Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Australia - Deceptive and misleading 'total price' advertising

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Australia - Deceptive and misleading 'total price' advertising

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by margarita girl
No, that is incorrect. FDA I spoke to about this in Australia said they would add the credit card surcharge if I was to buy a Marriott gift card with a credit card in Australia.
I was talking about gift cards more generically, which generally don’t have a surcharge added

if Marriott wants to add a surcharge to their gift cards in Australia (would anyone be stupid enough to buy it?), go and get a prepaid MasterCard for $100 from a supermarket instead
drron likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nancypants

I was talking about gift cards more generically, which generally don’t have a surcharge added

if Marriott wants to add a surcharge to their gift cards in Australia (would anyone be stupid enough to buy it?), go and get a prepaid MasterCard for $100 from a supermarket instead
As I posted earlier in the thread, there seems to be some collusion between hotels in Australia to add on this credit card surcharge. I've dealt with plenty of small merchants in Australia who don't have it. Credit card fees should be part of the cost of doing business.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold

the question i’m asking is when you spend that gift card, are you still getting $100 worth of goods, or are you getting $97.08 worth of goods which has been repriced to $100 to accomodate the credit card surcharge?

nb you’d almost certainly pay $100 not $103 for the gift card in Australia as well...
Buying a gift card from Marriott.com (no card fee of course) would/should by pass the credit card fee from hotels in au so that's a pretty good advice for future au trip if looking to save some money. Haven't double checked this. Just using common sense.
One question. Do people walk around in au with enough cash to cover Hotel bills and restaurants?

I'm amazed how everything in Australia is so different and weird.

No, that is incorrect. FDA I spoke to about this in Australia said they would add the credit card surcharge if I was to buy a Marriott gift card with a credit card in Australia.
How about buy the gift card from anywhere else in the rest of the world? Same? Makes no sense to add a credit card fee if someone is paying with a gift card lol.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by joakgarp; Jun 2, 2019 at 4:01 pm
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Buying a gift card from Marriott.com (no card fee of course) would by pass the credit card fee from hotels in au so that's a pretty good advice for future au trip if looking to save some money.
One question. Do people walk around in au with enough cash to cover Hotel bills and restaurants?
Yes, that was my plan to avoid the fees. Melbourne Marriott had no issues with the gift card and it saved me 2%. Unfortunately, I had limited success with legacy Starwood properties because they don't know how to process the gift cards. Westin Perth agreed to waive the 1.5% credit card fee since they couldn't apply my gift cards. Sheraton Sydney took photocopies of the front and back of my gift cards and still haven't closed out my folio (I checked out 2 days ago). Sheraton Grand Mirage Gold Coast kept my gift card and took 2 weeks to process it, and I still owed them about $8, but the remaining charge was never put through on my credit card that they had on file.

On this trip, I did not use cash at all. I paid for everything with credit cards, which is why I know that very few merchants add a credit card fee. Heck, I even paid for $1 postcard with my credit card (no added fee)! The only place that wouldn't take credit cards on my trip last month, was at the Chinese massage spa, but their prices were pretty good.
joakgarp likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:06 pm

Buying a gift card from Marriott.com (no card fee of course) would/should by pass the credit card fee from hotels in au so that's a pretty good advice for future au trip if looking to save some money. Haven't double checked this. Just using common sense.

I'm amazed how everything in Australia is so different and weird.

How about buy the gift card from anywhere else in the rest of the world? Same? Makes no sense to add a credit card fee if someone is paying with a gift card lol.
well exactly, but you’ve just gotta be smart about these things

i didn’t think the conversation was about being charged a fee for PAYING with a gift card, so much as being charged a surcharge for BUYING a gift card anyway

no one is walking around with enough cash to cover hotel bills. They are either shopping at places that don’t charge a fee, absorbing the fee and not worrying about it (it’s 1% and if it bothers people that much it can be avoided), or in some instances you can pay with EFTPOS or a debit card which avoids the fee

on a scale of how much the average Australian worries about things, this would rank close to the bottom. Some would say “different and weird”, others would say “better” 😉
joakgarp likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know about the rest of the world, but I bought my gift cards from Marriott Waikiki. No added fees of course.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, prepaid Visa and Mastercard gift cards usually have an activation fee and some even have a monthly fee if you don't spend the amount quickly enough! They're terrible and I would never buy those.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:21 pm

Actually, prepaid Visa and Mastercard gift cards usually have an activation fee and some even have a monthly fee if you don't spend the amount quickly enough! They're terrible and I would never buy those.
again, caveat emptor, there are plenty without
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:26 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
AU permits credit card surcharges and hotels seem to prominently display that. But ... my recollection is that I haven't actually been charged the surcharges.

And OP -- did you write to Marriott Australia on this?

Here's the LinkedIn page for the Marriott AVP over ANZ. He's in Sydney so will certainly understand the issue.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sean-hun...alSubdomain=au

I'd drop him a quick note, keep it short and focused, and ask him to address the issue. Seems to me like an issue Marriott can quickly fix and allow the regulators to focus on more important issues.

Please share his response ... we'll be happy to hear how they address it!
I will drop them a line pointing out the issues they face and the fact some of the competition actually charge the advertised rate without surcharges on prepaid bookings.
C17PSGR and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:31 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
I may have missed this detail but what did the relevant authorities say when you reported it?
I have yet to report it to the authorities, like all good dispute resolution techniques, it’s best to give the other party a chance to rectify it themselves before escalation to authorities and the risk of significant action. Why post it on flyertalk, well for a start such forums are monitored by the other party, and it doesn’t hurt to make fellow travellers aware of what is an illegal practice by a provider.
seanp7, Isochronous and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
It’s not always 1.5%. Melbourne Marriott charges 2%. And if I’m not mistaken, Sheraton Grand Mirage Port Douglas wanted to charge me 2% for Visa/MC and 3.5% for Amex a couple of years ago. Rather ironic since the SPG branded card was an Amex!

I think a case could be made for collusion amongst the hotels for these credit card surcharges. They all charge it, yet most small merchants don’t, including the small shop in Chinatown that replaced the glass on my iPhone. One FDA tried to tell me that merchants who don’t charge it build it into the price. She couldn’t explain however why I was able to buy $300 gift cards from Marriott hotels in the US for $300. And that’s how I was able to avoid paying the cc surcharges in Australia!
Do USD denominated gift cards bought from Marriott in the US work at any Marriott worldwide? How does the exchange rate work in practice?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Isochronous
Do USD denominated gift cards bought from Marriott in the US work at any Marriott worldwide? How does the exchange rate work in practice?
Yes. The exchange rate is almost identical to the XE rate.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver
Can’t you avoid the fee by just paying with a bank debit card? Don’t the Aussie airlines also charge a CC fee?

I’d find it hard to believe that the big chains would be willfully violating the rules in a regulation-happy country like Australia.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum

Excellent - does purchase of Marriott GC qualify for bonus points on the Bonvoy Brilliant Amex?

Originally Posted by umich07
Can’t you avoid the fee by just paying with a bank debit card? Don’t the Aussie airlines also charge a CC fee?

I’d find it hard to believe that the big chains would be willfully violating the rules in a regulation-happy country like Australia.
Yes but the airlines offer you the option to pay via BPay or Polipay for free.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Isochronous
I find that surprising. I would have guessed that they'd try to charge at the DCC rate. IME the XE rate is usually pretty good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.