Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Why is Marriott more generous than SPG when it comes to redemption?

Old May 15, 19, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

I am using my points to book redemptions for Al Maha and St regis Maldives, my friends who is a long time starwood members told me that now it's a good time because it only takes 85000 Marriott points, but before merger, some limited participating properties such as hotels in Maldives and Al maha do not need to follow SPG cat7 redemption requirement , it takes about 90000 star points to ( which equals to 270,000 now) to book a redemption at those hotels in SPG ear.

I was shocked, who would spend so mush points for a night? I always felt that even before merger , Marriott is always easier for earning points and redemptions, even if you take a tier1~5 Ritz /Edition into considerations.

It's crazy that SPG asking members for that much points for redemptions for top properties. I never feel the whole Marriott take over SPG is that bad, this is the prove. Unless they will change redemption requirement for cat8 in the future.
Old May 15, 19, 11:12 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Ambassador (LTT)
Because Marriott was a rewards (points accumulation oriented) program and SPG was a loyalty (benefits oriented) program?
Old May 15, 19, 11:16 pm

You are going to be ripped to pieces soon as a member posing as a Marriott employee or just a crazy Marriott enthusiast that canít see how great Hyatt and Hilton are

having said that, there are definitely some good redemption options and arbitrage with the new conversions although donít expect all is well when peak pricing starts.
Vince Chan likes this.
Old May 15, 19, 11:23 pm

St Regis Maldives was 90k but Al Maha was only 60k. And for these properties and a few others they almost continuously had a 35% off promo going. I stayed at the Al Maha for 39k and it was phenomenal. At the time that was the best one could do for the Al Maha. Obviously now with Marriott itís significantly fewer points than with SPG. But there are also a lot of properties that now cost more with Marriott points than they did with SPG points. You win some, you lose some.
Vince Chan likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 12:59 am
Original Poster

It's just crazy for me to see those points requirement for " limited participating properties" in spg era. Basically taking way possibilities to using award redemption to stay at those hotels.
Old May 16, 19, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
I remain reasonably convinced that Marriott only got rid of the SPG ďabove cat 7Ē properties by accident.
supatight80 likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by myperks View Post
You are going to be ripped to pieces soon as a member posing as a Marriott employee or just a crazy Marriott enthusiast that can’t see how great Hyatt and Hilton are
What do Hyatt and Hilton have to do with a question about current and legacy Marriott and SPG redemption rates?
Old May 16, 19, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
What do Hyatt and Hilton have to do with a question about current and legacy Marriott and SPG redemption rates?
because more often than not since the merger the Marriott-bashing Hyatt and Hilton goers comment on how bad Starriott is when others comment on some good of whatís left of the combined program.