Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Does every W hotel have the worst service out of all the Marriott brands?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does every W hotel have the worst service out of all the Marriott brands?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 12:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I can’t think of a single W anywhere in the world that has had good customer service or that i’ve left thinking “well that was a pleasure, i’d like to stay here again next time i’m in this city!” Awful hotels. Often inexplicably high prices too, as you’re getting a 4 star at best experience that is dressed up in cheap, sleek furnishings that people think make it nice. You can usually stay at an actual luxury hotel for the same or less $. For example hilariously enough the horrible W Barcelona is usually priced around the same as the magnificent Hotel Arts.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
W Istanbul has fabulous service which we did recently - but haven't been happy with service at any other W including LA, HK and Seoul when it was still around. I loved the vibe when in my 20s and didn't care about service but the mix of subpar service and vibe has made me forgo going to Ws for a while.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Clearly this is a question whose answer is “no”, but the W’s in the US and Atlanta in general struggle between wanting to be both cheap and cool, often failing at either or both.
I thought that Aloft was the cool and cheap brand.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
My first W experience was in Panama City. I was upgraded pre-arrival to a Marvelous Suite on a basic room, $148 AAA rate, had breakfast in the restaurant and impeccable service. I was impressed and enjoyed the "vibe" despite having 36 years experience being 20.

Subsequently, I stayed at the W Santiago, also upgraded to a suite and found the service to be excellent there too.

Perhaps things are different in Central/South America.

James
strickerj likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:38 am

Depends on the property. Asia seems to generally excel with Ws; I've had great experience at W HK, W BKK, W Guangzhou. W Taipei's soft product is one of the best I have ever experienced, anywhere. On the other hand, I spent a month at the W Atlanta - Midtown a few years ago and will never, ever return to that property. There are many factors involved -- local/cultural service expectations, the GM who's running the show at the time, and so on.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:33 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
W HKG service is exceptional. USM, BCN and others I have tried were meh service wise. I've stopped frequenting the chain.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:38 am
Suspended

I’ll unfortunately be visiting the W Chicago as I am going with some friends and we agreed to all stay at the same hotel, but as soon as they return home i’m moving elsewhere for the last night of my stay. I now avoid the brand whenever possible. It’s all style, no substance and generally they have poorly trained, useless or just indifferent staff.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I’ll unfortunately be visiting the W Chicago as I am going with some friends and we agreed to all stay at the same hotel, but as soon as they return home i’m moving elsewhere for the last night of my stay. I now avoid the brand whenever possible. It’s all style, no substance and generally they have poorly trained, useless or just indifferent staff.
Lakeshore or City Center? I guess either way I agree with you and OP - poor service for the caliber of hotel it purports to be.

The one thing I do like about W is the toiletries, namely the liquid face soap.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by davie355
Lakeshore or City Center? I guess either way I agree with you and OP - poor service for the caliber of hotel it purports to be.

The one thing I do like about W is the toiletries, namely the liquid face soap.
City Center
Old May 26, 2019, 5:28 am

I stayed at one recently and the service was excellent, nice room, nice employees, can’t ask for much more.
Old May 26, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
The general answer is no. I’ve stayed at both W Chicago properties and service was bad at both. Stayed at the W Hong Kong - and it was near perfection. Highly recommend that location.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:25 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
While Westins tend to be more my speed than the W chain, I've had perfectly nice service at both US W properties I've visited: DC and Seattle.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I felt service at W San Francisco was much better than the JW, which was awful. Stayed at W Westwood last week. Front desk was bad, but everything else was outstanding.

So disagree with the premise of this thread. You can get bad service at any of the Marriott/SPG brands.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I dislike W, but not for reasons of service.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Originally Posted by mrboom
Trying to get my room at the W in Atlanta. I had requested an early check in, but I know there is no guarantee. Would be nice if they at least had the room ready by standard check in time. Nope.

Had the same issues in Barcelona and New York recently.

My lifetime titanium elite with Ambassador pro whatever means nothing when checking in to the W brand.
I would wonder what type of room you booked and if you were upgraded? I was recently seven weeks in China and if I wanted a nice room or suite, nine times out of ten It would be after 4 pm to get that room. Understandable really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.