Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Would you take Bonvoy Points over money? Seriously?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you take Bonvoy Points over money? Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
In general, for your major spending, you should use cards that have transferable points (sapphire/reserve, Amex MR,etc) rather than getting pinned down to one loyalty program. You have a tremendous annual spend which could be put to far better use and value of your points.

speaking of Paris, my family of 4 are just finishing our vacation here, purely funded by points through sapphire. 4 one way business class tickets through United (at least 10K$ value) and 2 connecting rooms at park Hyatt for 3 nights (approx 6000$) using a total of 420,000 points. Roughly 4c/point value.
Adelphos likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion
When a Bonvoy Ritz property in Santa Barbara California wants $250 cash additional for Club Room access I am more than a little angry at the new program
Before the merger did the Ritz property charge less for a club room or was it a case of you could pay with extra points and you no longer can?

My understanding was Ritz never gave club access and as a SPG person I never had access to Ritz Club anyway so no worse off but I can understand frustration if you are Marriott and you now get less than you did?
Old May 29, 2019, 3:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I think a lot of this relates to Marriott reducing the US credit card benefits - in terms of earning but also club upgrades with the RC card.

Definitely a major issue for those involved, but for those of us not in the US or who mainly get points by staying at hotels on balance a net positive.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Also likely referring to Marriott being unable to reign in key brands on standardized Bonvoy benefits (SNAs, breakfast, etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.