Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Double-dip on breakfast during early check-in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double-dip on breakfast during early check-in

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
based on what? I mean if we're just talking about what you wish the rules were, then OK, sure. But I think the OP wants to know what he's actually able to get and what might be up to the whims of the property and/or front desk agent.
Oh maybe based on the Law. What is the difference between paying for 2 breakfast at the restaurant or prepaying for breakfast? No difference. The OP paid for and is entitled to 2 paid breakfast. So now if the guest has no Status that would be it. If the guest status includes option for 2 breakfast he now has 4. If OP doesn’t get the Status breakfast because he mistakenly prepaid for 2 breakfast he would be treated the same as someone with NO Status. Any chance you now agree?
Old May 31, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Regarding getting breakfast on day of arrival....many of my trips are early morning arrival and early morning departures. I've shown my travel itinerary to desk clerks (in hotels with no lounges) to show I'm departing before the restaurant/lounge opens on my departure date, and I've always gotten a comped restaurant breakfast on arrival, with the understanding I wouldn't have access to breakfast on the departure date. Granted, it's not in the rules, but it's a reasonable request.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER

Any chance you now agree?
No.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:42 am

I am not sure what you are stating here but if a guest is entitled to 4 breakfast on morning of check out then the guest could use 2 the morning of arrival and then 2 the morning of check out or 1 the morning of arrival and 3 the morning of check out. The guest doesn't have to ask the hotel permission the guest can just do it.
What???

The guest just charges into the restaurant and announces "I GET FREE FOOD"

Try it and report back. But don't be surprised if you get told "no sir you get a bill" LOL!

And no they don't stack except in the world of "DYKWIA" entitlement LOL! And even if they did you get the for the perk of free breakfast after you spend the night. So if you want to be a glutton and go eat 4 breakfasts one morning go for it but you don't get to show up early or come back a few days later to claim your 'entitlement'

What's next in your world "well I am thinking of staying here tonight so I am going to eat my free breakfast today to see if I like it enough to stay tonight"?
Old May 31, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
What???

The guest just charges into the restaurant and announces "I GET FREE FOOD"

Try it and report back. But don't be surprised if you get told "no sir you get a bill" LOL!

And no they don't stack except in the world of "DYKWIA" entitlement LOL! And even if they did you get the for the perk of free breakfast after you spend the night. So if you want to be a glutton and go eat 4 breakfasts one morning go for it but you don't get to show up early or come back a few days later to claim your 'entitlement'

What's next in your world "well I am thinking of staying here tonight so I am going to eat my free breakfast today to see if I like it enough to stay tonight"?
Nobody said anything about charging into a restaurant and announcing anything. Your hyperbole throughout just kills any serious consideration of the substance in your reply.

If you're paying for breakfast in your rate - and the hotel is also getting elite program compensation for breakfast as your welcome gift- its not unreasonable to ask the hotel if you can have breakfast for 2, on both days of your stay, as a result.

After all, the marginal cost for them for an extra buffet is 0. Even without breakfast in my rate, just with the elite benefit selection, some hotels have offered me to have breakfast both days at no charge, because I arrived early. Sometimes when I'm hungry I've availed, and other times Ive thanked them but declined.

I don't think anyone was advocating DYKWIA behavior or a sense of entitlement. But applying logic and professional behavior to the situation (usually at check in) often leads to a mutually agreeable outcome without the fuss or hyperbole you describe.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:52 am

Plot twist: OP is really big and eats a lot, so he actually needs two normal-person breakfasts to make a meal.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is neither entitled to breakfast on the day of check-in. Period. Anytime someone uses the word "technically" it usually means that he knows the answer.

Nothing prevents a property from offering and nothing prevents a customer from asking. Thus, wait for the offer and, if you wish, ask. Don;t go eat and then expect it to be comped after the fact.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Flip side of this is what happens if OP has an early checkin but is leaving super early the nexy morning... before breakfast opens.

Technically entitled to breakfast only on the morning after arrival date, BUT......

// I bet most billing systems would comp one morning meal per stay even if it the day before checkout. But restaurants that use a printout of what room#s get free breakfast would be stumped. HR Maui used such a method last month. The lack of tech seemed very 1980s (much like every other aspect of that property).
Old May 31, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

You make a very good point about wanting the Hotel to follow the rules only when it benefits the guest. My question is when a guest books a rate including 2 breakfast and checks in at 8 am and is handed 2 breakfast coupons do you think there is a rule that they cannot be used immediately?
I suppose if the guest is given coupons for breakfast, it doesn't really matter when they use them. I get these at Hiltons sometimes, but can't remember getting them at Marriotts -- usually I give my room number if breakfast is comped in the restaurant.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Oh love those 'where is my popcorn' threads. 'Entitled to 4 breakfasts' - what a bizzare phrase. The hotel might extend you a courtesy if you arrive earlier and this is it. On a side note, I am sure people with such mentality who were hopping through 5 restaurants in an airport caused Amex to remove them from Priority Pass offering.
margarita girl and ftrichard like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Does the OP's corporate rate (or elite status) automatically get him breakfast for 2, even if he's staying by himself at the property? For the elite bennie, it's elite+1 if there is a +1. Otherwise, just elite. I would imagine corporate rate is similar. If the OP is traveling by himself & the corporate rate includes breakfast, it's presumably breakfast for 1, not 2.

Cheers.
JBord likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Does the OP's corporate rate (or elite status) automatically get him breakfast for 2, even if he's staying by himself at the property? For the elite bennie, it's elite+1 if there is a +1. Otherwise, just elite. I would imagine corporate rate is similar. If the OP is traveling by himself & the corporate rate includes breakfast, it's presumably breakfast for 1, not 2.

Cheers.
I think OP calculate as room rate with breakfast for 1 or 2 guests are the same, then he supposedly entitled for 2 breakfasts.
Either for 2 guests at one time or 2 times breakfast for 1 person
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Is the corporate rate which includes breakfast an eligible rate for stay/night & Elite Benefits? I was recently in the lounge at the Renaissance Santiago Chile and had a wonderful conversation with some BA Pilots. Their contracted rate included lounge access while the contracted rate for the FAs on the same flight did not. Neither was eligible for Elite Benefits nor night credits.

I would suspect that the terms of the corporate rate would not be superceded by a Member's Elite Status nor would they be combined.

James
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Is the corporate rate which includes breakfast an eligible rate for stay/night & Elite Benefits? I was recently in the lounge at the Renaissance Santiago Chile and had a wonderful conversation with some BA Pilots. Their contracted rate included lounge access while the contracted rate for the FAs on the same flight did not. Neither was eligible for Elite Benefits nor night credits.

I would suspect that the terms of the corporate rate would not be superceded by a Member's Elite Status nor would they be combined.

James
My last company had a corporate rate with Marriott that was just a discount. They also had a corporate rate with Hilton that was a discount and included breakfast for each day of the stay. At both hotels I received the appropriate elite benefits, including nights and points.

To your last sentence, the latter is correct, the benefits won't be combined -- you never get 4 breakfasts for 2 people . But in my experience, you'll get the greater of the corporate rate or your earned elite benefits. BUT, every corporate rate can be negotiated differently. Again, just my personal experience, but I think you could be correct about the OP's corporate rate, but may not be about corporate rates in general.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:08 pm

In vegas at the cosmopolitan I got this, and didn't even check in early.
There breakfast is really more of a epic mega brunch, and goes until 4pm or even 6 some days.

I was arguing with the front office manager about my upgrade - he kept going on and on that I only get a "1 category" - I wanted there best suite they do upgrades to, which is the wraparound suite. He was very strict on sticking to that rule they had, even though its BS, they can't take advantage of MBs reservation system and break all the rules of the program (They already break a bunch they actually have in the terms and conditions, one being no free breakfast for plats)..

Anyways I agreed to pay for the upgrade instead, he said it would be around 30min to get ready and asked him if I could have my free breakfast today while I wait. Surprising he said yea no problem you can get it every day. (I booked under the virtuoso rate to get breakfast included - Well actually only the first night, i did a couple more nights on points).. So really i was able to like quadruple dip.

And this is a manager trying to nickle and dime me at every turn, no proper free upgrade, no free welcome drink - just a stupid $10 credit, no 4pm late checkout (they offer 2pm, which isnt bad since technically as a resort they dont have to), no benefits at all if you dont ask.

Bottom line is YMMV and really doesn't hurt to ask. Buffets are buffets, the leftover food has to all be tossed out at the end of the day anyways, so it doesnt really lose them money really to let you have it if you otherwise arent likely to pay.

Como's breakfast is epic, and understandable to some degree why the negotiated with marriott to have it not be free for plats. Yet you still can get it free, and even double dip, if you ask. (and book thru virtuoso or other rate that includes breakfast).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.