerned about providing great service.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC
3 issues this week

I had three issues with this property this week:
- At check in, I was not granted the club access that my rate included. I asked for club, was told "no", then I reminded the agent that I had paid for it, and he added it to my card.
- At check out, my bill was incorrect. It included an internet charge that was also included in my rate.
- I called today. Spoke with an incompetent agent for 5 minutes, asked to speak to a Manager, waited on hold for 6 minutes, then I was hung up on.

Absolutely inexcusable.

I have spent considerable time working in the Edison area. I have never had issues like this at the newly renovated Sheraton Raritan Center or the Hilton Woodbridge. Or, quite frankly even the nearby Courtyard (which is in poor repair and neighbors a busy interchange).

From what I can tell, this is a terribly managed property.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:49 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Photos from the Junior Suite:

Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: United, USAIR, Marriott, Hilton
Woodbridge Renaissance

I stay at this hotel frequently. Staff has gotten better. When the hotel in Somerset opted out of the Marriott brand, some of the staff moved to the Woodbridge Hotel. I find them to be responsive to every request. I don't always get all that I ask for, but I always get a good listen and a reasonable response.

Some of the regular clientele at the hotel fly here for shopping at nearby malls. So the van has a regular schedule of visiting the malls. That can account for a slow pickup at the train station. If you phone in advance, they can advise you of the van schedule.

This is my preferred Marriott in northern New Jersey.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I checked in today and just before I did I went online and saw still suites available for booking. At 42 suites I thought they would have one (yes I know it is not part of the Plat benefits but hey...). Well they are "out of suites" and no king rooms on 7th floor, 6th floor (still club level) it is. Room is a bit larger but not much.

CL is nice and wings, cheese, pasta, veggies, and shot glass deserts are all good.

I don't know what but the staff gives weird vibe. I can tell you that Ren EWR staff was friendlier.

More to come after the stay. just initial thoughts.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Originally Posted by iztok
I checked in today and just before I did I went online and saw still suites available for booking. At 42 suites I thought they would have one (yes I know it is not part of the Plat benefits but hey...). Well they are "out of suites" and no king rooms on 7th floor, 6th floor (still club level) it is. Room is a bit larger but not much.

CL is nice and wings, cheese, pasta, veggies, and shot glass deserts are all good.

I don't know what but the staff gives weird vibe. I can tell you that Ren EWR staff was friendlier.

More to come after the stay. just initial thoughts.
OK so it isn't just me... i thought of them as wanna be associates at a W or an Aloft...sort of aloof maybe???
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by iztok
Lying about available upgrades is so common. I'm in a similar situation right now. What Corporate promises the franchisees give away. I'm for a ground roots movement where FT'ers "almost" book upgraded rooms in the parking lot before check-in on their laptops and show the screens when lied to at check-in...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.