Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Question on a couple with different status level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum

My husband and I plan to take a trip to Asia and stay in Marriott properties. He is Gold and I am Platinum. He plans on getting the hotel (so he can hopefully reach the next level for next year). Is there anyway to have the benefits that come with Platinum, even though the reservations will be under his account? Also, it possible for married couples to merge into one account?

Thanks everyone.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Accounts are individual, not something associated with a family unit. You cannot merge accounts. Nor should people be able to do this: why should a Gold and a Plat be equivalent to two Tits?
Old May 12, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
A similar question was posted a few days ago. Combine elite status?
In my experience, an accommodating desk clerk might offer you some of the higher elite benefits, but they aren't required to.
lianluo likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Accounts are individual, not something associated with a family unit. You cannot merge accounts. Nor should people be able to do this: why should a Gold and a Plat be equivalent to two Tits?
I was thinking more along the lines that a couple simply have one account, not that a gold/platinum would become a higher status. I could understand the problems that could create if there were a divorce, of course. But it ya don't ask, ya don't know.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lianluo
I was thinking more along the lines that a couple simply have one account, not that a gold/platinum would become a higher status. I could understand the problems that could create if there were a divorce, of course. But it ya don't ask, ya don't know.
NO, you would have Person 1 of a couple who travels at the Plat level (50 nights) while Person 2 travels at the Gold level (25 nights), but you *want* it to be the case that they can credit to the same account (including sometimes staying in different hotels on the same night) to get 75 nights (Tit level) and BOTH get Tit level benefits with every stay they make either individually or as a couple. So 1 Gold + 1 Plat = 2 Tits if this were allowed. Two distinct and separate individuals (even if they're married they're not physically joined at the hip) each get Tit status benefits for a total of 75 nights. It's equivalent to letting each and every one of us gift our status level to some other individual (or sell it on eBay) in that there would be two people getting Tit benefits in exchange for a total of 75 nights.

Old May 13, 2019, 4:51 am
Original Poster

I see your point there. Well that’s why I asked. I was able to give my husband my airline status so hoped there might be some sort of thing for the Marriott. Thanks to those who replied.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Your question has obviously been answered, but I'll just add one thought. I don't know how long your trip is or what properties you'll be staying at, but lounge access in Asian Marriotts is quite a significant benefit. Many have a full buffet breakfast, or even offer a restaurant breakfast. Some have midday snacks. Plus a good buffet at night with free alcoholic drinks. Although I prefer not to eat in hotels generally, I take full advantage of the breakfast and a happy hour drink or two when I'm in Asia or Europe Marriotts.

I understand your husband is trying to get to Platinum, and this is the tradeoff you're considering, but wasn't sure if you were aware of how the benefits differed at Asian properties as you make that decision.
acrophobia likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Since you both are travelling together, you may want to book the rooms on your name to get the Elite benefits and then change the name on the reservation at checkout to your husband's name so that he gets the Points and Nights. I guess this would be frowned upon by the User community here.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
I guess this would be frowned upon by the User community here.
No, but it would likely be frowned on by Marriott and the properties.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
No, but it would likely be frowned on by Marriott and the properties.
I have never seen the hotels caring about it.
At times when I have gone out on family vacations with other family friends, I have put my Marriott# on the checkout on their folio and nobody ever has had any issue about it. They don't have much status with Marriott and rarely travel and so never care about the points, while for me the points are a nice icing on the cake.

Last edited by DFWsakp; May 13, 2019 at 9:14 am
Old May 13, 2019, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
I have never seen the hotels caring about it.
At times when I have gone out on family vacations with other family friends, I have put my Marriott# on the checkout and nobody ever has had any issue about it. They don't have much status with Marriott and rarely travel and so never care about the points, while for me the points are a nice icing on the cake.
Your scenario is different because you aren't taking advantage of lounge and other benefits in that case, and there was no Marriott # on the reservation to begin with.

I think it will probably depend on the property and who you ask to change the reservation. The OP can certainly ask at each property and see what happens.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Your question has obviously been answered, but I'll just add one thought. I don't know how long your trip is or what properties you'll be staying at, but lounge access in Asian Marriotts is quite a significant benefit. Many have a full buffet breakfast, or even offer a restaurant breakfast. Some have midday snacks. Plus a good buffet at night with free alcoholic drinks. Although I prefer not to eat in hotels generally, I take full advantage of the breakfast and a happy hour drink or two when I'm in Asia or Europe Marriotts.

I understand your husband is trying to get to Platinum, and this is the tradeoff you're considering, but wasn't sure if you were aware of how the benefits differed at Asian properties as you make that decision.
Totally agreed. I consistently get more value out of my elite status in Asia than in the US, and there are a lot of impressive properties as well.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. I think I'll just contact the hotel after we make reservations and see if they will be amenable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.