Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Are Legacy SPG Hotels Customer Reviews Lower on the Combined Marriott Bonvoy Web Site

Are Legacy SPG Hotels Customer Reviews Lower on the Combined Marriott Bonvoy Web Site

Old May 17, 19, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold

I was searching hotels for an upcoming trip. It appears the legacy SPG hotels have a lower customer review score in general than comparable legacy Marriott hotels in the same general area. I know there are a lot of variables when someone reviews a hotel and some hotels do indeed deserve below 4 stars. I don't know the formula used to for the customer rating. There are some terrible Residence Inns with 4.3 that are probably more like a 3.8. There some Westin and Sheraton hotels that should be higher than a 4.1 or 4.2. With the merger of the database, is there a different formula or criteria used on legacy SPG hotels than on the legacy Marriott hotels when the database were merged? Are the legacy Marriott hotels ratings inflated? What are your thoughts?
Old Yesterday, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ducky9 View Post
I was searching hotels for an upcoming trip. It appears the legacy SPG hotels have a lower customer review score in general than comparable legacy Marriott hotels in the same general area. I know there are a lot of variables when someone reviews a hotel and some hotels do indeed deserve below 4 stars. I don't know the formula used to for the customer rating. There are some terrible Residence Inns with 4.3 that are probably more like a 3.8. There some Westin and Sheraton hotels that should be higher than a 4.1 or 4.2. With the merger of the database, is there a different formula or criteria used on legacy SPG hotels than on the legacy Marriott hotels when the database were merged? Are the legacy Marriott hotels ratings inflated? What are your thoughts?
I can think of several possibilities immediately. How about, -- Other people may rate these hotels differently from the ratings that you would give.
DJ_Iceman and Diplomatico like this.
Old Yesterday, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1KMM, Hyatt Explorist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
What same general area are we talking about here?
Old Yesterday, 6:40 am

Programs: UA/*S, WN A-List, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Gov't Rate
Anecdotally speaking, pre-rewards program merger, I found that comparable hotel reviews (at least business/city hotels where I usually stay) on legacy SPG.com averaged ~0.5 star lower than on legacy Marriott.com. After the merger Starriott imported the scores as-is.

I don't think that Marriott scores were "inflated" or SPG scores suppressed, just that each community had differing consensus baseline numbers. Definitely be aware of this and don't simply compare scores between these properties.
Old Yesterday, 7:20 am

Programs: DL PM 1 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT PM, Hilton DM
I have noticed the same thing all over the country (USA) and was wondering if there was a difference in the rating system when they brought them into Marriott. Glad I am not the only one to notice.
Old Yesterday, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by estedman View Post
I have noticed the same thing all over the country (USA) and was wondering if there was a difference in the rating system when they brought them into Marriott. Glad I am not the only one to notice.
+1

It's my sense that all things being equal, legacy SPG hotels are scoring lower. I think its more than people seeing things differently but must have something to do with how they were brought over.

That being said, since I've had 500 nights in the past three years and have only had one survey, I don't give it a lot of credibility anyway.
Old Yesterday, 9:57 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Hard to know without knowing area.

Also one of the many reasons I check FT first for hotel reviews and only rely on TA or Google Ratings if there are no FT reviews (for all hotel chains, not just Marriott)
C17PSGR and margarita girl like this.
Old Yesterday, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Maybe itís all those valuable, wealthy legacy SPG elites complaining about things that most people wouldnít complain about
Old Yesterday, 1:50 pm

Programs: SPG-PPE+Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-Gold
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Maybe itís all those valuable, wealthy legacy SPG elites complaining about things that most people wouldnít complain about
Or more likely, all the Marriott folks complaining about the lack of lounges.
Old Yesterday, 1:56 pm

Iíve always noticed this as well and assumed itís how the scores were imported over. If I was a L-SPG hotel, I wouldnít be to thrilled.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Yesterday, 2:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Cuts both ways

Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Maybe it’s all those valuable, wealthy legacy SPG elites complaining about things that most people wouldn’t complain about
Or maybe it’s all those legacy Marriott members whose limited horizons lead them to believe their local domestic Residence Inn is the epitome of sophistication & luxury and rate it accordingly ?
supatight80 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
Or maybe itís all those legacy Marriott members whose limited horizons lead them to believe their local domestic Residence Inn is the epitome of sophistication & luxury and rate it accordingly ?
or maybe they realize their local Residence Inn is just an extended stay hotel and not a five star resort and rate it accordingly.