Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Does every W hotel have the worst service out of all the Marriott brands?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does every W hotel have the worst service out of all the Marriott brands?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The rooms are pretty small, especially when you consider that you can usually be in a large room at the Ritz Carlton for a lot less But it's the W Barcelona - the creators of the brand have been able to create something which at its best definitely has the wow factor.
Ah nice facts about the creators are behind W Barcelona! W Barcelona has been on my bucket list for many years so I just need to "do it" before the hotel gets too old.
Just double checked which room I reserved and it turned out to be Fabulous with 40 sqm. Used to 25-30 sqm in my regular rooms at other hotels so perhaps it's one of the better rooms then? Perhaps I can score an upgrade to one of the suites...

Last edited by joakgarp; May 31, 2019 at 3:27 am
Old May 31, 2019, 3:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Ah nice facts about the creators are behind W Barcelona! W Barcelona has been on my bucket list for many years so I just need to "do it" before the hotel gets too old.
Just double checked which room I reserved and it turned out to be Fabulous with 40 sqm. Used to 25-30 sqm in my regular rooms at other hotels so perhaps it's one of the better rooms then?
The W is one of the earlyish W icons, but I didn't mean to claim that the original brand team were behind it. Clearly the architecture, pool, club and coolness all come from an idea hatched a long time before.

On W rooms, all the non-suite rooms are basically the same, but have different names based on their view. When you're in the room it doesn't feel very large, but the view is always impressive and it's certainly big enough. The Junior Suites and most other rooms are around towards the back which I actually think is less impressive. Short of the W suites, I think the Fabulous is actually a good room type to go with - you get the beach view which is cool (though a bit loud unless you're very high up).
joakgarp likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by kaizen7
I believe Marriott did positioned W brand along those StR RC and LuxCol (and some of W have price to match those hotel)

As for the W brand itself ..... I would say the closest competitor outside Marriott universe for W will be Sofitel SO (not sure if Hyatt and Hilton have similar style)
Luxury yet funky and also cool and hip but not display too much aristocratic luxury like StR and less formal .... doubt the dtaff will be saying "my pleasure" that often
I would point to the Ace as being in a similar market to W (young, affluent clientele willing to pay a premium for a “hip” experience in lieu of traditional luxury). But Ace is more affluent indie rocker and W is more affluent club goer.

I’ve also always thought of Aloft as a budget version of the W. I generally dislike both brands, preferring a more traditional luxury experience for personal stays and more business oriented hotels for professional stays. But I’m glad the options exist for those who want different things.
JBord and joakgarp like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by acrophobia

I’ve also always thought of Aloft as a budget version of the W.
So did or does SPG / Marriott, believe it is still the case that Aloft is marketed as "a vision of W Hotels". Both target a younger demographic and one who cares more about design than 'traditional' notions of what a hotel is. Very distinct segments of the market, however. Ace Hotels I would put somewhere between the two - targeting a level above an Aloft but well below a W.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
So did or does SPG / Marriott, believe it is still the case that Aloft is marketed as "a vision of W Hotels". Both target a younger demographic and one who cares more about design than 'traditional' notions of what a hotel is. Very distinct segments of the market, however. Ace Hotels I would put somewhere between the two - targeting a level above an Aloft but well below a W.
In my experience, the Ace is not “well below” the W in terms of cost. On a few occasions I’ve had to stay at the property in downtown LA (despite the fact I’d rather pay someone to kick me in the groin), and it was $500-$600/night. These were all February stays where I bent to the will of friends my wife and I traveled with.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:43 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
W Hotels were the brainchild and passion project of Barry Sternlicht back in 1998. Sternlicht is an innovator and visionary. (Some say mad genius) At the time, the concept of a boutique hotel was still pretty novel. So many hotels were cookie-cutter and boring. W's focused on design and whimsy but maintained brand standards like ultra comfortable beds (believe it or not the concept of a super comfortable bed was actually revolutionary at the time- the Heavenly Bed was also Sternlicht's invention) They also included good restaurants and bars and had great locations.

We stayed at our first W (the Union Square) a few years later, right after it opened and immediately fell in love. Even 20 years ago we were probably a little older than their target demographics, but we enjoyed the younger, enthusiastic staff and the fun atmosphere. (and the beds-- always the beds)

I have read that W's were not originally planned to be "luxury hotels" but that they have evolved in that direction. Aside from the sometimes "too hip" vibe, I think the W Hotel's greatest flaw is the wide discrepancy in room types and terribly misleading room names. Even after all of these years I need to carefully study the room descriptions to make certain we get the right room type.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by damon88
We stayed at our first W (the Union Square) a few years later, right after it opened and immediately fell in love. Even 20 years ago we were probably a little older than their target demographics, but we enjoyed the younger, enthusiastic staff and the fun atmosphere. (and the beds-- always the beds)
My first W stay was at the W NYC (midtown east) shortly after it opened. The bar was the hottest thing in town. First time I ever paid $20 for a cocktail. It was lots of fun. I didn't even mind the room was the size of a large closet.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by acrophobia
On a few occasions I’ve had to stay at the property in downtown LA (despite the fact I’d rather pay someone to kick me in the groin), and it was $500-$600/night.
You could probably get someone to kick you for much less than that; but then, of course, you wouldn't earn any points for the spend, let alone stay or night credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.