Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Benefits and Bonvoy credits if I have Simultaneous Stays at Different Hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold

I have a three week long business trip coming up and will be staying at an Aloft for the whole trip. On weekends I want to get out of town and do something fun for myself. My plan is to keep most of my stuff at the Aloft and only take the necessities for the weekend. If I stay at another Marriott chain hotel on the weekend, would I be able to earn points and nights at both locations?
Old May 20, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by festriaqua
I have a three week long business trip coming up and will be staying at an Aloft for the whole trip. On weekends I want to get out of town and do something fun for myself. My plan is to keep most of my stuff at the Aloft and only take the necessities for the weekend. If I stay at another Marriott chain hotel on the weekend, would I be able to earn points and nights at both locations?
According to the rules, You should be able to earn the points but not double-dip on nights.

That said, in your case I wouldn’t be surprised if it works. Your weekend stays will presumably post to your account before your long Aloft stay. Marriott’s IT sucks, as we know, and I’ve had your exact same scenario happen in the past and I did receive double night credit for those other stays.

If your account were to get audited for some reason the nights might get clawed back, but you’ll keep your points.

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by festriaqua
Also, talk to the Aloft GM when you arrive. If the hotel is nowhere near full for those weekend nights, s/he might just allow you to leave your stuff in the room and not charge you. Three weeks is a long stay, and GM will want you to return next time you're in the area.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Or use the opportunity to try different non marriott brands?

I did exactly that if I have a long stay at one place and do short vacation nearby
(usually I look for GHA properties or Accors as I got elite level there as well)
Dav77 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I ALWAYS take these situations as an excuse to accumulate nights / stays in a back-up program. Sorting out an overlapping stay IT mess is rarely worth it, especially when you know you're "in the wrong".
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I ALWAYS take these situations as an excuse to accumulate nights / stays in a back-up program. Sorting out an overlapping stay IT mess is rarely worth it, especially when you know you're "in the wrong".
x2
Old May 21, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
While unintentional, we were staying in one city, made an award reservation in my name for our kid flying into a different city and both nights were credited as stays.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by TommyC80
Your weekend stays will presumably post to your account before your long Aloft stay. Marriott’s IT sucks, as we know, and I’ve had your exact same scenario happen in the past and I did receive double night credit for those other stays.
Whilst I can't comment on the new system I can confirm historically (three years ago or so) there used to be issues in this scenario, often the longer stay wouldn't post automatically and it required manual intervention via customer service staff as the system used to see a duplicate and block the new posting. Then again, I always got the points if not the nights, after those fixes. I wouldn't stop doing it, but just make sure you check what happens and be prepared for an intervention.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Just as a separate data point, I recently did this and got credit for all nights. I had a 7 night stay at a hotel in one city, and did a 2 day/1 night excursion to a city a couple hours away by train in the middle of that stay. Both Marriott hotels, although one was an ex-SPG and one was an RC. But I got credit for a total of 8 nights. No problems with having the nights and points post. So I guess YMMV.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
My impression is that under SPG, most of these got full credit for both. If they audited your account for some reason, that's when they would pick it up and make the correction. No idea or experience under Marriott.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:07 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
FWIW have done this twice this year, wife booked on my account in one city and myself in another, both posted.

Now if on audited it is removed, so be it...
Old May 21, 2019, 9:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by TommyC80
According to the rules, You should be able to earn the points but not double-dip on nights.

That said, in your case I wouldn’t be surprised if it works. Your weekend stays will presumably post to your account before your long Aloft stay. Marriott’s IT sucks, as we know, and I’ve had your exact same scenario happen in the past and I did receive double night credit for those other stays.

If your account were to get audited for some reason the nights might get clawed back, but you’ll keep your points.
I agree with all of this. I would add that if one makes a habit of doing this, the clawback of points might not be the biggest concern.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
why dont you just check-out and leave the luggage behind?
I'm sure they're more than happy to store it for you since you're coming back on monday
Old May 22, 2019, 12:32 am

Long ago I ran biz where I had to move fast. Sometimes I had two cars and hotel rooms on rent at the same time. I always got credit but that was long ago.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by dayone
I would add that if one makes a habit of doing this, the clawback of points might not be the biggest concern.
“Doing this” - booking and paying for the same night at different hotels - is perfectly legitimate and, save for the potential clawback of Bonvoy benefits and credits under the T&Cs of the program, there are no grounds whatsoever to take any punitive action against the member.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; May 22, 2019 at 1:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.