W Hotel broke my laptop...

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 22, 19, 2:57 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Wiki Link
The property dropped the backpack w/ laptop in it (bad property). The OP had liquid in the backpack (bad OP). The property pro-actively reached out to the OP & offered to reimburse laptop replacement (good property). The OP wants to know if he can get more compensation (up for debate).
Print Wikipost

Old May 21, 19, 11:08 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Programs: krisflyer
Posts: 43
W Hotel broke my laptop...

Long story short, they damaged my laptop and it's in a pretty bad shape. They were very apologetic about it and offered a hotel transfer to the airport and to compensate for the damage.

Should I be expecting more? Friends said they should comp the nights or some points...
makrxx is offline  
Old May 21, 19, 11:50 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 2,562
Originally Posted by makrxx View Post
Long story short, they damaged my laptop and it's in a pretty bad shape. They were very apologetic about it and offered a hotel transfer to the airport and to compensate for the damage.

Should I be expecting more? Friends said they should comp the nights or some points...
At the very least pay for a new laptop... comping the night should be a good goodwill gesture.
bbbb and eric.chen3742 like this.
myperks is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 1:39 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Posts: 2,414
Originally Posted by makrxx View Post
Long story short, they damaged my laptop and it's in a pretty bad shape. They were very apologetic about it and offered a hotel transfer to the airport and to compensate for the damage.

Should I be expecting more? Friends said they should comp the nights or some points...
I, for one, don't accept the "long story short" evasiveness of this post. Without some crucial facts, nobody's opinion is of any value. And even then,.......
clublounger is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 1:45 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LHR/SFO
Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Posts: 16,100
Originally Posted by clublounger View Post
I, for one, don't accept the "long story short" evasiveness of this post. Without some crucial facts, nobody's opinion is of any value. And even then,.......
With you on that. Doesn't make any sense at all. More details required.
satman40 and nancypants like this.
Silver Fox is online now  
Old May 22, 19, 1:47 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Programs: krisflyer
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by clublounger View Post
I, for one, don't accept the "long story short" evasiveness of this post. Without some crucial facts, nobody's opinion is of any value. And even then,.......
They dropped my backpack, which had a glass bottle and it broke. Ruining my laptop with pretty bad liquid damage with it ‘beyond economical repair’ as stated by the service centre. Hope that’s sufficient for you.
makrxx is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 1:50 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LHR/SFO
Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Posts: 16,100
Originally Posted by makrxx View Post

They dropped my backpack, which had a glass bottle and it broke. Ruining my laptop with pretty bad liquid damage with it ‘beyond economical repair’ as stated by the service centre. Hope that’s sufficient for you.
At the minimum a new laptop.
eric.chen3742 and miklcct like this.
Silver Fox is online now  
Old May 22, 19, 2:02 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Posts: 2,414
My backpack with my computer in it stays on MY back. Nobody else handles it. I don't keep a glass bottle with liquid in the same backpack as my computer, either. Or any bottle with liquids. Too many things could go wrong. I'm not prone to placing all the blame on the hotel in a situation like this. Lucky you if they are willing to pay for repairs.
estnet, EricH, cawhite and 19 others like this.
clublounger is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 2:08 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NUQ
Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP
Posts: 4,001
@clublounger those may be prudent tips for the future, but as it stands, the hotel owes OP a new laptop.

Hotel management should also ask OP how much he tipped the porter, and refund that tip (from the hotel's account - not the porter's pocket).
davie355 is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 3:44 am
  #9  
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Posts: 309
Originally Posted by makrxx View Post
Long story short, they damaged my laptop and it's in a pretty bad shape. They were very apologetic about it and offered a hotel transfer to the airport and to compensate for the damage.

Should I be expecting more? Friends said they should comp the nights or some points...
Hi makrxx,

We are sorry to learn that your laptop was damaged.

We would like to help follow up with the hotel if you could provide your reservation details to us via private mail here or by email below.

Best Regards,

Christina Zhou
Specialist, Social Media
Marriott International

marriott.bonvoychamp[email protected]
Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II is online now  
Old May 22, 19, 4:49 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Italy
Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Alitalia CFA, Emirates/Oman air Silver
Posts: 1,138
Things happen ...

good for you if you can get a new one by them.

Said that, my laptop travel always in my hand bag and my hand bag travel always with me, from my house to destination and come in my room with me.

Dav77 is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 4:58 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto vicinity
Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Posts: 12,656
Originally Posted by clublounger View Post
My backpack with my computer in it stays on MY back. Nobody else handles it. I don't keep a glass bottle with liquid in the same backpack as my computer, either. Or any bottle with liquids. Too many things could go wrong. I'm not prone to placing all the blame on the hotel in a situation like this. Lucky you if they are willing to pay for repairs.
Who’s to say that dropping the backpack wouldn’t have broken the laptop even without a bottle in there?
margarita girl is online now  
Old May 22, 19, 6:05 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Posts: 2,414
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post


Who’s to say that dropping the backpack wouldn’t have broken the laptop even without a bottle in there?
Nobody. You're point being?

A million things could go wrong. And if you read the OP's situation fully, you'd see that the laptop wasn't actually broken. It was ruined by an unnamed liquid.

Poor decisions were made at several turns by the OP.
clublounger is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 6:09 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 11,305
Originally Posted by makrxx View Post
.....Should I be expecting more? Friends said they should comp the nights or some points...
Originally Posted by clublounger View Post
.........Poor decisions were made at several turns by the OP.
OP seems to have taken some responsibilities and is happy with comped nights instead of a new laptop.
TerryK is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 6:20 am
  #14  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Englandshire
Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Posts: 11,998
Originally Posted by makrxx View Post
They dropped my backpack
Probably depends on this detail.

Backpack properly dropped by the hotel vs the (inadvisable, in retrospect) liquid-filled-glass-bottle-in-a-backpack-with-a-laptop combo being just knocked in the course of normal luggage handling.
TerryK and kalo93406 like this.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; May 22, 19 at 6:25 am
Oxon Flyer is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 6:40 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Programs: krisflyer
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
Probably depends on this detail.

Backpack properly dropped by the hotel vs the (inadvisable, in retrospect) liquid-filled-glass-bottle-in-a-backpack-with-a-laptop combo being just knocked in the course of normal luggage handling.
I’m not sure how they dropped it. It was in the care of the conceirge and I got an email from them while I was out saying they dropped it, laptop broke and all wet etc. Besides the ‘significant liquid damage’, the entire hinge of my laptop was dislodged as well.

Point noted on keeping liquids separate from my laptop going forward. But I think in this instance it is entirely my perogative and frankly nothing to do with whether they should compensate me or not.
makrxx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: