Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Water Issues at a Hotel (General Discussion)

Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club

I had a recent stay at a hotel and the second morning (Wednesday) I went to take a shower there was an issue with the water pressure (see video below). It was nearly impossible to shower due to this. I was in a rush to get to work and didn't have time to go to a different room even if it was offered. On my way past the front desk I asked if the whole hotel was having an issue with water pressure or just my room. I was told it was the whole hotel and engineers were on the roof looking into it. I returned to the hotel that evening and the water pressure was fine. The next morning (Thursday) it was fine as well and when checking out, I mentioned the issue to the lady at the front desk and showed her the video. She asked what time this occurred and I let her know it was about 7:00am. She stated that sometimes happens when the hotel is sold out and offered me points. I asked how many and she said she is only authorized to give me 1,200 points. I asked her to have a manager call me instead as that was not acceptable. I have not received a call back from the manager and I left a voicemail this morning on the manager's line but haven't heard back.

What are your thoughts on what should be offered? I do not expect the stay to be free, or even one night to be fully compensated, but I do expect more than 1,200 points.

Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If it were me, I'd ask for 7,500 points and be satisfied with 5,000. I'm sure that others will suggest a much richer remedy.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Forgot to mention the name of the hotel as that is usually the first question asked...

St. Petersburg Marriott Clearwater
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Half of the points required to stay one night in the hotel might be a reasonable benchmark to request, then be happy if you get a third or a quarter of the points required for a night there.

Still, I'd be annoyed by the different stories: engineers working on roof to fix the issue versus this happens all the time when we're full.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Still, I'd be annoyed by the different stories: engineers working on roof to fix the issue versus this happens all the time when we're full.
Agreed, I cannot stand it when someone makes up a line. We all know that water pressure and hot water temps can be affected by high occupancy, or if you're trying to shower at 7:30 AM when everyone else is. That's not a big deal at all. Having no flow, with guys fixing things on the roof, is a completely different matter. It does sound like the hotel was quick to fix the issue, but I would ask for more than 1,200 points. I would also let the manager know that I don't appreciate stupid BS answers from the staff. They had a water pressure issue due to something mechanical, not heavy usage, and they brought in repairmen who fixed the mechanical issue. Okay, things happen, the first person you spoke to about it was honest and gave you the correct info. You had a bad morning, but at least you knew what the issue was.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Just tell them that due to the water situation you had to heat up water in the kettle to wash your hair. That your hair smelled like coffee for a full day. Never go wrong with that one.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tfong007
Just tell them that due to the water situation you had to heat up water in the kettle to wash your hair. That your hair smelled like coffee for a full day. Never go wrong with that one.
Wouldn't that be making stuff up? Maybe saying that you were forced to wash hair in coffee would result in more points.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Update... I emailed Marriott's Customer Service as I never heard back from the hotel (emailed them on 12/13). I received a response on 12/20 from Marriott Customer Service stating the hotel would reach out directly to me within three to five business days. Of course I never received another email. I replied to the Marriott Customer Service email on 1/3 stating I had not heard back and there have been no emails since.

Pathetic customer service to say the least... considering I have been Platinum for the past nine years and never sent a complaint to Marriott Customer Service about a hotel stay in those previous nine years.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Final update... received an email from Marriott Customer Service that was part of a thread with the hotel. The hotel stated they reached out to me and apologized. That never did happen. Either way, I will not be staying at the St. Petersburg Marriott Clearwater and would suggest you don't either. When I was back in Tampa I stayed at the Tampa Sheraton Riverwalk due to my previous issue at the Marriott, and the Sheraton was a much nicer property which I would recommend!
KRSW and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
>watch cheesy Japanese TV show on travel (the kind w/ 3rd rate celebrities sitting around with comments and reactions while locals say everything in Japanese for the camera)

>water pressure is apparently a very big deal they check this at every resort they visit
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by msp3
>watch cheesy Japanese TV show on travel (the kind w/ 3rd rate celebrities sitting around with comments and reactions while locals say everything in Japanese for the camera)

>water pressure is apparently a very big deal they check this at every resort they visit
It's funny that you mention that. One of the best showers I've ever had was at Osaka Marriott and Prince Gallery Tokyo. The water pressure felt like a really nice massage on my back. Had to be careful having my eyes shut lol.
Now I hate my shower in own apartment..
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by mindrisa
Final update... received an email from Marriott Customer Service that was part of a thread with the hotel. The hotel stated they reached out to me and apologized. That never did happen. Either way, I will not be staying at the St. Petersburg Marriott Clearwater and would suggest you don't either. When I was back in Tampa I stayed at the Tampa Sheraton Riverwalk due to my previous issue at the Marriott, and the Sheraton was a much nicer property which I would recommend!
And what was the outcome?

This is where both Starwood and Hilton where leaps and bounds ahead of Marriott, IMHO. If there was an issue a stay that warranted follow-up they would of course allow the property to response within 3 to 5 days (too long I think, but whatever) and then....if the property does not reply at all or dismisses the concern and closes the file, common sense would prevail. Most properties will try to address an issue like to water, no heat or no AC as its unacceptable for a global chain, especially so for their frequent guests.

Marriott simply does nothing or passes the buck back and forth.

Needless to say, voting with my wallet in 2019.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
And what was the outcome?

This is where both Starwood and Hilton where leaps and bounds ahead of Marriott, IMHO. If there was an issue a stay that warranted follow-up they would of course allow the property to response within 3 to 5 days (too long I think, but whatever) and then....if the property does not reply at all or dismisses the concern and closes the file, common sense would prevail. Most properties will try to address an issue like to water, no heat or no AC as its unacceptable for a global chain, especially so for their frequent guests.

Marriott simply does nothing or passes the buck back and forth.

Needless to say, voting with my wallet in 2019.
I guess I do have one more update. Over the weekend the GM did attempt to call and email me. We were unable to connect but I spoke to her earlier today and she was very apologetic and forthcoming and did admit the front desk should be trained better in these situations. I did find out that this was an issue throughout the hotel that has since been fixed and should not happen again (numerous people complained the same day I did). She also apologized about the amount of time it took to reply and stated she would have points deposited into my account due to the issue. She also commented on the video and agreed it was not acceptable. All in all, I am happy with the response, but just not the amount of time it took to get a response. She completely agreed.
KRSW likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Marriott Burbank - No hot water at 6:00 this morning - Appropriate compensation?

I'm not normally a compensation kind of guy but I had a miserable end to my stay at the Marriott Burbank today (5/17). When I went to have a shower this morning, I was greeted to freezing cold water in the hot water faucet, and exactly the same in the shower. Not taking a shower was not an option, so I had the most miserable shower, complete with uncontrollable shivering and chattering teeth, it really was that cold! On check out I mentioned the issue and was greeted by a really indifferent front office staff who said something to the effect that "yeah, a few people have mentioned that as an issue". What does the collective wisdom of the group think is an appropriate ask as compensation?

Thanks!

Last edited by timfountain; May 17, 2019 at 8:41 pm
Old May 17, 2019, 10:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by timfountain
I'm not normally a compensation kind of guy but I had a miserable end to my stay at the Marriott Burbank today (5/17). When I went to have a shower this morning, I was greeted to freezing cold water in the hot water faucet, and exactly the same in the shower. Not taking a shower was not an option, so I had the most miserable shower, complete with uncontrollable shivering and chattering teeth, it really was that cold! On check out I mentioned the issue and was greeted by a really indifferent front office staff who said something to the effect that "yeah, a few people have mentioned that as an issue". What does the collective wisdom of the group think is an appropriate ask as compensation?

Thanks!
I seem to disagree with many people who think they are entitled to compensation. However, on this issue, I will probably be more "generous" than most. A hot shower is one of the primary benefits I require. I would, in many instances, expect not to be charged for my hotel night if there wasn't hot water for my shower.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.