Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance what is a legitimate "breakfast alternative"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renaissance what is a legitimate "breakfast alternative"

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
Why does Marriott allow this it?
Take a look at the list of exceptions. They are all high profile hotels in high profile cities. It's a scenario where the hotel chain needs the hotel more than the reverse.

For most "regular" hotels, being a part of a chain is very beneficial. Without the constant stream of brand-loyal guests, many hotels would flounder. None of that is true for hotels in high profile cities. While they might not do as well, I bet every one of the hotels on the exception list would still make a decent profit if they uncoupled from Marriott.

Essentially, Marriott needs hotels in these cities. Hotel owner know that fact and use it to their advantage. Those hotels negotiate exceptions to the franchisee agreement that would be impossible for thousands of "regular" hotels to get.

Added: This opinion is based on when I worked for Radisson at a corporate-owned and operated hotel. I worked closely with our regional Director of Revenue Manager. (I think that was her official title.) We discussed this very issue, as the chain was attempting an aggressive expansion at the time. She mentioned how difficult it was to find good hotels in high profile cities like New York and Los Angeles and that the owners have all the leverage in those cities.
jamiel likes this.

Last edited by writerguyfl; May 19, 2019 at 1:44 pm Reason: Added last paragraph.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Even though they're on the list the JW Essex House & JW NOLA lounges are open on the weekend.

Cheers.
The Monterey Marriott has no club, but at least during the week, (I have heard weekends are different, but I only go during the week) provides platinum+ with honestly one of the better free breakfast buffets I've seen at a Marriott/SPG property. It is one of my favorite places I "have" to go to for work.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
The Renaissance Midtown New York is on the list but I can confirm that they do issue vouchers for the restaurant breakfast on Saturdays and Sundays.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by seat38a
The Renaissance Midtown New York is on the list but I can confirm that they do issue vouchers for the restaurant breakfast on Saturdays and Sundays.
thanks for confirming. I haven't stayed there in a few months but that's how they have historically handled it. Not sure why they're on the list since they don't actually take advantage of the exception. But who's complaining!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Originally Posted by seat38a
I stayed there in June and did get the vouchers for both Saturday and Sunday; however, it was in lieu of my PAG. In other words, no 1000 points or F&B amenity. They did not pro-actively offer them, I had to ask (and knew to ask because I have stayed there before.) I was fine not getting my PAG, I would much rather have (a good!) breakfast for 2 people for 2 days!
Old Jun 18, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
When I stayed at the Renaissance LAX in July 2021 as a Plat, I received both a welcome gift and delicious breakfast for 2 (albeit being served in styrofoam takeout containers at that time)
Old Jun 18, 2022, 10:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JJ804
When I stayed at the Renaissance LAX in July 2021 as a Plat, I received both a welcome gift and delicious breakfast for 2 (albeit being served in styrofoam takeout containers at that time)
Checking the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions, the Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel is one of 7 Renaissance hotels in a list of 19 Marriott Bonvoy hotels that are allowed to thumb their noses at guests who are Platinum Elite and above. If the Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel actually provides breakfast in the restaurant when the lounge is closed, then they're unnecessarily losing business from those of us who read the following list as a list of hotels to avoid:

The following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

● The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
● Boston Marriott Copley Place
● Boston Marriott Long Wharf
● Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
● JW Marriott Essex House New York City
● JW Marriott New Orleans
● JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
● JW Marriott Washington, DC
● The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection
● Monterey Marriott
● New York Marriott Marquis®
● Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
● Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel
● Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
● Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel
● Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel
● Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
● Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
● Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.