Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Thank you for your loyalty’ Gift Card Received via e-Mail

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Thank you for your loyalty’ Gift Card Received via e-Mail

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I did a search in my email and nothing. I am LTP/Titanium.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:06 pm

Tried to spend it at the Montreal Airport Sheraton.
Was told I could not - would take a couple of months to update the system.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
I tried to use mine at a Sheraton and the front desk person didn’t know how to apply it but said the managed could help. Manager told me it is good but days have passed and the stay not posted yet, let’s see. Marriott says to give 2 weeks to allow a stay to post (which is quite long) so we will see.

Given it is coded like an e-gift card with a number and a pin, I wonder why the hotels have a hard time with this? If I came with a regular Marriott gift card would it also be complicated for them?

It is a nice and appreciated gesture from Marriott, but some of the customer delight is impacted when it does not work smoothly.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by quinella66
Given it is coded like an e-gift card with a number and a pin, I wonder why the hotels have a hard time with this? If I came with a regular Marriott gift card would it also be complicated for them?
Yes! I used 2 gift cards at Melbourne Marriott and the staff knew exactly what to do. It took several minutes of tapping at the computer for each gift card to apply them.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by quinella66
I tried to use mine at a Sheraton and the front desk person didn’t know how to apply it but said the managed could help. Manager told me it is good but days have passed and the stay not posted yet, let’s see. Marriott says to give 2 weeks to allow a stay to post (which is quite long) so we will see.

It is a nice and appreciated gesture from Marriott, but some of the customer delight is impacted when it does not work smoothly.
I have numerous problems getting front desk clerks to apply regular gift cards to my folio as payment although those tend to be the FI/RI places. I haven't used one at a full serve property. The same goes for purchasing gift cards even at the FS marriott. They usually have to call a manager or lead over to help them with the transaction. (My wife and I buy them whenever there is an amex offer we won't be using before it expires)

On topic I didn't received an email with a gift card.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kklems
I have numerous problems getting front desk clerks to apply regular gift cards to my folio as payment although those tend to be the FI/RI places. I haven't used one at a full serve property. The same goes for purchasing gift cards even at the FS marriott. They usually have to call a manager or lead over to help them with the transaction. (My wife and I buy them whenever there is an amex offer we won't be using before it expires)

On topic I didn't received an email with a gift card.
I had no problem using an ancient physical Marriott GC that would not swipe, at Fairfield Inn JFK. The FDC KNEW how to process when I told her it required manual entry. There is a screen in the system they need to get to and once they are at that screen, all the boxes are very clearly marked as what needed to enter (card number and the PIN).
Physical GC should be very easy to process with the swipe method. Recently I bought a physical GC at a local Renaissance using AMEX Offer, and yes, the front desk needs to call a manager to handle the sale.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:47 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
To avoid disappointment at check-out, offer the gift card at check-in and ask that they apply it to the folio. This will give the FDA flexibility in figuring it out instead of coming up with some harried, BS excuse as to why it cannot be applied. YMMV (b/c @nacho).
Happy likes this.

Last edited by uxb; Jun 12, 2019 at 6:48 pm
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
LTT and 42 nights YTD. No email, no gift card.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by naumank
I did a search in my email and nothing. I am LTP/Titanium.
Same here. I'm a titanium, so it's definitely targeted.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Tried to use it at a Le Meridien in Germany....FD had no idea of how to process it....
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by uxb
To avoid disappointment at check-out, offer the gift card at check-in and ask that they apply it to the folio. This will give the FDA flexibility in figuring it out instead of coming up with some harried, BS excuse as to why it cannot be applied.
It won't work if you check in Friday evening and checking out before Monday noon in Europe. FDC have no idea how to process it because they aren't trained to do it. Their excuse is that so few people use these gift cards so there's no need to teach everyone how to handle it.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:47 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by nacho
It won't work if you check in Friday evening and checking out before Monday noon in Europe. FDC have no idea how to process it because they aren't trained to do it. Their excuse is that so few people use these gift cards so there's no need to teach everyone how to handle it.
Okay, I'll edit my post to say, YMMV.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
To avoid disappointment at check-out, offer the gift card at check-in and ask that they apply it to the folio. This will give the FDA flexibility in figuring it out instead of coming up with some harried, BS excuse as to why it cannot be applied. YMMV (b/c @nacho).
Doesn’t always work. During my April stay at Sheraton Hyde Park, I gave them my gift cards 2 days before check out. They couldn’t figure it out. I went back in May and Duty Mgr assured me before arrival that they had it worked out. No such luck. A week after I checked out, they still hadn’t processed the cards or closed out my folio, so I suggested they charge my credit card and waive the cc fee which they happily did. Sheraton Grand Mirage Gold Coast took 2 weeks to process my gift cards, but they finally figured it out.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:58 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Doesn’t always work. During my April stay at Sheraton Hyde Park, I gave them my gift cards 2 days before check out. They couldn’t figure it out. I went back in May and Duty Mgr assured me before arrival that they had it worked out. No such luck. A week after I checked out, they still hadn’t processed the cards or closed out my folio, so I suggested they charge my credit card and waive the cc fee which they happily did. Sheraton Grand Mirage Gold Coast took 2 weeks to process my gift cards, but they finally figured it out.
Good ol’ Port Douglas. Did they enhance the 1980s decor yet? 😹
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb

Good ol’ Port Douglas. Did they enhance the 1980s decor yet? 😹
I was at Gold Coast, not Port Douglas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.