Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Cambrian, Design Hotel - Adelboden, Switzerland [Master Thread}

Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Cat 7. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...design-hotels/

"An outdoor thermal pool hypnotically appears as though it is flowing over its own edge to lead its occupants straight into the surrounding soaring mountains. Nestled deep in a valley in the Swiss Alpine village of Adelboden, The Cambrian looks out onto one of the world's most spectacular landscapes. Combining sleek, modern design with innovative uses of natural, local materials, The Cambrian's exquisite interior effortlessly reflects its exterior, adding to the purifying immensity of the mountains. With some of Switzerland's best ski slopes as well as hiking trails, this outstanding location is the ideal destination for both winter and summer. Adelboden, meaning noble ground, is conveniently situated a mere 1 hour from Bern and only two hours and a half from Geneva."

Looks like a good choice if one is skiing (or hiking in the summer). The website pictures mention a club lounge. Is this really like an exec lounge or just more like a bar lounge (if someone has stayed there)?

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
.........The website pictures mention a club lounge. Is this really like an exec lounge or just more like a bar lounge (if someone has stayed there)?...........
Website mentioned Club Room Lounge. Not sure why it says that but it is just a lounge area, not a bar, off the lobby. It is a small property without any Club Lounge as in Executive Lounge.

It is probably the nicest property in Adelboden but the town is not very interesting.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
Website mentioned Club Room Lounge. Not sure why it says that but it is just a lounge area, not a bar, off the lobby. It is a small property without any Club Lounge as in Executive Lounge.

It is probably the nicest property in Adelboden but the town is not very interesting.
Is it ski-in/ski-out?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Is it ski-in/ski-out?
Unfortunately, no. Main ski area is some distance away from Adelboden. Property provides a free shuttle to gondola base then it is a long ride to actual ski area. I don't think there is any ski-in/ski-out property in Adelboden at all.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I just created another Design property thread (yes, I'm working my way through the Design properties to add them so we can get property specific reports) & the one in Chandolin seems like it might be ski in/ski out.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Best Western Diamond, OW Emerald
Marriott Elite Benefits

Can anyone who has stayed at this property confirm what Marriott elite benefits (if any) are offered here?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by EdChambers
Can anyone who has stayed at this property confirm what Marriott elite benefits (if any) are offered here?
Normally they upgrade to a room with a view, and you get the 1000 points. Breakfast is great and costs 25 CHF per day.
They just renovated all their rooms, much nicer now than before.
Keep in mind this hotel gets very busy on weekends, so most likely no upgrade, and the spa gets crowded. Weekdays its so much nicer...
TerryK and EdChambers like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EdChambers
It is a Design Hotel. Marriott elite benefits are 1,000 points and possible one category upgrade.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
I stayed here in August 2016 and it was one of the most horrible hotel stays ever. The front desk agent was a clueless intern who took over 20 minues (without the queue) to check in, the bathroom had serious mold cover at shower area, the room had several issues as well. Back then in the room they had signs that breakfast is free (as on every booking channel it was advertised it so as well), only to discover later in the restaurant that it was not the case for SPG members.

The GM was downright hostile, claiming that the hotel has had visitors from over 50 countries and all of them enjoy the fungus in bathroom and I should not worry. She said that they just do not have enough cleaning staff during the summer months, so sometimes they don't do laundry between the guests and let the mold grow as well.

After getting SPG involved later, I managed to recover the cost for the night eventually.

Only nice thing as a small (crowded) swimming pool with mountain views. Perhaps now after renovations they have also renovated the management and situation is better. But I would not return.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:06 am

Based on reviews it looks like things have improved from 2016 (except for the poor guy on TripAdvisor who apparently wants US plugs in every hotel LOL!)
EdChambers likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Best Western Diamond, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by thomasito
Normally they upgrade to a room with a view, and you get the 1000 points. Breakfast is great and costs 25 CHF per day.
They just renovated all their rooms, much nicer now than before.
Keep in mind this hotel gets very busy on weekends, so most likely no upgrade, and the spa gets crowded. Weekdays its so much nicer...
Thank you for the information! This is probably a foolish question, but I assume 25 CHF per day for breakfast is per person and not per room correct?
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:56 pm

Any recent stays?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.