Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Booking with hotel direct saves over marriott.com?

Old May 12, 2019, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)

I'm looking at some dates in Berlin at the end of May. I noticed that the Westin Berlin offers a much lower rate directly with the hotel web site https://www.westin-berlin.com/

It's a different reservation system and doesn't ask for MR loyalty number. (Book-secure.com?)

Is this legit? Will I received my Marriott benefits, points, etc by booking online with the hotel? Could I book with marriott.com and request a price adjustment?

I've not see a property that has a separate web site that is much lower (30EUR/night) than the official booking portal.

THanks,
V
Old May 12, 2019, 7:38 am

This hotels website seems to be completely against Marriotts policy. The domain name is hotel specific and does not follow Bonvoys templates. Its a different booking system altogether, no mention of the loyalty program and they even have their own standalone best rate guarantee program (10% off the competing rate) for bookings made directly with the property (and outside Marriotts channels). My guess is their contract with Marriott is going to be over sometime soon and theyre getting ready to go solo.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
This hotel’s website seems to be completely against Marriott’s policy. The domain name is hotel specific and does not follow Bonvoy’s templates. It’s a different booking system altogether, no mention of the loyalty program and they even have their own standalone best rate guarantee program (10% off the competing rate) for bookings made directly with the property (and outside Marriott’s channels). My guess is their contract with Marriott is going to be over sometime soon and they’re getting ready to go solo.
The two Prince hotels in Japan that are part of Marriott also facilitate their own reservations. The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo even uses the same booking platform as the Westin Grand Berlin.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
try a BRG and save another 25%,
Old May 12, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
try a BRG and save another 25%,
Its not possible to file BRG claims against rates found on hotels standalone websites.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is Book-secure.com on OLTA? Also, have you looked carefully at the cancellation policies and other terms, such as whether a deposit is required/
C17PSGR likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s not possible to file BRG claims against rates found on hotels’ standalone websites.
well ... sure, I guess they approved my claim then in error. Never mind Will be great to hear from Marriott how Book-secure.com is one of their own booking channels.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its not possible to file BRG claims against rates found on hotels standalone websites.
Really? I have no personal experience but I would think it is BRGable.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
I have been successful in the past. It'll depend a bit on circumstances, but the one in the OP seems a pretty clear-cut case for LNF/BRG
TerryK and bhrubin like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Plat, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
This hotels website seems to be completely against Marriotts policy. The domain name is hotel specific and does not follow Bonvoys templates. Its a different booking system altogether, no mention of the loyalty program and they even have their own standalone best rate guarantee program (10% off the competing rate) for bookings made directly with the property (and outside Marriotts channels). My guess is their contract with Marriott is going to be over sometime soon and theyre getting ready to go solo.
This specific website has been available since the SPG times so doubt that this Westin will be leaving soon. The owner "Event hotels" also owns the Sheraton Berlin Grand, Westin Leipzig and Westin Bellevue Dresden which are all bookable through the owners website (eventhotels.com) and hotel linked websites such as Westin-Berlin.com. I doubt Marriott is not aware.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

I tried to BRG the rate but was told "couldn't verify the rate". It's there at 10-20% less than marriott.com but they can't verify it. They didn't mention anything about being the internal hotel web site.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
From the LNF T&Cs:
Comparing Marriott channel rates to those found during later searches on Marriott channels (including Marriott-affiliated, private label, or property standalone websites) are not eligible for the guarantee.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Curious ... is there a code associated with the rates on the hotel site that you can book through the Marriott site?
Old May 30, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

FYI. I was able to BRG the rate and ended up at the Westin. If you get a renovated room it's a great place at a great rate! The renovated rooms are a bit of a hike but worth it. (In an annex down a long hallway from the main atrium)
margarita girl likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.