Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Double-dip on breakfast during early check-in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double-dip on breakfast during early check-in

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
If I can check in early and I have lounge access, my lounge access begins immediately. If there is breakfast in the lounge, I'll partake.

However, if I can check in early and breakfast is served in the restaurant, I'll head to Starbucks.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
This happened to me at the Le Meriden Munich....I arrived about 8am and they didn’t have a room for me. They offered me breakfast and I was able to get the room at 10am. Exactly the same experience at the Westin in Mammoth Lakes.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
i apologize but I have to disagree. If a guest is in entitled to 2 free breakfast on a one night stay you are eligible to consume them on day of early arrival and no free breakfast on day of check out. Even the front desk agent laughing at the OP woul not refuse.
Disagree. Check in on day of arrival is 3pm (usually), so showing up at 6/7/8/9/10am does not entitle you (generic you) to free brekkie early morning before check-in, either in the restaurant or the exec lounge morning of arrival. Some properties (usually int'l) will offer it to you as a courtesy, but it's only that & is not required. The free brekkie is the next morning as part of the 1-night stay - aka, after the official check-in time/next day. Also (getting back to the OP's original question), it doesn't mean you can 'double dip' on breakfast.

Cheers.
Statman, writerguyfl and JBord like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP are you still in high school? Don't let them walk all over you. The next time you check in early at the hotel that laughed at you for a one night stay you consume 2 breakfast the morning of check in and 2 at check out and charge it all to your room as you mentioned if they do not use breakfast coupons.
Technically, the breakfast entitlement is usually stated in terms of, for example, breakfast for up to two guests (staying in the room in the hotel) each day of the stay. If you're traveling alone, this doesn't mean that you can eat breakfast twice, in two different hotel restaurants, although many lounges have no problem if the same person comes and goes, for instance having coffee and juice early and coming back a bit later for the full breakfast, or eating lightly before a phone call/early meeting/work/exercise and then returning for more food.

I could envision an exception if someone had a Your24 with very strange hours that would involve leaving the following morning (for a one night stay in my example) before breakfast time, say arrive 5 am and leave 4 am the following day, where breakfast the morning of arrival would make sense, but you cannot normally take breakfast on two different days if you're paying for one night in the hotel even if the hotel charges the same rate for single and double rooms.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
I agree there's no entitlement to breakfast upon arrival, no matter how many separate reasons there are that entitle the traveler to breakfast the following morning. But hotels in Bangkok -- which seems to be the main place I arrive in the early morning -- always invite me to have breakfast upon arrival. Mostly it's in the lounge (as recently happened at the Westin Grande Sukhumvit) but a few years ago the Plaza Athenee invited me to have breakfast in the restaurant, and when I said I was meeting a friend they let him have breakfast with me. Usually this invitation is part of the apology for my room not yet being ready. I don't think I've ever arrived in the early morning at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, but I bet they would let me have breakfast in Rossini's. (I have had similar experiences at a couple of airport hotels in Europe, but these are a Hyatt and an Hilton respectively and therefore irrelevant to this forum.)
Old May 30, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
I agree there's no entitlement to breakfast upon arrival, no matter how many separate reasons there are that entitle the traveler to breakfast the following morning. But hotels in Bangkok -
Which gets back to the point that many int'l properties will allow you entry to the exec lounge if your room isn't ready/you check in way too early. But they're not required to do so. And they don't have to let the OP 'double dip'.

Cheers.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Where possible, I *solve* the problem by using an airport arrivals lounge for breakfast and a shower and at SIN I try to arrange to stay in the airport transit hotel upon arrival. It seems much nicer to arrival at a decent hotel after at least a shower and clothes change following a long flight.
Assimilated Cajun likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
But that's very Dutch of course....

Would probably work in Italy.
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
My corporate rate usually gets me breakfast for two in Europe, and I also get breakfast for two as a Titanium member... I usually get early check-in (9 -ish, depending where I go). I know the conventional thinking is that you don't get plat + corporate breakfast, but does anyone here ask to use a breakfast on the day of arrival, on the grounds that you technically have double-breakfast? I've only tried doing that once in Amsterdam and they laughed at me and said "no". This post refers to hotels without an executive lounge.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:11 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
You guys are amazing LOL.

I recently arrived at hotel very early, 6:30AM ( I am a Ambassador Elite ). I technically arrived way earlier and didn't expect a room, regardless they found me a room and told me my upgraded suite wouldn't be ready. Of course I showered, changed, and went and had breakfast that morning and the next ( double dip? ) . I guess if I was living on a "coupon" I'd likely have asked for one that morning as well as the next.

I'd be shocked if any employee denied me, but I'm sure the rules are the rules. What kind of hospitality business are we expecting for them. Now if this is "abused" that is why there are rules!

Last edited by chipmaster; May 31, 2019 at 3:20 am
Old May 31, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Which gets back to the point that many int'l properties will allow you entry to the exec lounge if your room isn't ready/you check in way too early. But they're not required to do so. And they don't have to let the OP 'double dip'.

Cheers.
If you're not checked in, I would think that's a big exception to allow lounge access, as you'd have to code a key card. If you are allowed to check in early, then they've granted you access -- that doesn't start at a different time. But neither scenario allows you breakfast outside the lounge, that's always an exception.

Originally Posted by chipmaster
You guys are amazing LOL.

I recently arrived at hotel very early, 6:30AM ( I am a Ambassador Elite ). I technically arrived way earlier and didn't expect a room, regardless they found me a room and told me my upgraded suite wouldn't be ready. Of course I showered, changed, and went and had breakfast that morning and the next ( double dip? ) . I guess if I was living on a "coupon" I'd likely have asked for one that morning as well as the next.

I'd be shocked if any employee denied me, but I'm sure the rules are the rules. What kind of hospitality business are we expecting for them. Now if this is "abused" that is why there are rules!
What's amazing is that some customers expect the hotel to follow every program rule to the letter, and then they also expect them to change the rules whenever it suits the customer -- "shocked" when they don't. As you wrote, the rules are the rules. Each hotel has latitude to provide more than the promised benefits, but when people begin to expect them to bend the rules, we end up with dozens of complaint threads here.

Again, the bottom line here is that the OP, if not offered breakfast, can ask politely for it and accept the answer.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:33 am

I am not sure what you are stating here but if a guest is entitled to 4 breakfast on morning of check out

OK, but is the guest entitled to 4? There's nothing that indicates these benefits stack. People have this same sort of discussion all the time when they have multiple methods of airline lounge entry.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by JBord
If you're not checked in, I would think that's a big exception to allow lounge access, as you'd have to code a key card. If you are allowed to check in early, then they've granted you access -- that doesn't start at a different time. But neither scenario allows you breakfast outside the lounge, that's always an exception.

What's amazing is that some customers expect the hotel to follow every program rule to the letter, and then they also expect them to change the rules whenever it suits the customer -- "shocked" when they don't. As you wrote, the rules are the rules. Each hotel has latitude to provide more than the promised benefits, but when people begin to expect them to bend the rules, we end up with dozens of complaint threads here.

Again, the bottom line here is that the OP, if not offered breakfast, can ask politely for it and accept the answer.
You make a very good point about wanting the Hotel to follow the rules only when it benefits the guest. My question is when a guest books a rate including 2 breakfast and checks in at 8 am and is handed 2 breakfast coupons do you think there is a rule that they cannot be used immediately?
Old May 31, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Not an entitlement, but worth asking - and a nice gesture if the property does it. Those saying that it's 'strictly for the following day' - I don't know, we've all departed at 5am before and missed the 'entitled' breakfast on said day, plus I often stay solo and only use one of two breakfast entitlements, etc. It likely all evens out in the end, and we should all just take a nice deep breath (and focus on the St Regis Aspen ).

Never hurts to ask, and it's a nice impression if met.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
OK, but is the guest entitled to 4? There's nothing that indicates these benefits stack. People have this same sort of discussion all the time when they have multiple methods of airline lounge entry.
To me they stack. The guest paid a higher breakfast for 2 rate. Those are 2 paid for breakfast. Now if the guest happens to have Marriott Titanic Status that the benefits include the option of breakfast for 2 the guest now has breakfast for 4. Not that my experience matters but I could name at least 5 times I was offered up to 4 breakfast no problem thank you for staying with us.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:54 am

To me they stack.
based on what? I mean if we're just talking about what you wish the rules were, then OK, sure. But I think the OP wants to know what he's actually able to get and what might be up to the whims of the property and/or front desk agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.