Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Does every W hotel have the worst service out of all the Marriott brands?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does every W hotel have the worst service out of all the Marriott brands?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond and MM, UA 1K, Marriott LTT
Sounds like Asia is the exception with good service.

I now have to go down and stand in line for the valet service since you cannot call down and request your car. It is first come first serve at the valet boot .

Hmm . Not top notch service. My experience has been we will get to you whenever we feel like it.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:26 am

It sounds like your service needs are more in line with what is usually offered at a traditional business hotel. As other have noted, the W brand is more about being avant garde and sort of hip than about being service oriented. I would suggest a JW, RC, StR, etc for your purposes (and I generally fall into your camp in terms of what is important to me).
Old May 26, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
One issue with Ws is they often attract a crowd who wants to sneak six people into a room with a cooler. Also, the bar revenue can be more important than guests. I've had good luck this year but it may be that I complained in the past about the pool area being so full of day bar hoppers that there was no room for hotel guests.
Transpacificflyer and JBord like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
In my experience W’s target market is the freshly minted MBA consultant type with a few tech bros thrown in for fun (and don’t forget the travel bloggers!). The level of service seems justified for their targets. They focus more on providing an Instagramable experience than any service. Gotta boost their customer likes!

Stay at a real Marriott or Westin if you want better service.
Very well said. Targeted niche demographics, using outdated inaccurate market assumptions: The bane of frequent travelers.
Unfortunately, Marriott is not alone on this, as the worst offender has to be Accor. Hilton has at least tried to more realistically differentiate its brands. What I do not understand about W is that its room rates are relatively high compared to similarly targeted competitor brands and it promotes itself as being fresh, modern, hip, blah, blah blah. And yet, guests are increasingly reporting negative experiences. (Similar to Accor's Pullman brand). As you say and how I am sure everyone was nodding in agreement, if one wants decent service, opt for a real Marriott or Westin.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Very well said. Targeted niche demographics, using outdated inaccurate market assumptions: The bane of frequent travelers.
Unfortunately, Marriott is not alone on this, as the worst offender has to be Accor. Hilton has at least tried to more realistically differentiate its brands. What I do not understand about W is that its room rates are relatively high compared to similarly targeted competitor brands and it promotes itself as being fresh, modern, hip, blah, blah blah. And yet, guests are increasingly reporting negative experiences. (Similar to Accor's Pullman brand). As you say and how I am sure everyone was nodding in agreement, if one wants decent service, opt for a real Marriott or Westin.
well, the rates aren't that high if there are six people in the room!

I'm not sure the target market is newly minted mba types. I think the target market is probably older and wealthier then that.

I suspect the average or median income of a w guest is less than that of a courtyard guest. I suspect they also have a lower percentage of titanium or Ambassador guests than other hotels in the Marriott portfolio, in part because of the inconsistent service. But again, as I was near the W Scottsdale recently, it was obvious they are making serious bar Revenue!
Old May 26, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Marriott 2016 Annual Report

2016 (North America)
W ADR - $294
CY ADR - $141

#IntellectualDishonesty
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:59 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Marriott 2016 Annual Report

2016 (North America)
W ADR - $294
CY ADR - $141

#IntellectualDishonesty
How is that Intellectual Dishonesty?
Old May 26, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Trying to creatively suggest W guests are lower income than CY ones. I mean, GMAB
Old May 26, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Trying to creatively suggest W guests are lower income than CY ones. I mean, GMAB
????

The Average rate is higher for a W than a CY. What is controversial about that?
C17PSGR likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good lord... read a few posts up.
3rdworldresident and bhrubin like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good lord... read a few posts up.

FT has quote feature. It is for this exact purpose.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:34 pm

Never said the room rates are lower at a CY. Among other things, if one was being intellectually honest, one would take into account the location.

The difference is the W room rate is often being divided up by several people who dont regularly travel so comparing the room rate in selected large metro areas to a CYs across the country says nothing about income.

For those who like Hyatt's, I'm confident that the average or median income of Hyatt guests is far higher than that of W guests as well.

I like Ws but I'm surprised anyone would debate they often attract a trashy crowd who cant really afford to stay there.

Last edited by C17PSGR; May 26, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Old May 26, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I like Ws but I'm surprised anyone would debate they often attract a trashy crowd who cant really afford to stay there.
Not the vibe I have ever gotten, granted, I have typically stayed only during the week. It is a bunch of 30 odd year olds like MBAs and consultants, some of them being the frat-bro type.

Personally, I find RCs to far worse in that regard. Not necessarily a bunch of party types, but large families who scream between rooms and do not know how to behave.
Old May 26, 2019, 4:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Never said the room rates are lower at a CY. Among other things, if one was being intellectually honest, one would take into account the location.

The difference is the W room rate is often being divided up by several people who dont regularly travel so comparing the room rate in selected large metro areas to a CYs across the country says nothing about income.

For those who like Hyatt's, I'm confident that the average or median income of Hyatt guests is far higher than that of W guests as well.

I suspect you might have a slightly skewed perspective of W’s. Has your experience basically been Austin and Vegas? While I do recognise your description on the margin for some hotels, I don’t think it’s in any way accurate for the vast, vast majority of stays. As others have indicated, your model W guest will probably be in their 20s and 30s and work in professional services or media in a tier 1 or tier 2 city... and I would think would earn significantly more than an average Courtyard guest, though never having stayed at one (vs. 20+ W’s) I am obviously speculating somewhat.
UA-NYC and 3rdworldresident like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I suspect you might have a slightly skewed perspective of W’s. Has your experience basically been Austin and Vegas? While I do recognise your description on the margin for some hotels, I don’t think it’s in any way accurate for the vast, vast majority of stays. As others have indicated, your model W guest will probably be in their 20s and 30s and work in professional services or media in a tier 1 or tier 2 city... and I would think would earn significantly more than an average Courtyard guest, though never having stayed at one (vs. 20+ W’s) I am obviously speculating somewhat.
That's my observation as well. Miami would be another example of an exception city.

I also think it's a bit challenging to talk about a single CY demographic, because much depends on whether you're talking about a CY in locations where there is no alternate FS property (which will attract guests who are not price sensitive), or places where the CY is a lower cost alternative to FS properties (where you will get a lower income demographic).
JBord likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.