Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Status Has Me Worried About Complaining & Getting Booted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lifetime Status Has Me Worried About Complaining & Getting Booted

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jed012788
How often do people actually complain? What does "complain" even mean in this context? Are people frequently lodging formal complaints with Marriott corporate?
There are likely people who make a complaint every single time they stay hoping for something......
polinka likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr

Not that I actually think Marriott would take LT away
Then what is the purpose of your original post?
Old May 11, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Perhaps this should be a separate thread - but by way of example, I am going to Asia soon for a quick weekend, but I'm not sure which country yet - and likely won't decide until a week before based on work (i.e. is midnight flight from Atlanta to Seoul more convenient than a daytime flight from DTW or MSP, etc. etc.)... anything wrong with, let's say for example, having simultaneous reservations in Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai, and Beijing for the same weekend, and then cancelling three of the four, 2 to 5 days before?
I do this all the time (well 4-5 times a year), usually involves multiple programs, but also usually at least 2 of reservations are Bonvoy
Old May 12, 2019, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Maybe the initial post/title were poorly phrased... this is what I'm more concerned about - though the thread was more of a getting booted in general, for various reasons

Speculative Bookings/Duplicate Bookings
Old May 12, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Maybe the initial post/title were poorly phrased... this is what I'm more concerned about - though the thread was more of a getting booted in general, for various reasons

I am sure you can find a way to get booted, in particular if you repeatedly break the rules and don't respond to warnings. For simply complaining about service failures ... they will stop listening to you, but that's about it.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez

OK, you started this thread off by fretting over getting the boot for too much complaining. The you morphed it to worrying over eating too much expensive breakfast on cheap rates. Now it's speculative booking? I honestly can't tell if you're trolling us at this point or if you're just trying to keep your thread going at any cost or maybe it's something else entirely? I suppose next you'll clarify that what you actually meant is that you're worried sick about how Marriott might take a dim view of how often you book their properties and in doing so consume more than your fair share of elite benefits.
margarita girl and jrpallante like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
But let's take the Westin Bonaventure for example, there you get breakfast in the restaurant which I have been told is $40+ (I'd be surprised if it is less than $30 - best breakfast ever) - multiply that by two people... wouldn't Marriott beancounters count that as $80 in breakfast (even if you eat $10 worth of food), then you have the Titanium point bonus, the double point promo, etc... And suddenly if you have someone paying $150/night or less, Marriott may conclude it's better to boot the person, especially if they have, just by way of a crazy example, $80,000 worth of points...

Likely my fear is irrational, but still - you'd think Marriott would want to get rid of Lifetimers who don't spend much per night and get a lot of benefits.
This is the reasoning of an individual customer, not a business that serves millions of customers. You look at it as a single instance of a $150 room with, say, $120 in benefits. Marriott is not only looking at that one instance, but a million people staying in their hotels, paying various room rates, and collecting various benefits. For every $150 room you stay in, someone is paying for a $500 room and receiving no benefits.

Don't think for a minute that the rate you (and others) pay for a room doesn't take into account all the benefits and promotions. Marriott doesn't set a room rate and then independently set benefits. All of that is factored in, with years of history as evidence of how both revenue and expenses will play out.

If Marriott feels like the LT program is no longer a good business opportunity, they'll change the program long before they'll look at individuals they feel are not profitable enough.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by CPRich
No, I'm not worried about this in the least. Your $8 breakfast cost is a rounding error on a rounding error on a rounding error for a $20B company. Even 200 of them a year.
Not to mention that a lot of the elite benefits get paid for by the properties, while Marriott corporate handles Bonvoy membership. So it's someone else's $8.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:27 am

Don't mistake price for cost

Originally Posted by JBord
This is the reasoning of an individual customer, not a business that serves millions of customers. You look at it as a single instance of a $150 room with, say, $120 in benefits. Marriott is not only looking at that one instance, but a million people staying in their hotels, paying various room rates, and collecting various benefits. For every $150 room you stay in, someone is paying for a $500 room and receiving no benefits.

Don't think for a minute that the rate you (and others) pay for a room doesn't take into account all the benefits and promotions. Marriott doesn't set a room rate and then independently set benefits. All of that is factored in, with years of history as evidence of how both revenue and expenses will play out.

If Marriott feels like the LT program is no longer a good business opportunity, they'll change the program long before they'll look at individuals they feel are not profitable enough.
Touche! Furthermore, do not mistake price for cost. Marriott is not spending $30-40 to provide you a "free" breakfast.
JBord likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by MarkCron
I do this all the time (well 4-5 times a year), usually involves multiple programs, but also usually at least 2 of reservations are Bonvoy
I wouldn't say "all the time", but can say "when necessary"...which isn't often. Fortunately, hotels/individual programs do not have the same restrictions on duplicate bookings as air carriers do.

MBV does specifically state in T&C you can't earn nights for overlapping stays at different properties, but that's a different matter entirely.

cheers!
Old May 14, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE

Then why not cut to the chase rather than take 34 posts to get there? Unless MBV knows who you are IRL (I didn't check), there's no need to be coy about it.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
This is quite possibly the strangest post I have read in some time.

OP, I think you are safe.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by slpybear
This is quite possibly the strangest post I have read in some time.

OP, I think you are safe.
Well, I kind of want the OP booted now...

Just kidding
slpybear likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If more than half of your 1.2 million points were the results of complaints (rather than stays, credit card usage, etc.) I'd worry about getting kicked out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.