Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Deira Dubai [CLOSED 12 May 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, World of Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum

JW Marriott Hotel Dubai in Deira to close down (not the JW Marriott Marquis Hotel)
https://thepointshabibi.com/2019/04/...ose-on-may-12/
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
This is sad news. It is quite dated but it had incredible staff members!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:09 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spgn00b
JW Marriott Hotel Dubai in Deira to close down (not the JW Marriott Marquis Hotel)
https://thepointshabibi.com/2019/04/...ose-on-may-12/
Considering the last 3 times I have stayed the occupancy rate was less than 50% and the rate paid was 250 AED ($80), I was expecting this.
My guess to many Marriotts. I wonder what chain, it resurfaces as (Hilton???).
I am back at hotel on Thursday.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMCO
Considering the last 3 times I have stayed the occupancy rate was less than 50% and the rate paid was 250 AED ($80), I was expecting this.
My guess to many Marriotts. I wonder what chain, it resurfaces as (Hilton???).
I am back at hotel on Thursday.
Previously in Dubai last year we saw the W hotel close and reopen via Hilton as V hotel brand. Maybe this one will reopen by Hilton as a new "J" brand 😂
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Previously in Dubai last year we saw the W hotel close and reopen via Hilton as V hotel brand. Maybe this one will reopen by Hilton as a new "J" brand 😂
Too much competition. They had too many Marriott/Starwood properties in Business Bay..
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:37 am

According to staff, 380 people will lose employment at this hotel. Real shame that the two UAE owners could not agree. This is the only ME Marriott ever to close.
My very last stay here and I have coming here since 2000.
Old May 4, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: MR rewards
Its very old hotel and the location as of today not so good the area was good till 2010, last stay for me was 2008

​​​
Old May 12, 2019, 10:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I called the hotel yesterday to get some information about the closure and if the hotel would be rebranded, but the phone agent told me that plans were for the hotel to completely cease operations and no longer be operated as a hotel. He said he was unaware of what the future plans were for the property, and whether or not it involves demolition remains to be seen.

I was in Dubai just after 9/11 and some relatives of mine stayed at the hotel, and I remember it being quite nice back then but it clearly hasn't had much work done to it since. The mall the hotel was a part of, the Hamarain Centre, has been a dead mall for years, being for all intents and purposes vacant bar a Baskin Robbins that somehow lumbered to stay open. I wouldn't be surprised if the owners planned to convert the hotel and mall into offices, or just rip the entire complex down for a fresh start. I'm sure we'll see or hear something soon enough.

khabah
Old May 16, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by khabah
I called the hotel yesterday to get some information about the closure and if the hotel would be rebranded, but the phone agent told me that plans were for the hotel to completely cease operations and no longer be operated as a hotel. He said he was unaware of what the future plans were for the property, and whether or not it involves demolition remains to be seen.

I was in Dubai just after 9/11 and some relatives of mine stayed at the hotel, and I remember it being quite nice back then but it clearly hasn't had much work done to it since. The mall the hotel was a part of, the Hamarain Centre, has been a dead mall for years, being for all intents and purposes vacant bar a Baskin Robbins that somehow lumbered to stay open. I wouldn't be surprised if the owners planned to convert the hotel and mall into offices, or just rip the entire complex down for a fresh start. I'm sure we'll see or hear something soon enough.

khabah
That was the same with the ex-Renaissance in Deira. Was resurrected into a Crowne Plaza. The owners if they can agree need to find another management company. Tearing down makes no sense. However I do know that Marriott had been pressing the owners to renovate, as they did with the Renaissance. My feeling is that Marriott pulled the plug as it no longer fit the corporate image especially after losing a star from 5 to 4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.