Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the Caribbean

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos

We are planning a milestone trip next winter and were looking at the Four Seasons in Nevis, but it doesn't seem to discount and $925/night doesn't make sense while we are sitting on just under a million Bonvoy points.

Nevis is a draw for us, due to the history and the volcano and the very quiet nature of the island. Any thoughts on the most similar Bonvoy property we could try? Using the "buy 4 get 1" deal plus two other nights, I see Category 8 is 85K points/night, so we'd only have to use 510K points for a week, which sounds really good to us.

I've got the (?) next to Caribbean because that is my default when I think "beach, warm, quiet, under 6 hours to get to there", but that's not a requirement. Any place there's a beach, warm water and air, and quiet would work for us, and preferably some history or hiking or things to do during the day in addition to the beach, and as long as we can get to there from Boston in under 6 hours travel time or so*. We've been to Mexico a few times, but we are looking for something totally new. I know there is a St. Regis in Puerto Rico and I might be able to be convinced to go there. Good restaurants in walking or reasonable cab distance away is a big plus

We come from the SPG program, so know those options fairly well, but not necessarily all the upper end options. I don't know anything about the Ritz-Carlton or other former Marriott properties. I know there is a Ritz in Grand Cayman and one in St. Thomas, but we have been to those islands and they are too busy places for our plans.

All Inclusive is not needed

Fully expect that this isn't possible, but hoping to be surprised by my friends on the board.

* Basically I think we are looking to repeat but significantly upgrade a similar trip we took to Providenciales, so many years ago, when we stayed at Grace Bay in a midrange property. Great beach and pool, pretty quiet, short ride to restaurants with a couple of places on property.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Grace Bay is excellent! Now if the elusive JW would appear...

St. Kitts might not be a significant upgrade from that but it's a nice experience. The Marriott there is a nice property on a quiet beach with a good pool. While the island is fairly quiet oh, there are still a lot of things to do including boat trips to Nevis
Old May 16, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
The Marriott Curacao is set to reopen in September. It is completely remodeled after closing for over 2 years.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Scrub Island.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Oh, my! That looks like a real possibility .

Curacao doesn't seem to be taking reservations yet or have a category assigned, but that might be good, too.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The St. Regis in Puerto Rico is beautiful - it definitely might be worth a shot. It is very close to a really nice rainforest reserve and a relatively short ride from San Juan, which has amazingly beautiful forts and colonial architecture.

I prefer the large grounds and tranquility that come with being a ways outside the city, which is why I like the St. Regis so much. But if you want to be closer to the action, the La Concha in San Juan is also a good option. I'd recommend that hotel over the Ritz Carlton in San Juan, but that also might be an option.

The Ritz Carlton Reserve in Dorado is also truly spectacular (arguably my favorite hotel in the world), but doesn't accept Bonvoy bookings as far as I know.

I also went to the Marriott in Curaçao. It was also very nice, but not as grand as the St. Regis (but this was before the renovation, so things might have changed). Curaçao also has a really neat history and interesting architecture.

Last edited by ColonelHughPickering; May 16, 2019 at 9:12 am
Old May 16, 2019, 9:24 am

We’re looking at Scrub island for a similar trip next year.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Have you been recently? I had awful experience a few months ago and will never return.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:48 pm

I would really do your homework. I stayed at Scrub recently and it was a terrible experience. I could provide a long list of complaints. I'd go elsewhere -- the Marriott on St. John is beautiful and private.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:49 pm

I would do your research. I stayed there about 2 months ago and it was a terrible experience. Management is awful and wasn't willing to rectify my complaints even while onsite. Plenty of other great options in BVI and USVI.

Save yourself.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:37 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The RC Reserve Dorado is the nicest option perhaps in the Caribbean, along with some non Marriott properties--but as noted, it doesn't participate in Bonvoy.

The StR Bahia Beach in Puerto Rico is overwhelmingly the nicest Caribbean property in the entire Bonvoy portfolio. It just reopened after 2 years closure and renovation after Hurricane Maria, and the new hard product is sensational. The service wasn't quite up to StR standard in February 2019 during our stay, but given another 6 months and I'd expect the hotel to be running back at StR levels. I stayed pre-Maria in Feb 2017, as well; it was phenomenal. It's a 30-40 min drive to downtown San Juan and is on a spectacular beach and only 20 min from the El Yunque Forest and areas of amazing natural beauty on PR.

After that, it's a choice between large and not as fresh Ritz-Carlton properties like Aruba, San Juan (not sure when reopens since Maria), Grand Cayman, and St Thomas, and the Scrub Island Autograph property. I realize Scrub's Cat 8 award status makes some think it will be nicer, but be careful--award category often has more to do with rates (supply and DEMAND) and less to do with quality, especially in the overpriced markets of the Caribbean (and Mexico). Technically, the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun might also qualify, though it's super dated.

The Westin St John and Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach resorts and La Concha Renaissance in San Juan might also be good options. There's also a Design Hotel Laluna on Grenada...but don't expect a lot of elite benefits.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Have you considered the JW in Costa Rica?
Old May 17, 2019, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Damo: You have repeated your distaste a few times. Could you share some helpful details?

Looking at all the suggestions, above. Many thanks for all the constructive input!
Old May 17, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Lehava
Have you considered the JW in Costa Rica?
Isn't there a new W in Costa Rica as well?

That being said, I think it is beyond OP's preferred travel distance.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by DamoTime
I would really do your homework. I stayed at Scrub recently and it was a terrible experience. I could provide a long list of complaints. I'd go elsewhere -- the Marriott on St. John is beautiful and private.
And Scrub is a very small island so you are stuck there unless you rely on the service over to Tortola. Scrub is the base for DYC sailing charters and it also gets a lot of bare boat sailing traffic, people dock for the night and use facilities.

The Westin on St. John has recently reopened and reports on the STJ boards are all good. A few things to know:

1. the resort has transitioned to an all "vacation club" model so look into the frequency of housekeeping services.

2, the "villas" are across the road and up on the hill. This results in lovely views but a long (and steep on the return) walk to some of them. Golf carts do run regularly to ferry guests.

3. The beach isn't great. It looks good in pictures but is man made. Further, there are many live aboard boats moored in that bay. STJ does not have pump out facilities.

4. Cruz Bay has many good restaurants and is a short cab ride from the Westin.

5. Westin does offer easy transport (at a cost) from baggage claim at STT direct to the resort via private ferry.

STJ is a lovely island and one of our favorites in the Caribbean. We have been visiting for nearly 25 years.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
The RC Reserve Dorado is the nicest option perhaps in the Caribbean, along with some non Marriott properties--but as noted, it doesn't participate in Bonvoy.

The StR Bahia Beach in Puerto Rico is overwhelmingly the nicest Caribbean property in the entire Bonvoy portfolio. It just reopened after 2 years closure and renovation after Hurricane Maria, and the new hard product is sensational. The service wasn't quite up to StR standard in February 2019 during our stay, but given another 6 months and I'd expect the hotel to be running back at StR levels. I stayed pre-Maria in Feb 2017, as well; it was phenomenal. It's a 30-40 min drive to downtown San Juan and is on a spectacular beach and only 20 min from the El Yunque Forest and areas of amazing natural beauty on PR.

After that, it's a choice between large and not as fresh Ritz-Carlton properties like Aruba, San Juan (not sure when reopens since Maria), Grand Cayman, and St Thomas, and the Scrub Island Autograph property. I realize Scrub's Cat 8 award status makes some think it will be nicer, but be careful--award category often has more to do with rates (supply and DEMAND) and less to do with quality, especially in the overpriced markets of the Caribbean (and Mexico). Technically, the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun might also qualify, though it's super dated.

The Westin St John and Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach resorts and La Concha Renaissance in San Juan might also be good options. There's also a Design Hotel Laluna on Grenada...but don't expect a lot of elite benefits.
StR Bahia Beach is on our radar. We stayed further done the beach several years back and really enjoyed it. The location is a great base for beach, boating and hiking in El Yunque. Puerto Rico has a lot to offer and is very easy to reach from Boston. We like stopping over for a few nights prior to moving onto other Caribbean islands.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.