FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Bottled water at SpringHill Suites (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1972292-bottled-water-springhill-suites.html)

Annapurna Jun 2, 19 7:42 am

Bottled water at SpringHill Suites

I am staying at a SHS property in the US and there was no bottled water in the room. When I asked at the Front Desk I was told that np water is provided and since I had chosen points as my Platinum welcome amenity, I would have to pay for bottled water.

Is this the norm for SHS? I have never come across this policy after staying at hundreds of Starriott, Hilton & IHG hotels over the years and thought I would ask here on FT.

The hotel also has a 'welcome letter' in the room (laminated for use for all guests) asking that guests should rate a 9 or 10 in any survey. May be it is just me but I feel this is somewhat shameless and I would be inclined to award a lower score just for this reason, even if everything else was fine, which it is not.

catocony Jun 2, 19 8:31 am

You don't get bottled water in legacy Marriott limited-service props in the US. At least not free bottled water, in Courtyards there's frequently a liter bottle for sale for relatively high price.

Most properties have either filtered water dispensers or large bottle dispensers in the exercise room.

satman40 Jun 2, 19 9:40 am

Hilton treats their Diamonds to one bottle on check-in..

I felt so lucky,,

margarita girl Jun 2, 19 11:17 am

Originally Posted by catocony (Post 31162644)
Most properties have either filtered water dispensers or large bottle dispensers in the exercise room.

This! I just completed a two week vacation throughout Australia and used ZERO plastic water bottles!

C17PSGR Jun 2, 19 11:38 am

I know pre-merger, Starwood was pushing hard to eliminate all plastic bottles at hotels, both in room and in meetings, but was getting pushback from some hotels. Marriott has been pushing more gently on the issue but I'm glad to hear that the Springhill you stayed in isn't providing them.

Hilton gives golds two bottles on check-in but many people turn them down. I had a check in the other day at a HIlton and they offered them ... I told them no thanks and asked how many people didn't take them, she said most turn them down.

In a recent stay at a Marriott in Hawaii where they have eliminated plastic bottles, they give a reusable collapsible plastic flask at check-in and have filtered water dispensers around the hotel.

JackE Jun 2, 19 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 31163110)
I told them no thanks and asked how many people didn't take them, she said most turn them down.

I wonder how common it is to turn down water bottles. I accept them; any other "votes"?

HNLbasedFlyer Jun 2, 19 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by JackE (Post 31163354)
I wonder how common it is to turn down water bottles.

I hope very common. Living in Hawaii one gets to see firsthand how plastic bottles are so harmful to the environment

Collierkr Jun 2, 19 4:25 pm

Wow we are complaining about a$3 bottle of water!?

mahasamatman Jun 2, 19 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 31163380)
I hope very common. Living in Hawaii one gets to see firsthand how plastic bottles are so harmful to the environment

I would love to see hotels ban disposable water bottles. Fairmont uses refillable glass bottles.

davie355 Jun 2, 19 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 31163380)

While I understand your point, that is a problem of improper disposal, not an inherent problem with plastic bottles.

HNLbasedFlyer Jun 2, 19 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 31164078)

While I understand your point, that is a problem of improper disposal, not an inherent problem with plastic bottles.

6 out of 7 plastic bottles are not properly disposed in the US - therefore, leaving future generations with the aftereffects. I've chosen to not add to the problem - it just isn't necessary.

mahasamatman Jun 2, 19 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 31164091)
6 out of 7 plastic bottles are not properly disposed in the US

And then there's the impact of production...

AlanInDC Jun 2, 19 5:51 pm

In the U.S. I generally turn them down. Tap water is fine. Occasionally, it is useful to have one bottle if you are touring about all day.

C17PSGR Jun 2, 19 7:20 pm

The problem isn't really improper disposal. SPG was a leader in sustainability and viewed it as a competitive advantage.

Currently, the issue is that any disposal can be a huge issue. Several countries are rejecting plastic collected during recycling in the US/Canada/UK. So, even if we use the recycle bin, there is a substantial chance it won't get recycled.

s0ssos Jun 2, 19 7:50 pm

I understand you work for the Keep America Beautiful group. Which is sponsored by companies like Coca-cola.
No, the issue is actually having that available. People are sheeple. Who don't recycle (nor do the vast majority who do know how, because if you have a dirty bottle China will reject the plastic, meaning all the rest of the plastic mixed with your dirty bottle gets thrown out).
It is an inherent issue with plastic bottles.