Bottled water at SpringHill Suites

Old Jun 2, 19, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
Originally Posted by Annapurna View Post
The hotel also has a 'welcome letter' in the room (laminated for use for all guests) asking that guests should rate a 9 or 10 in any survey. May be it is just me but I feel this is somewhat shameless and I would be inclined to award a lower score just for this reason, even if everything else was fine, which it is not.
Like a few others in this thread, I'm a fan of having a reusable bottle in the room / in a lounge that I can refill during my stay. I'm particularly pleased when I get a choice of flat water or sparkling water that I can fill my bottle with. (Marriott in-terminal YYC for example.)

As for the "please rate us 9 or 10", I'm less of a fan of that. I realize that NPS is a thing these days but asking for a certain score doesn't help IMHO. I think the focus should be on getting people to fill out a survey and fill it out accurately. If you get 9 or 10 - good for you. If you don't, at least you'll have honest feedback to deal with.
lbbzman likes this.
Old Jun 3, 19, 9:43 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
At my first AC Hotel stay in Portland, OR, each room is provided a full bottle of water in a paper carton on a complimentary basis. There are also filtered water dispenser on each floor for refill.
Old Jun 3, 19, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I would love to see hotels ban disposable water bottles. Fairmont uses refillable glass bottles.
So does Marriott LAX.

James
Old Jun 3, 19, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post

While I understand your point, that is a problem of improper disposal, not an inherent problem with plastic bottles.
The inherent problem with plastic bottles is that it takes 3X as much water to make them than the volume it holds. A billion 1/2 litre bottles takes 1.5 billion litres of water, a little over 396,000,000 US Gallons; enough to fill 600 Olympic sized swimming pools.

Do you think a billion bottles is a lot? In the USA alone, 50 billion plastic bottles were used last year. Scary!

James
Old Jun 3, 19, 7:03 pm

Location: 50.1% in PDX and 49.9% in PVG ( 182 days in Shanghai in 2017 )
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
FWIW I am a regular at my SHS and always get two small bottles of water even though I take points, maybe because I'm platinum elite but also get other perks. I recalled the first few times I stayed there they provided water and points.

Sorry is tap water that dangerous, LOL
Old Jun 3, 19, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post

While I understand your point, that is a problem of improper disposal, not an inherent problem with plastic bottles.
Exactly - the problem isn't plastic trash, the problem is lazy people, businesses and governments not mandating 100% required recycling of all plastic materials so not one single item of plastic ends up in the environment. I expect bottled water at check-in, and I've been offered it at the Fairfield Boca Airport as part of their Plat amenity kit, in addition to points, and I expect to see water in my room at every Sheraton and Westin hotel. I don't stay at Marriotts so I have no idea what the standard is there.

I take a moment to put the bottles in the blue recycle bins and I expect total compliance from the hotel to ensure everything from that blue bin is sorted into a recycling container for pickup and processing. Any person or business who does not comply with recycling requirements should be given a very hefty fine. At home my recycle wheeled bin, which is the same size as my trash bin, is filled to overflow every week while my trash bin may have two 13gal bags, but usually just one.

If a hotel wants to offer me a sealed, re-usable, recycled plastic bottle that I can refill myself from a clean, filtered and sterile source, then I am happy to go that route provided the bottle will be recycled through waste processing after my stay and not end up in the landfill - and that does not mean being recycled directly to the next guest.
Old Yesterday, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
I understand you work for the Keep America Beautiful group. Which is sponsored by companies like Coca-cola.
No, the issue is actually having that available. People are sheeple. Who don't recycle (nor do the vast majority who do know how, because if you have a dirty bottle China will reject the plastic, meaning all the rest of the plastic mixed with your dirty bottle gets thrown out).
It is an inherent issue with plastic bottles.

We should not be depending on China. Recycle what we can and put the rest in landfills. We have plenty of technology, plenty of funds if you don't count our $22 trillion debt, and plenty of space for landfills.
nancypants likes this.
Old Yesterday, 9:14 pm

I've had no problem getting bottled water, I've always been offered two bottles at check-in, and never had problems getting multiple extra bottles.

I find the pontificating about waste humorous, people fly and travel and think nothing of many things big houses, new cars, etc. etc. that are wasteful and far more destructive than the plastic water bottles.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Yesterday, 11:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
I find the pontificating about waste humorous
Others don't.

Annual consumption of plastic bottles is set to top half a trillion by 2021. Less than a third are recycled. Everyone, including Marriott, should make changes to consume less single-use plastic.
C17PSGR and margarita girl like this.
Old Today, 1:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Others don't.

Annual consumption of plastic bottles is set to top half a trillion by 2021. Less than a third are recycled. Everyone, including Marriott, should make changes to consume less single-use plastic.
And ... there is no significant issue of houses and cars ending up in our water supply. The practical issue is that a lot of bottled water comes from municipal water supplies and then is trucked around. Considering the typical Springhill Suites in middle America. the water from the tap is likely better.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Today, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by JackE View Post
We should not be depending on China. Recycle what we can and put the rest in landfills. We have plenty of technology, plenty of funds if you don't count our $22 trillion debt, and plenty of space for landfills.
As far as I know the US does not recycle any plastic. Please let me know if I am wrong.
As you know, plastic doesn't degrade, and that is why putting it in landfills doesn't sound like a good idea.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Today, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Others don't.

esc

Tongue in cheek comment, but seriously how often do people change their phones, don't recycle their batteries, make an extra few trips, take extravagant vacations and stay in 5 star hotels, what are the sum impact to our Earth from those, far more than a couple bottles.

No questions the every escalated convenience and use of the bottles by the poor to the ultra rich and that problem has created a huge problem. For those that can grandstand easy, as not everyone can live like the top 10% in a Western Economy so easy to pontificate.