Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Does every W hotel have the worst service out of all the Marriott brands?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does every W hotel have the worst service out of all the Marriott brands?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Oh my, this thread...

You can't paint an entire brand with a broad brush, nor it's clientele. W Bali is sensational, but won't have an entirely hip/cool crowd like a W in NYC may (or may not) have. W London (Leicester Sq) was a disaster when it opened; they changed some of their staff and processes and my last couple of stays have been fantastic. Hotels can deteriorate too based on maintenance, management, staff, whether you get an upgrade, etc.

Some of my best 'Bonvoy' stays have been at W's. I see tripadvisor reviews about how terrible see-through showers are, or having a 'bouncer' out the front of a W, music in the elevators being too loud, etc, etc. Do your research and dodge the brand; there are dozens of others to choose from.
myperks, bhrubin and JBord like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Sorry to hear a couple of you have had poor experiences at the Scottsdale property. I should have qualified that I’ve only stayed there twice for 1-2 nights each; both times I was upgraded to massive rooms and treated well. I’m heading out there again in a few months; will likely book the Phoenician instead this time.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by acrophobia
Sorry to hear a couple of you have had poor experiences at the Scottsdale property. I should have qualified that I’ve only stayed there twice for 1-2 nights each; both times I was upgraded to massive rooms and treated well. I’m heading out there again in a few months; will likely book the Phoenician instead this time.
I've said it elsewhere, but if possible, book the Canyon Suites on the same resort campus as the Phoenician.
acrophobia likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by acrophobia
My stays there have also been 1-2 nights. I like the location, the building, the bar scene, and the pool. I need to be right in that area for work two.

But, the reviews are telling -- many low scores from top tier elites with comments such as "Loyalty doesn't matter," "This hotel caters more to the "Day Club" clientele than to their hotel guests,":. You can see these reviews are from folks who are SPG loyalists. Only 69 percent of Plat and above recommend the hotel. In comparison, the Marriott Old Town Suites, which is purportedly a step down from a W, has reviews with Plats/Titaniums/Ambassador almost all giving it a 4 or a 5. 94 percent of Plat and above recommend that hotel. You can also compare to the W Punta Mita where 90 percent of Plat and above recommend the property.

Still, I've come back couple of times and they have a new GM who I hope will get things on track. On the other hand, on my last stay, I went with the Phoenician as its just five minute ride away. It was actually $2 a night cheaper and had the full buffet rather than just a card of a few choices (which is actually an improvement under the new GM)
Old May 29, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Occam’s Razor. A BMW is $60k. A Kia is $30k. Which car shopping consumer buying former vs latter, dollars to donuts, is higher income? It’s not that complicated.
Originally Posted by JBord
Again, you're stating an observation that applies some of the time as if it were fact. I know plenty, plenty, plenty of people who buy BMWs that can not afford them and should not own them. I'm sure you do too. I know some millionaires that drive around in 14 year old Honda's. ... So your condescending statement "it's not that complicated" is actually totally wrong.
No it's not. On average, UA-NYC's statement is valid. Of course there are exceptions, -- lower income people who save for years to splurge on a suite at StR for their 50th anniversary. And plenty of wealthier people see suites in nice hotels as a complete waste of money and wouldn't even consider such an extravagant purchase. However, on average, I believe that UA-NYC is exactly right.

But data is also not the plural of anedcotes.
A key concept.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
And there always will be outliers that are not good representatives of their brand.
When I was checking in to the W HKG, the young and obviously cooler than me FDC made it quite clear that she thought that I was neither young enough nor cool enough to stay there. Probably the most unpleasant and unwelcoming checkin experience of my life.

Hey, it's a puzzle to me why anyone would want to stay at an RC...
I used to stay for a week every year at the Ritz Carlton Beach Resort in APF. What a wonderful hotel, from hard product to staff. I probably went for six or so consecutive years, and everything was always perfect.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Short answer, yes, this brand is usually a letdown.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Service at W Shanghai was fantastic when I stayed there. Can't speak for Nth America or EU branches though.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
I also prefer the W approach to the fake servility you will often encounter at RCs (especially) and StR. Just tacking "sir" on the end of every sentence does not convert poor service to good service. That said I find W's branding, which often involves replacing perfectly appropriate descriptors with nonsense words that tell you absolutely nothing about the product or service being offered.
Too true. I remember my first stay at a W (HK). I remember being impressed when the GM came out to meet me at check-in and said they had prepared a "wonderful room" for me as a Plat, only for me to realise that this was actually the worst kind of room the hotel offered.

The breakfast was great though.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Only bad service I had was at the W Minneapolis when they closed my portfolio out almost 24 hours before I checked out and I needed to move some hotel charges to a personal card. They couldn't do it because I was already closed out and it took a GM plus a call to Marriott to get it all sorted. But the stay itself was pretty fantastic even though I can't see anything when walking through that Lobby.

Other than that, no issues with a W.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm at W Koh Samui right now and the service is outstanding.
C17PSGR and seanp7 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:54 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Too true. I remember my first stay at a W (HK). I remember being impressed when the GM came out to meet me at check-in and said they had prepared a "wonderful room" for me as a Plat, only for me to realise that this was actually the worst kind of room the hotel offered.

The breakfast was great though.
But, all their rooms are "wonderful".
Old May 31, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yurtripper
And even the Wow rooms can be, "Wow, I can't believe how much I'm paying for this."
joakgarp likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
And even the Wow rooms can be, "Wow, I can't believe how much I'm paying for this."
LOL so true. Up coming 400€/night end of june for thee nights with W Barcelona. That's brg rate. Regular is +500€/night lol. I just know I'll say this when I enter my room "Wow, I can't believe how much I'm paying for this.".
Old May 31, 2019, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Wow that must mean there are 8, even 10, people cramming into the room at one time, up from the standard 6. Might as well just set up their call center in the room.
yurtripper likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:11 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by joakgarp
LOL so true. Up coming 400€/night end of june for thee nights with W Barcelona. That's brg rate. Regular is +500€/night lol. I just know I'll say this when I enter my room "Wow, I can't believe how much I'm paying for this.".
The rooms are pretty small, especially when you consider that you can usually be in a large room at the Ritz Carlton for a lot less But it's the W Barcelona - the creators of the brand have been able to create something which at its best definitely has the wow factor.
UA-NYC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.