Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Double-dip on breakfast during early check-in

Old May 30, 2019, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

My corporate rate usually gets me breakfast for two in Europe, and I also get breakfast for two as a Titanium member... I usually get early check-in (9 -ish, depending where I go). I know the conventional thinking is that you don't get plat + corporate breakfast, but does anyone here ask to use a breakfast on the day of arrival, on the grounds that you technically have double-breakfast? I've only tried doing that once in Amsterdam and they laughed at me and said "no". This post refers to hotels without an executive lounge.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:43 pm

I don't see what "technically have double breakfast" (which isn't even a thing) has to do with getting a free breakfast the morning you check in early (which neither your corporate rate nor your elite benefit provides)
Old May 30, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Whenever possible, I avoid early check ins like this for several reasons -- try to time my flights so that I'll arrive at the hotel closer to noon. But outside of a lounge breakfast, you can ask, and I think the hotel has a right to say No.

It's a little petty for a breakfast that probably costs $5-8 per person, but I can see an argument for one breakfast per night stayed.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Some hotel are generous and invite early check in elites to have breakfast on the day of arrival.
But they don't have to do that.

I did arrive early on several occasion and the some FD invite me to have breakfast in the restaurant while waiting for the room to be ready (or lounge of property have one)
Old May 30, 2019, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At times, I've been invited to partake of breakfast in the lounge when I arrived mid-morning and my room wasn't yet available, but I would never ask nor would I try to get food in the lounge in such circumstances without being invited to do so.

IMO it's only if your room isn;t ready when promised (check in time or approved Your24 request) that the hotel owes you some customer service gesture such as breakfast or a drink while you wait.
Antarius, JBord and kaizen7 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At times, I've been invited to partake of breakfast in the lounge when I arrived mid-morning and my room wasn't yet available, but I would never ask nor would I try to get food in the lounge in such circumstances without being invited to do so.

IMO it's only if your room isn;t ready when promised (check in time or approved Your24 request) that the hotel owes you some customer service gesture such as breakfast or a drink while you wait.
Same experience & agree w/ MSP.

Cheers.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I don't see what "technically have double breakfast" (which isn't even a thing) has to do with getting a free breakfast the morning you check in early (which neither your corporate rate nor your elite benefit provides)
I am not sure what you are stating here but if a guest is entitled to 4 breakfast on morning of check out then the guest could use 2 the morning of arrival and then 2 the morning of check out or 1 the morning of arrival and 3 the morning of check out. The guest doesn't have to ask the hotel permission the guest can just do it.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
I am not sure what you are stating here but if a guest is entitled to 4 breakfast on morning of check out then the guest could use 2 the morning of arrival and then 2 the morning of check out or 1 the morning of arrival and 3 the morning of check out. The guest doesn't have to ask the hotel permission the guest can just do it.
At some hotels they give vouchers in which case I agree with you, but at most hotels in Europe, in my experience, you just give the room number and the computer automatically removes the breakfast charge... the other complication though, is that I don't think that I actually get 4 breakfasts do I? To be clear, I'm entitled to 2 breakfasts/night with corporate rate; and I'm entitled to 2 breakfasts per night with titanium status - but I don't know that that gives me 4 breakfasts per night - does it?
Old May 30, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
OP, I'd be worried about getting "booted out of my lifetime status".
Old May 30, 2019, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
At some hotels they give vouchers in which case I agree with you, but at most hotels in Europe, in my experience, you just give the room number and the computer automatically removes the breakfast charge... the other complication though, is that I don't think that I actually get 4 breakfasts do I? To be clear, I'm entitled to 2 breakfasts/night with corporate rate; and I'm entitled to 2 breakfasts per night with titanium status - but I don't know that that gives me 4 breakfasts per night - does it?
Can you give some examples of which hotels are giving breakfast to Titaniums, even though this is not a standard benefit of that elite tier? Or, are you using your amenity choice as "breakfast" instead of choosing another amenity? If that's the case, I do not understand why you would choose the breakfast amenity when your corporate rate already includes breakfast. Are you staying as a party of four in the room and want to have free breakfast for all of them???
Old May 30, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
You don’t get to double dip, period.
seawolf, Statman and dimon84 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
To be clear, I'm entitled to 2 breakfasts/night with corporate rate; and I'm entitled to 2 breakfasts per night with titanium status - but I don't know that that gives me 4 breakfasts per night - does it?
It doesn't - and somewhere in the T&Cs it addresses this situation. Bottom line - you can't have it both ways.

But back to the early morning check-in aspect of it. Whether paid or elite, if you show up at 6/7/8/9/10 am on day of arrival you're not entitled to free brekkie, regardless of how it's booked. If a property grants you access to the lounge or even to the restaurant, they're being nice. They're not required to do so.

Cheers.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It doesn't - and somewhere in the T&Cs it addresses this situation. Bottom line - you can't have it both ways.

But back to the early morning check-in aspect of it. Whether paid or elite, if you show up at 6/7/8/9/10 am on day of arrival you're not entitled to free brekkie, regardless of how it's booked. If a property grants you access to the lounge or even to the restaurant, they're being nice. They're not required to do so.

Cheers.
i apologize but I have to disagree. If a guest is in entitled to 2 free breakfast on a one night stay you are eligible to consume them on day of early arrival and no free breakfast on day of check out. Even the front desk agent laughing at the OP woul not refuse.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:59 pm

OP are you still in high school? Don't let them walk all over you. The next time you check in early at the hotel that laughed at you for a one night stay you consume 2 breakfast the morning of check in and 2 at check out and charge it all to your room as you mentioned if they do not use breakfast coupons.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:00 pm

I've never been refused this. Likewise I've never been refused to eat/drink in the executive lounge the evening following checkout. Many properties proactively offer these if you are arriving early or leaving late.

I don't really feel bad "getting an extra breakfast I'm not entitled to" considering I end up eating breakfast less than 50% of the time it's available and most times eat solo (claiming half of the breakfast I'm entitled). It all averages out, IMHO.
rickg523 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.