Old May 22, 2019, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
The property dropped the backpack w/ laptop in it (bad property). The OP had liquid in the backpack (bad OP). The property pro-actively reached out to the OP & offered to reimburse laptop replacement (good property). The OP wants to know if he can get more compensation (up for debate).
Print Wikipost

W Hotel broke my laptop...

Old May 22, 2019, 11:35 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
<modhat>First, let’s stop blaming the OP. We have rules about not making things personal. Enough.</modhat>

The drop was substantial enough that even without the liquid the hinges were damaged. Unless the liquid was hinge-eating acid, the liquid is really not the point. Had the hinge not been broken the water damage perhaps could have left it in a recoverable state.

If the property were taking a stance that they are not liable than I would say if it were only water, fair. But the substantial force that would break the hinge means it was no simple nudge or drop. The basic beginning is that they should make him whole and replace the laptop with an equivalent laptop or cash for the value of an equivalent laptop. This leads to a question about whether the laptop is personal or company property. A company would likely be unable to accept a random laptop and would need to procure themselves. I don’t know how they would deal with the check.

Beyond that, the property has caused a situation where the OP has to deal with the replacement of the laptop, restoring the data and applications, etc. This is a personal hassle that the OP should not have to experience. This is a significant time sink and there may also be a hit to productivity at work while this is resolved. As such, the property should provide compensation to the OP. Enough points for a free night at the same category of their property would be reasonable IMO.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Antarius
my guess would be that it was hung on one of those luggage trolleys that the bell desk uses and fell. That would be a 5 or so foot drop, which could cause something like this.
I thought that OP said that it was in the care/custody of the concierge.

Originally Posted by yosithezet
As such, the property should provide compensation to the OP. Enough points for a free night at the same category of their property would be reasonable IMO.
This is a great idea, -- relatively cost-free out for the hotel, yet the OP still can get some nice value.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
I am surprised at posters on this thread saying that they carry around sensitive information on laptops that they are worried about being stolen. Where I work we all have encrypted drives and two-factor authentication to open the encrypted drives. It seems negligent on your (or your employers) part to not have these kinds of safeguards. The need to carry around on, your person, equipment at all times is a silly solution.
Agreed that using physical device security as a sole strategy is both silly and negligent. Who said we don't ALSO have other safeguards?

My laptop has an encrypted drive with a pre-boot password, and my laptop is powered down for travel (not simply put into hibernation so it doesn't open to a Windows login screen). 2FA is used for all my corporate logins and my personal email.

Those security measures don't mean that we get to completely ignore physical device security as a strategy as well. Security is a layered approach, and physical access to hardware is a hacker's best friend despite any other layered strategies.

Not to mention, I also have numerous personal effects (including my passport, an emergency credit card, and cash stashed) in the bag that I can't encrypt or use 2FA to protect.

So don't come around here with your silly (your word) negligence (your word) accusations based on your incorrect assumptions about what my employer does, and does not do, with regards to security.

Originally Posted by Kacee
You shouldn't be keeping that (ed: "trade secrets") on a laptop, and if your company allows it, they need to revisit their security policies.
It is literally impossible for me to do my job without that information available to me in the field. You cannot possibly have known that when you posted, but now you do.

Much of the information I use and data I generate in the field are company trade secrets by their nature. Some of that data is sales-related (who wouldn't want a list of customers I have serviced?) and some is technical in nature.

I don't carry the formula to Coca-Cola (or our products) on my laptop, as that's falls outside of a "need-to-know" scope of my job. I'm also not an entry-level employee, and my role involves understanding and acceptance of the significant responsibility towards data protection inherent to the role.

Again, a good security policy is a layered approach that mitigates as much risk as possible without preventing the job function from being performed. In this case, the risk of having sensitive data in the field is balanced by a well-developed multi-layered security policy that takes into account the need of the employee's role to handle and responsibility to protect such data.
EdofFX likes this.

Last edited by pa3lsvt; May 23, 2019 at 8:08 am Reason: added second quote/response
Old May 23, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
If one is giving a bag to others to manage it should be packed in such a way that it could take a minor drop with the contents surviving. As such, the OP failed to pack the bag such that it could withstand a drop. It is not like the bag dropped off a cart and was run over. It simply was dropped. As such, the hotel's offer is more than enough.
Originally Posted by davie355
Completely disagree, most laptop bags are not drop-proof. You are expected to set it down on a surface (table or floor) gently.

And who judged that the drop was "minor"?
Re-read my post. I never mentioned a laptop bag. I specially said If one is giving a bag to others to manage it should be packed in such a way that it could take a minor drop with the contents surviving. I would not give my laptop bag to the concierge or anyone else to manage. When I have given a bag containing a laptop it is packed in such a way that it could survive a minor drop such as off a baggage cart.

Further, no one has judged the that the drop was "minor." Again re-read my post, the OP failed to pack the bag such that it could withstand a drop.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:14 pm

Further, no one has judged the that the drop was "minor." Again re-read my post ...
Okay, hang on let me pull it up.

... a minor drop ...
Hmmm.........
Old May 23, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by davie355
Okay, hang on let me pull it up.

Hmmm.........
Keep trying but your posts show a complete lack of reading comprehension. For your edification, the statement I made about a "minor drop" was in reference to how one should pack a bag, that is not a judgement on the drop that OP's bag took. Sheesh

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; May 24, 2019 at 10:09 am
Old May 24, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Its not just the laptop but possibly data extraction from a hard drive; that would double the cost.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
I am surprised at posters on this thread saying that they carry around sensitive information on laptops that they are worried about being stolen. Where I work we all have encrypted drives and two-factor authentication to open the encrypted drives. It seems negligent on your (or your employers) part to not have these kinds of safeguards. The need to carry around on, your person, equipment at all times is a silly solution.
I'm not an IT expert, or even better than average. We have that stuff for drives on the company's system. But I don't believe it's on my local laptop c drive. And I'm often in locations where I can't get connected to the VPN, including some rooms where I can't even get a cell signal to use as a hotspot.

It's not like it's personal information or anything that should, legally, be protected. But that doesn't mean it would be ok to lose it.

To be honest, even if I had the greatest security software ever or not yet invented, I wouldn't put my laptop in a position where it could be easily stolen, like leaving it in my car while I'm in a restaurant. It's not like it's handcuffed to my wrist. It stays in my house or hotel room without me. And as I'm sure is the case with other people, that bag doesn't just have a laptop with sensitive data. It has expensive equipment, and other personal items that I need.

Bottom line, there's a whole lot of reasons to not leave a laptop bag with a hotel desk or in the trunk of your car, etc. Data is the one I'd not want to tell my employer about.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In some places, it would be safer (out of sight) in the (locked) trunk of a car than with you.

What you do in hotel rooms that don't have working in room safes or where they're not large enough for the laptop?
Old May 24, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In some places, it would be safer (out of sight) in the (locked) trunk of a car than with you.

What you do in hotel rooms that don't have working in room safes or where they're not large enough for the laptop?
If you're asking me, I usually avoid places where I wouldn't be safe. But trunks are raided fairly often in nice areas. For a couple years, it was quite common for trunks to be robbed in restaurant and office building parking lots in Houston, where I travel regularly.

I'm not insane, just try to use common sense. The hotel room is already locked. Only hotel employees, typically cleaning crew, would have access. That's a pretty bold move for a cleaner to steal a laptop, knowing they can be easily tracked. I realize you can't create 100% safety. Certainly one could be mugged, and there's nothing you can do about it. But I don't walk down dark alleys either. Same thing here...if you leave your laptop in a public place or with another person, there's a greater risk it will be stolen or broken. In the OP's case, Marriott needs to replace it. But my point is still that the situation could have been avoided, and now the OP has the hassle he's dealing with. The only inconvenience was he'd have to carry a backpack around?

I don't know if the OP said it was his laptop or his employer's, but it's fairly common security policy, from what I've seen, for employers to warn employees about leaving their laptop in the care of others or in a car, etc.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
For some people, a laptop is neither the most expensive item nor the most difficult to replace thing they travel with. Although I am admittedly somewhat unique, my travel laptop has only minimal corporate or personal data on it. I keep most company and/or personal files on encrypted SD cards in a separate location from my laptop. While I appreciate that keeping company files on removable media is not permissible at many businesses, it works for me. In addition to regular system backups on all of my office and home computers, I will normally backup any laptop I travel with just before leaving on a trip.

Since the laptop I travel with is not expensive or loaded with important files, it can be replaced easily. If I arrive at a hotel early, I leave my briefcase with a manager or the front desk rather than a bellhop. Although I understand the desire the keep one's laptop with them, some activities, like surfing or skiing, aren't appropriate venues for computers.

Although I generally leave expensive clothing at home when on vacation, I normally take one or two of my better suits with me on business trips to Europe and Asia. Unlike a laptop which can be replaced easily, dealing with the loss of a couple of custom made suits isn't as simple. For that reason, I am no more concerned leaving a laptop with my hotel than I am leaving the rest of my luggage.

I am not defending the decision to keep liquids in the same bag as a laptop, but I do feel that leaving a laptop with one's hotel isn't necessarily less prudent than leaving one's other possessions in the same location until check in.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by rny321; May 24, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Old May 24, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
For those who believe that the hotel should make some type of cash payment, do you think that it should be based on the replacement cost of a similar/identical laptop, or a somewhat lower, depreciated, value, depending mostly on the age of the damaged laptop? I'm talking about hardware only, -- software and data is a different, and more complicated issue.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
For those who believe that the hotel should make some type of cash payment, do you think that it should be based on the replacement cost of a similar/identical laptop, or a somewhat lower, depreciated, value, depending mostly on the age of the damaged laptop? I'm talking about hardware only, -- software and data is a different, and more complicated issue.
I think I'm in the minority here, but speaking as a heavy laptop user, I think the midpoint between the current (i.e. depreciated value) and the original purchase price would be fair.

For example:
-$1000 purchase price
-5 year depreciation
-assuming we're in year 3, current value is ~$400
-split the the difference between $400 and $1000 ---> $700
-a $700 laptop sold in 2019 is BETTER than a $1000 laptop sold in 2016

That having been said, as others have pointed out, the hotel surely has insurance for this sort of thing, so I'd shoot for the $1000 (using the above example) initially.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:59 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Cost of replacement. If I wasn’t looking to spend money on a new laptop this shouldn’t force me to do so.
Antarius and strickerj like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Cost of replacement. If I wasn’t looking to spend money on a new laptop this shouldn’t force me to do so.
Exactly this.

On a very strict technical liability basis, the hotel may very well owe OP nothing.

But if we're talking goodwill - well, what would you do if you went to a friend's party and knocked their laptop off a desk, splitting the screen from the keyboard? Say the friend shouldn't have left a laptop hanging over the edge of a desk. It doesn't matter to me. Depending on how I value the friendship, I could say "sorry about your laptop!" or I could run to an Apple Store (some are 24 hours) and return with a sealed replacement, a profuse apology, and an offer to help transfer old data.

In no circumstances would I say "oh, that's a 2 year old Macbook Pro which was $1600 at the time of purchase and based on my calculations is $750 now. Here's a check for $750."
strickerj likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.